shape
carat
color
clarity

some more diamond questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrchips

Rough_Rock
hi all,

okay i saw another private jeweller last night.

these are the two diamonds i looked at. ALL PRICES IN CANADIAN DOLLAR!!!

Diamond 1 - .80, VVS2 - Ideal Cut, Round, D Colour - $8,500 with NO SETTING or side stones

Diamond 2 - .98, VS2 - Good to Medium Cut, Princess, G Colour (5.66 x 5.54 x 3.90) - $7,000 with NO SETTING or side stones. (this one really shined and was super clean and clear. it looked beautiful)

so the jeweller last night said the following things.

For round cut and if you''re looking for a Carat, for it to be truly a carat, and not a carat just by weight, the dimensions have to be or should be about 6.5 mm or 6.6 mm. Is this true? like she said it might be a carat by weight by not a carat visually to someone who knows diamonds and what not.

FOr princess cut she said the dimensions should be for One Carat around 5.6 to 5.8 mm. Is this true?

i asked for more informatiom about like table % etc...but she didn''t have that info so i couldn''t get it.

are these diamonds worth it?

or are they too much money for no setting and just stone?

and also, she had this special (or so she said it was special) white paper that folded up and you put the diamond in it and you can see its true colour. if anyone has heard of this, where can you get this paper?

thanks all for the help

mr. chips

avlis

Shiny_Rock
run away from that dealer

ok, to preface i am just a consumer, like you, not an expert... but...

ok $8500 canadien, thats like $2.50 US right? hehe ok, just kidding.. lets see the conversion... ok according to google, $1 canadien = $0.85 US so those stones are $7225 and $5950.
you could get this stone for $1000USD less and i am pretty sure it will be a better cut stone, and its bigger. although i dont know what import tarrifs will do to the price.

second, a carat is a carat is a carat. there is no "truely a carat" there are poorly cut stone that dont look like a carat, but they still are a carat. at least she got the 6.5mm size right.

i dont know much about princess cuts so i wont comment on that.

Third HUGE point, if she doesnt have the numbers, table depth, crown angle, pavillion angles, then the stones are not certified, and you REALLY shouldnt buy an un-certifed stone (GIA/AGS preffered). if its not certified, who decided the color was D and the clarity was vvs1? her?

lastly, the "special" paper thing.. um, ya.. ANY WHITE PAPER will work, be it a business card of the back of an envelope. this person is lying to you. find someone else.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
different proportions give different dimensions.

FIC, 6.3mm would be fine. 6.4-6.5 is normal. 6.6 is rare for superideals.

princesses...about 5.5 for AGS 0 types.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, and yes, it is too much money for stones without major lab reports.

mrchips

Rough_Rock
thanks for the replys gentlemen/ladies.

i really appreciate it.

the little package the diamonds were in was certified by Gem Scan. i think its called that. and i asked for that extra info but she didn't have it.

okay so i need help then.

so those diamonds are to expensive then eh? i'm looking at getting a least a carat if that helps.

i live in Ontario. Toronto. and am looking for some quality diamonds/rings for an engagement ring. i'll even go to the US if its Buffallo or close to me like that.

i'm not sure if i'm allowed to ask this, so please excuse me if i'm not and just erase this part, but does ANYONE KNOW OF QUALITY DIAMONDS RETAILERS in and around TORONTO AREA etc...

or maybe some good quality dealers online. all these websites are in American Dollar and the exchange plus the surcharge we get charged for using credit card to conver to American dollar will kill me.

thanks

mr.chips

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock

mrchips

Rough_Rock
any other places. looking for places where i can eventually see the diamond first hand in person at the dealers.

mrchips

Rough_Rock
i''ve looked through some of the SHOW ME THE RING section and have seen comments that have said "Beauitful...perfect proportions..."

but what are the perfect porportions for princess and round shape for 1.00 carat rings.

is there a table somwhere i can look.

mrchips

Rough_Rock
bump...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When someone says something has perfect proportions, they are probably saying it has very close to Tolkowsky proportions.

There is no one perfect proportion, but a wide range. Besides, what is perfect to your friend may not be perfect to you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results