carat
color
clarity

Someone posted two of my FCD pics on Pintrest

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure how to feel about this.
It would have been nice if they asked for permission or to get credit for taking the pic.
They clearly lifted the pics from PS, and therefore know my name.

http://pinterest.com/search/?q=fancy+colored+diamonds

If you bought these FCDs and took these pics would this bug you?
Do I own copywrite to these pics or is this simply fair use and the way it is now on the Internet.

Would you ask them to take them down, or just consider it a compliment and leave it at that?

screen_shot_2012-07-27_at_11.png

screen_shot_2012-07-27_at_3.png

justginger

Ideal_Rock
If I were you, I would be miffed. However, once you post then to a public domain, they are no longer "your's."

The solution would be to create a watermark for all of your future images. And take down everything you have on here now, replacing them with watermarked images. Then at least credit goes where it is due. You've put a lot of time, money, and effort into your gorgeous photos and deserve to have that acknowledged wherever they are seen.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Compliment. No one is EVER EVER EVER going to ask your permission to pin something on Pinterest. I certainly don't. The whole point of Pinterest is to pin things you like from the internet -- most people *want* things they've put on the interwebs pinned.

This mostly seems like fake concern to point out that people have pinned your images. But, sure, watermark your pictures in the future.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't this one from Lauren the Partier?

screen_shot_2012-07-28_at_12.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sillyberry|1343459860|3241908 said:
Compliment. No one is EVER EVER EVER going to ask your permission to pin something on Pinterest. I certainly don't. The whole point of Pinterest is to pin things you like from the internet -- most people *want* things they've put on the interwebs pinned.

This mostly seems like fake concern to point out that people have pinned your images. But, sure, watermark your pictures in the future.

Fake concern?
Huh?

I've never gone to pintrest before and know nothing about it.
I'm not very tech savy, I don't even have a FB or twitter account, so I started this thread to learn about what's standard on pintrest.

By watermark do you mean something like this...

BTW, I post pics here I find on google searches all the time without attribution.
So maybe this is just the way of the world now.
I was just surprised to see my pics there.

BTW, what is the point of Pinterest?

001s.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Fake concern...closely related to the humblebrag.

But, since you've said I should have given you the benefit of the doubt, Pinterest is a way to pin things that you find on the internet on a virtual bulletin board -- there was a big thread about it not long ago. Generally the images link back to where they came from on the internet, so a picture of a fruit tart will link back to the recipe, a picture of a couch will link back to the store you can purchase it from, a DIY craft will link back to the blog that created it. It's good pin etiquette to link to the original site (or to repin a pin that links to an original site).

There is an intellectual property policy on Pinterest, but it isn't clear to me what exactly they consider to be an infringement: Pinterest ("Pinterest") respects the intellectual property rights of others and expects its users to do the same. It is Pinterest’s policy, in appropriate circumstances and at its discretion, to disable and/or terminate the accounts of users who repeatedly infringe or are repeatedly charged with infringing the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of others. Since pinning is the whole model, it doesn't work if pinning other people's work isn't allowed. I certainly don't produce anything worth pinning so my boards would be barren.

Watermarks can either be obtrusive (such as the one you posted) or unobtrusive (such as the word "kenny" on the bottom corner). Most people who want their image not to be used by others (like someone who posts a graphic design of an invitation) do the former; those who just want credit (like a photographer) but don't want to mar the image do the latter. In your case, since you just want recognition, the latter would probably be sufficient.

You can also consider pinning your own watermarked images on a FCD board, making sure they link back to where you want them to go. People would probably repin, but it would at least give you a modicum of control.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
There are photos of most of the jewellery posted on PS on pinterest! I really wouldn't be offended at all -I would be happy that someone liked them enough to add them to their board. I don't understand what there is to be annoyed about.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, watermarking your pics is a good idea so you get credit for the photos (& diamonds). Everyone is right, the point of Pinterest is to put up stuff that gives you a thrill, so it's definitely a compliment. Your photos and stones are magnif -- so strut a little that strangers think so too.

The couple of times I've looked at Pinterest, I've really enjoyed browsing the pretty stuff there. People will get the same happiness from looking at your photos. It's reality that once something's anywhere on the net, the poster essentially loses control of it. That's why the adage not to write anything you wouldn't want to see on the newspaper's front page.

--- Laurie

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Heeeey...I just found Poppy's photos on there as well! It's strange, not knowing what becomes of your images once you post them. I think it's flattering...but a bit weird. :wacko:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1343458611|3241902 said:
If I were you, I would be miffed. However, once you post then to a public domain, they are no longer "your's."

The solution would be to create a watermark for all of your future images. And take down everything you have on here now, replacing them with watermarked images. Then at least credit goes where it is due. You've put a lot of time, money, and effort into your gorgeous photos and deserve to have that acknowledged wherever they are seen.

The bolded is actually not correct. There was a very interesting series of posts on this recently on several book-related forums I frequent. Just because you post a photo on the internet does not mean that it is now available for anyone else to use, even on a site like Pinterest. Pinterest's TOS specifically state that when you post something there, you own the rights to the images pinned, and you are not infringing on the rights (including copyright)of anyone else for anything you pin. So if you have posted someone else's copyrighted images without their permission, you are violating the TOS.

In your case, Kenny, you certainly own the copyright to your own images, and while you are free to post those images where you choose, that doesn't mean anyone else has the right to do so, and you could theoretically contact Pinterest and demand that the images be taken down.

In one recent instance, a UK author/blogger posted a photo on her blog. The original copyright owner (a professional photographer) contacted her with a take-down notice, and then even though she removed the photo immediately, he charged her for the use of the image. After much back and forth and involvement of lawyers on both sides, she ended up having to pay for using the image. Bottom line: just because you can find an image on Google images doesn't mean you can use it anywhere you want.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
How does pinterest work? I understand you have to be invited to join (just hit the button) then what? once you are a member, how do you view collections? For example, how would you see that Kenny's diamond picks have been "pinned" - do you search a certain way?

Pinterest is new to me - I'm old school and have mastered email, PS and rarely do anything with FB (but I can still log on and look!)
Can you instruct a moron as to the intricacies of Pinterest? :read:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1343477940|3241949 said:

The bolded is actually not correct. There was a very interesting series of posts on this recently on several book-related forums I frequent. Just because you post a photo on the internet does not mean that it is now available for anyone else to use, even on a site like Pinterest. Pinterest's TOS specifically state that when you post something there, you own the rights to the images pinned, and you are not infringing on the rights (including copyright)of anyone else for anything you pin. So if you have posted someone else's copyrighted images without their permission, you are violating the TOS.

In your case, Kenny, you certainly own the copyright to your own images, and while you are free to post those images where you choose, that doesn't mean anyone else has the right to do so, and you could theoretically contact Pinterest and demand that the images be taken down.

In one recent instance, a UK author/blogger posted a photo on her blog. The original copyright owner (a professional photographer) contacted her with a take-down notice, and then even though she removed the photo immediately, he charged her for the use of the image. After much back and forth and involvement of lawyers on both sides, she ended up having to pay for using the image. Bottom line: just because you can find an image on Google images doesn't mean you can use it anywhere you want.

Interesting, Aoife. I was under the impression that it became public property. I am pleased it does not and stand happily corrected. :))

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, realizing that stuff from PS is going to be linked on Pinterest is an unpleasant feeling. I don't think any of my images are really going to end up there, but still. Seeing that photo of a handful of rings end up on Pinterest ... a little unnerving to me. I like posting on PS because I know it's a community of like-minded people. Sure there are lurkers, but they are still PS-lurkers. But Pinterest... it's so huge... who knows who might see this stuff. And possibly recognize you? And come back to PS and learn all about your PS-identity? Hmpf :blackeye:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to point out that there is a Pin It button on every post. If I'm remembering correctly, easier pinning was something people wanted so they could, in fact, pin the pretties.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Once PS added the Pin It button, everyone's photos became pinnable. I've pinned a few photos of rings from PS onto my board. It's a great way to keep photos together!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I agree with the watermark suggestion. You could put something like "Kenny @ Pricescope.com" on every photo you post. You don't need to post it over the actual image, just at the bottom of the pic. That way if anyone pins your photos, at least you will get the recognition/credit.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think watermarking your photos is a great idea Kenny, if you're sensitive to having anyone do anything with your images other than you. You could also look into how to make photos non-saveable/non-downloadable - I'm not sure if that's simply a setting you click when saving an image or requires a program.

That being said, I'm surprised you're surprised that your images have appeared anywhere else on the web. It's the World Wide Web for a reason - you are not just sharing your images with close friends and family at a dinner party, you're putting it out there to share with the whole world! You have no way of knowing who is looking at them, what might become of them, what any one person might want to do with them, or the broad range of values, morals, and etiquette practices of the people viewing your content.

I always approach uploading anything to the web with caution for this very reason. If I am not willing to share openly and with the understanding that *anyone* has access to it and may do *anything* with it, I simply don't post it. And if someone thinks that something I shared is also cool too, I'm flattered - not flustered, because laws or regulations aside, I fully anticipated my uploaded content would be a free-for-all once I hit 'Save'.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Justginger, I know, I was a little surprised, too.

Once I read the TOS on Pinterest I lost interest in using it because it seemed problematical to me. Even images that are posted on creative commons sites may not be safe to use, and crediting the image, or linking back to the owner of the image doesn't cover you if the owner of the copyright chooses to object. There is a search engine that allows you search the internet to see if anyone has posted a specific image, and increasingly those search engines are being used to track down even innocuous use of images so the owners of the images can come after you. I can't remember the name of the search engine, but if I find it again I'll post it here.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand your concern, Kenny - although copying and using photos does seem like the way of the world now.

Maybe one of PS's more computer savvy posters could help you create a watermark worthy of your beautiful photos? (hint hint) I'd offer, but that just ain't me! BTW the watermark could even include text about not re-using, or not re-using without attribution...

BTW, I hadn't seen that second FCD photo before 0 beautiful!!! (and I can certainly understand why someone would want to have it in their collection!)

lapelirroja

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to say I've definitely seen Yssie's ring pinned MULTIPLE times. And lots of AVCs (and lets be honest, most people have no idea what an AVC is unless they frequent Pricescope).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1343485638|3241987 said:
Once PS added the Pin It button, everyone's photos became pinnable. I've pinned a few photos of rings from PS onto my board. It's a great way to keep photos together!

I agree. The "pin it" button has made it easy for anyone to pin any photo.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1343478767|3241957 said:
How does pinterest work? I understand you have to be invited to join (just hit the button) then what? once you are a member, how do you view collections? For example, how would you see that Kenny's diamond picks have been "pinned" - do you search a certain way?

Pinterest is new to me - I'm old school and have mastered email, PS and rarely do anything with FB (but I can still log on and look!)
Can you instruct a moron as to the intricacies of Pinterest? :read:

I am not a member.
I just went to www.pintrest.com.. .
Then I entered Fancy Colored Diamonds in their search field in the upper left corner.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pinterest is a copyright nightmare! Personally, I try only to pin things that are either mine, from people I know don't mind being pinned (or even encourage friends to pin their work) or from sites with a "Pin It" button. My own personal guidelines are that I only put online pictures that I truly don't care if they are shared, pinned or copied. Putting up a personal photo was a huge step for me and I only did it because this photo was going on a publication anyway. I encourage friends to share pictures of my work, since it is good publicity for me (although I know I always run the risk of ending up on Regretsy or similar site). I should watermark them, however.

But Pinterest is really only the tip of the iceberg. How often do people post a picture not their own on Facebook or on a blog?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm going to just fergeraboutit.

Pintrest's copyright dispute requires I give them my full name, address and phone number; no thanks:
http://pinterest.com/about/copyright/?pin_id=41939840249992100

If I see my pics used by a for-profit business like a jeweler I think I'd take action.

Oh and Sillyberry, I am not the least bit fake-humble about my work.
I am proud of it.

I love that what I do brings pleasure to people.
Frankly the more I think about it I'm delighted more can enjoy it via pintrest, even if I don't get attribution or get to read posts with oohs and aahs.

Like everyone I naturally have an ego, but I reject the training that it is a negative thing that we should be ashamed of.
I am aware this goes against the niceness-training many people receive as children.
People vary.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, I think Pricescope owns some rights to every pic we upload here.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
As I recall, people complaining about their "pictures being re-posted" hasn't gone well around here. Usually the people are soon chased off into the ether with their tails between their legs. Nothing says "self-involved J-hole" like a watermark.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Guilty! I have pinned several beautiful pieces on my Pinterest boards,but always right from here so the link goes back to pricescope. BTW. Kenny if you google fancy colored diamonds look what comes up Half way down the image results! With your name and everything!
http://www.google.com/search?q=fancy+colored+diamonds&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2zIUUI2iMIb88gS_x4HYDQ&ved=0CDoQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=928&sei=SzQUUIvCG4-08ATdkICYCA#

I think it's a form of flattery someone loved what I do and wants to look at it . I do understand those of you who feel stalked though, it is kinda weird. I posted several completed craft projects and it was strange seeing all the people who repinned my work.

I think if the link comes back to the original blog or whatever it is good.
FWIW Kenny I really think your photography skills are professional and I would buy your pictures to use as art in my home! Let me know if you take PayPal!! :)

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
decodelighted|1343497671|3242097 said:
As I recall, people complaining about their "pictures being re-posted" hasn't gone well around here. Usually the people are soon chased off into the ether with their tails between their legs. Nothing says "self-involved J-hole" like a watermark.

It's been a long time since I snorted wine over a laptop... :bigsmile:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jennifer W|1343502569|3242134 said:
decodelighted|1343497671|3242097 said:

It's been a long time since I snorted wine over a laptop... :bigsmile:

Winemark?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1343477940|3241949 said:

The bolded is actually not correct. ...........
Bottom line: just because you can find an image on Google images doesn't mean you can use it anywhere you want.

Aoife is right (at least in the U.S.). Here, copyright owners do not surrender legal right to their copyrights by loading their works onto publicly accessible sites.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results