shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel there is something to be said for the fact that nice spinels are often highly flourescent in direct sunlight. And thus in direct sunlight or very well lit enviroments, they can look a bit different from how they look the rest of the time. So you may also want to see lots of pictures in different lighting conditions. For example on the back of someones hand at night under flourescent lights.

I understand that jdei spinels are supposed to be bright in any light (I think Arkieb even has pictures and a small collection of videos on youtube showing this). Not withstanding this point, unless you have a lab report with origin included it would be silly to pay a premium for a stone labeled 'jedi' spinel wihout being able to check how it looked in a lot of different lighting. And even if you had this paper work as I understand it the term was coined by richard wise to describe stones that never went dark and never exhibited any grey cast (while there seems to be a few locations famous for producing this stuff, not everything from these localities will meet that description). Some of these stones may be difficult to return if they dont live up to expectations, or may not even be returnable. So it makes sense to ask as many questions as possible upfront. Otherwise 'jedi', 'cornflower', 'pidgeon blood red' can be broad categories which suffer from some degree of interpretaion issues, and they may not exactly match the attributes you are presupposing they describe.

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel there is something to be said for the fact that nice spinels are often highly flourescent in direct sunlight. And thus in direct sunlight or very well lit enviroments, they can look a bit different from how they look the rest of the time. So you may also want to see lots of pictures in different lighting conditions. For example on the back of someones hand at night under flourescent lights.

I understand that jdei spinels are supposed to be bright in any light (I think Arkieb even has pictures and a small collection of videos on youtube showing this). Not withstanding this point, unless you have a lab report with origin included it would be silly to pay a premium for a stone labeled 'jedi' spinel wihout being able to check how it looked in a lot of different lighting. And even if you had this paper work as I understand it the term was coined by richard wise to describe stones that never went dark and never exhibited any grey cast (while there seems to be a few locations famous for producing this stuff, not everything from these localities will meet that description). Some of these stones may be difficult to return if they dont live up to expectations, or may not even be returnable. So it makes sense to ask as many questions as possible upfront. Otherwise 'jedi', 'cornflower', 'pidgeon blood red' can be broad categories which suffer from some degree of interpretaion issues, and they may not exactly match the attributes you are presupposing they describe.

Thank you for such an informative post. Sometimes we get carried away when we see something new. It’s nice to see a post like this that reminds us to take a minute and really think over all the different aspects. :mrgreen2:

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful stone which reads reddish pink to me on the photos but the seller (who is very nice btw) describes it as red. Perhaps some more photos against a white background would be helpful. I was looking at Africa Gems and they are now having a 25% off sale. Check out their site to look at the different shades of red spinel to help you judge what is your ideal red.

25% off? I’m off to browse the shop now..:P2 There’s always those ones I’ve had my eye on for a while. :twisted2:

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, she’s been fantastic. Im expecting more photos tomorrow. So hopefully they’ll give more insight on the color.

Appreciate you pointing me to the Africagems site and sale! Looking it over, I am clearly drawn to the vivid reds. And why is it my eyes went straight to the 2.6ct oval?! :lol: There’s also a beautiful purplish red Asscher cut that looks yummy.

I find that the longer I hang around PS the more expensive my tastes become. Now when I browse through gems, my eye immediately finds (and loves) the ideally colored and most expensive gems. Sometimes I long for the days before I knew anything. :lol:

Ps. That red oval was the first one I noticed too. ;)2

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that the longer I hang around PS the more expensive my tastes become. Now when I browse through gems, my eye immediately finds (and loves) the ideally colored and most expensive gems. Sometimes I long for the days before I knew anything. :lol:

Ps. That red oval was the first one I noticed too. ;)2

Right? The longer we stay on PS the more we look for colored stones with the "it" factor.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for such an informative post. Sometimes we get carried away when we see something new. It’s nice to see a post like this that reminds us to take a minute and really think over all the different aspects. :mrgreen2:

Thank you. You own such gorgeous spinels, I have always been a fan both your pink/red spinel rings :dance:. I also had been privately worried the post was going to be incoherent, as I had keep breaking off to rangle my daughter out of the edible chinese new year decorrations. 20190206_203209.jpg 20190206_203933.jpg

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. You own such gorgeous spinels, I have always been a fan both your pink/red spinel rings :dance:. I also had been privately worried the post was going to be incoherent, as I had keep breaking off to rangle my daughter out of the edible chinese new year decorrations. 20190206_203209.jpg 20190206_203933.jpg

Well... why do they have them there if they’re not meant to be eaten? :lol:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well... why do they have them there if they’re not meant to be eaten? :lol:

Lol I don't know. They are auspicious. So the resteraunts and office towers are full of them.

But it was impossible to explain to a 12month old that everything else in the resteraunt was for eating, except for the trees which (while also being edible) were actually there to be admired.

Chinese new year dinner has somewhere arround 20 courses, and goes on foreever. The tables are surounded by edible trees, and nothing is more interesting to a 12 month old than the thing that she has been told she is not allowed to have.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Lol I don't know. They are auspicious. So the resteraunts and office towers are full of them.

But it was impossible to explain to a 12month old that everything else in the resteraunt was for eating, except for the trees which (while also being edible) were actually there to be admired.

Chinese new year dinner has somewhere arround 20 courses, and goes on foreever. The tables are surounded by edible trees, and nothing is more interesting to a 12 month old than the thing that she has been told she is not allowed to have.

Aha... those toddlers.

We always had hot pot. Now, I’m interested in this 20 course dinner for next year (Minus eating decorations). :think:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Aha... those toddlers.

We always had hot pot. Now, I’m interested in this 20 course dinner for next year (Minus eating decorations). :think:

I think it is just a mixture of cognitive dissonance and too much baijiu -- things seen to start out ok with a 12 course banquet menue and several bottles of baijiu. And then after a few rounds of ganbei (in particular, every pair of individuals at the tabel individually wishing each other good fortune for the new year - repeated several times over), the 12 courses somehow magically turn into 20 because no-ones childhood favourite food was in the original set menue (which is stuffed with foods which I don't think people usually eat like abalone and birdsnest) and everyone is being especially generous.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m with your daughter on this one. Those babies are begging to be plucked off. Just look at them. :mrgreen2: :lol:

voce

Ideal_Rock

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are we allowed to post eBay auctions? There's a killer ring that is being auctioned for charity that I can't afford. :cry2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s so pretty.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results