shape
carat
color
clarity

Someone posted two of my FCD pics on Pintrest

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would be interesting to see...not sure how.. But betting there are quite a few PS pieces on there.... Likely from many active PS members... I just joined... I don't know jack about it... But because I joined through FB I probably wouldn't pin jewelry... I save that passion to share with the rest of the crazy, obsessed people here....I like being a different name in the crowd. If you know me...please don't out me!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elisateach|1343501973|3242128 said:
Guilty! I have pinned several beautiful pieces on my Pinterest boards,but always right from here so the link goes back to pricescope. BTW. Kenny if you google fancy colored diamonds look what comes up Half way down the image results! With your name and everything!
http://www.google.com/search?q=fancy+colored+diamonds&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2zIUUI2iMIb88gS_x4HYDQ&ved=0CDoQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=928&sei=SzQUUIvCG4-08ATdkICYCA#

I think it's a form of flattery someone loved what I do and wants to look at it . I do understand those of you who feel stalked though, it is kinda weird. I posted several completed craft projects and it was strange seeing all the people who repinned my work.

I think if the link comes back to the original blog or whatever it is good.
FWIW Kenny I really think your photography skills are professional and I would buy your pictures to use as art in my home! Let me know if you take PayPal!! :)

Thank you very much.
I'm seriously considering going pro, but would lose my freedom here on PS to post like the butthead you all know and love. :devil:

BTW I clicked on your google link.
Click on the FIRST pic, then scroll down.
Again no attribution.
I think if I go pro I'd be tempted to watermark my website onto the FCD pics I post on PS.
But that would probably get me banned.
Civilian status is really nice.

screen_shot_2012-07-28_at_2.png

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was first introduced to Pinterest when my sister's friend asked me if I would send her pictures of my ring so she could pin them. I went on there and found that my ring was already on Pinterest, as well as many other PSers' rings. Honestly, I wasn't surprised. We post these pictures on a public forum that anyone can access.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I think it's one thing pin the photos for enjoyment and another to write long excerpts about fancy colored diamonds and then using someone else's photo without acknowledgement. I wouldn't care if someone uses my very average photos but since Kenny you're considering going pro, I think you need to take steps to protect your images.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Here are two ways of searching to see if one of your images has been used without your permission on the internet.

http://www.tineye.com/
http://images.google.com/

There is also a very interesting discussion about this on the blog of the writer I referenced earlier (although after a closer look I think she's from the US, not the UK). I'm not familiar with her work, but the discussion about copyright and the perspectives of professional photographers was illuminating. Google "Roni Loren copyright" and the discussion should pop up.

In one of the discussions about this topic that popped up on a different blog-- which of course I can't find now--is that if you are a professional photographer, random people on the web posting your images reduces the value of those images for people who might otherwise be prepared to pay for the rights. So in Kenny's case, he's less likely to be able to get income for his beautiful FCD photos if they are findable all over the place, including on Pinterest.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1343497230|3242094 said:
If I see my pics used by a for-profit business like a jeweler I think I'd take action.
This happened to me recently. I happen to "like" a PS vendor on an well used social networking website so I could have bling all over my homepage every day. Lo and behold, one day my own hand with one of my rings on it (and I know my hand very well, thankyouverymuch. That freckle is good for something) pops up on their feed linking back to their website for that variety of colored stone.

I emailed the president of the company after about 30 minutes of thinking about it. It was gone almost immediately. It was great to see compliments on my ring, but the way it was phrased, it felt like the company was taking credit for something they had no part in (they had manufactured the ring, I had bought it secondhand, and set one of Barry Bridgestock's stones in it, their link back to their site was for the variety of center stone).

I wasn't thrilled with it. It felt kind of dirty when I saw it come up. I think if it had been some random passerby posting it to their pintrest, that would have been fine, but I felt like the company was using something that they weren't involved in (combining their setting with my center stone to promote sales of their selection of that variety of stone). And that left a bad taste in my mouth.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1343571670|3242448 said:
Here are two ways of searching to see if one of your images has been used without your permission on the internet.

http://www.tineye.com/
http://images.google.com/

There is also a very interesting discussion about this on the blog of the writer I referenced earlier (although after a closer look I think she's from the US, not the UK). I'm not familiar with her work, but the discussion about copyright and the perspectives of professional photographers was illuminating. Google "Roni Loren copyright" and the discussion should pop up.

In one of the discussions about this topic that popped up on a different blog-- which of course I can't find now--is that if you are a professional photographer, random people on the web posting your images reduces the value of those images for people who might otherwise be prepared to pay for the rights. So in Kenny's case, he's less likely to be able to get income for his beautiful FCD photos if they are findable all over the place, including on Pinterest.

Thank you.

BTW one thing that protects the income of pros is resolution.

Bandwidth is expensive so sites like PS only allow compressed pics in formats like jpg and png that are 2 MB or smaller in file size.
Originals right out of my current camera are RAW uncompressed 14-bit files that are 16.2 MB.
After processing some can exceed 25 MB, and I have a camera on order which takes 36 MB pics.

All of my pics on PS look blurry and small compared to the original, and if a business were to use them in any ad print copy they would look unacceptable.
Even for online use the ability to click on a 3" pic to see a 15"+ full-resolution pic is valuable.
If you were to see the originals on a large screen monitor or printed out on a large print the impact is eye-popping, almost 3-D.
When someone pays a pro they may get contracted use of the full-size, full-resolution files or prints.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I agree with you,Kenny. I'd be upset in the context shown. That it's a write up about colored diamonds and there's your picture with no credit or permission. That,to me, is entirely different than just "pinning" it on a page of favorites.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results