shape
carat
color
clarity

Some input please on expensive ring that has never been worn

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
First off, let me tell you that I LOVE the looks of this ring. I love the stone, and the style of the ring and the workmanship is nice, plus the very heavy (6mm in the back) euroshank that I had added after I got the ring makes the ring very comfortable on my hand.

I also love that I got a large matching stone (from the same lot) that I had planned on putting in a pendant some day..... so what's the problem? I've invested a lot of money in this ring and I have NEVER worn it. I've tried it on a hundred times and taken almost as many photos, but for some reason (probably the size) I have never worn it.

I got a quote to have the matching stone put into a pendant (once again, a large chunk of change) but I didn't go any further because I'm hesitant to put MORE money into this set if they are just going to lanquish in my jewelry box.

Every time I look at it, I think - wow! But everytime I go to my jewelry box to put on a ring, this one is never the one I choose.

I've thought of selling them (ring and stone) but if I did, I KNOW I would never be able to replace them... similar rings (and they aren't easy to find) that I have found online are a lot more than I spent....

Have any of you ever had a similar dilemma? What did you do?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Some input please on expensive ring that has never been

I put jewelry I love but don't wear on display - rings on a hand display on my desk, necklaces either in display boxes (especially if they're silver) or those bust necklace stand things (also near my desk, since that's wear I spend most of my time and wear I want the prettiest things to be so I can see them). My grandmother made jewelry that was like wearable sculpture, really gorgeous and amazing but not necessarily very wearable, so we use it as artwork. Pieces can just be taken out of the case to be worn, so it's not like we lose their usability. If you really love the ring and think it's amazing, but don't wear it, I recommend displaying it. If you have any other jewelry that you don't wear much, or make the pendant, you could make a cool little jewelry shadowbox wall display.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

ok now I MUST see a picture...oh please please please post.

That is a toughie. When I first joined PS I bought many CS and set them....never wore them and then sold most of the pieces I had set for under what I payed. I think it took me a while to figure out my jewerly style and what I liked vs. what I love and would wear. Now with that said is this piece versatile? Can you wear it daily or just special occasion? I understand that you don't want to have it sit in a jewelry box but if it is special I would say keep it. You don't want to look down the road from now and kick yourself for selling somthing you can't replace. Everything I have sold is definitely replaceable to me so I won't have any future regrets. For you though this set sounds like something you will not likely come across again so I would put more thought into it if you still want to sell.

Hope that helps!

NOW PLEASE POST PICTURES!!!!! I'm dying here! :naughty:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, I wasn't trying to be all secretive, I was more wanting some input to see if others have had the same dilemma. It's this one:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/9-1ct-natural-unheated-aquamarine-in-18k-wg-setting.161539/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/9-1ct-natural-unheated-aquamarine-in-18k-wg-setting.161539/[/URL]

I'll see if I have any photos of the matching pendant stone. I sold the oval that is in some of the photos, but kept the loose EC.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I think you should put it on right now!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a tennis bracelet that I spent quite a bit on (especially for me at the time) because I was going through a phase of getting what I thought were the "staples". But I'm not a bracelet person. I have worn it maybe twice. And I have a few other items that I think are beautiful, but never wear. I guess I hold on to them thinking maybe my tastes will change, and my lifestyle (bling and babies aren't always practical). And I can always sell them.

Do you wear rings or pendants more often?

Are there any reasons other than size that keep you from reaching for it?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

VapidLapid|1334170372|3168598 said:
I think you should put it on right now!

:bigsmile:

Here is a quicky photo of the matching stone - it is 12.21ct

DSC_0044.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

NKOTB|1334170564|3168603 said:
I have a tennis bracelet that I spent quite a bit on (especially for me at the time) because I was going through a phase of getting what I thought were the "staples". But I'm not a bracelet person. I have worn it maybe twice. And I have a few other items that I think are beautiful, but never wear. I guess I hold on to them thinking maybe my tastes will change, and my lifestyle (bling and babies aren't always practical). And I can always sell them.

Do you wear rings or pendants more often?

Are there any reasons other than size that keep you from reaching for it?

Probably the size... it just doesn't look like a "run some errands" ring...it looks more like I should be "going out", except that DH and I never "go out". I have other rings that are more blingy looking as far as stones and diamonds, but they are smaller, so I wear them "whenever and wherever", if that makes sense.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock

Holy moly that's BEAUTIFUL. I don't have any words of advice, just lots of emotes like :love: and :lickout: !

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock

Holy moly that's BEAUTIFUL. I don't have any words of advice, just lots of emotes like and !

Seconded. I love the color so much.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock

Hey, I'd wear it to go walk the dog! No, really, I totally would. My advice is that you put it on immediately and wear and enjoy it. But, if not, I'd be happy to keep it warm for you. :cheeky: :Up_to_something: :love:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wow, it is so beautiful! I'd say definitely keep it. Maybe make yourself wear it one day. Find an outfit to match, and just put it on.

distracts' idea about displaying it for its beauty also sounds great. Maybe on your work desk you could incorporate it somehow... instead of a flower or something :D

I also have a couple pieces that I never wear... some I wouldn't mind selling if I got organized enough, but others -- especially the ones that I know would be hard to replace -- I just admire, and let them wait for their hour. Who knows, maybe if not you, someone else in your family will adore that ring one day. Just give it love from a distance, even if it's not on your finger ;-)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

And the pendant stone! Omg :love:

Also wanted to add: it doesn't look too "go out." It's simple and sleek and amazing. I think you could make it versatile if you wanted to.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for your replies... maybe that is what I need to do... just WEAR it and see how I feel about it then... btw, I lightened (no photoshop or tweaking) the picture of the stone and it's closer now to what I see IRL.

DSC_0044.JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

As I started your story, i thought, yup, I've bought some things I regret and don't wear and feel guilty for spending the time and money on them only to have them languish in exile in a drawer somewhere.... I think it's normal. We think THIS ONE will be THE ONE... and bummer when it turns out not to light the fire we thought it would.

BUT... when i saw your thread and that photo of the companion stone - my EYES POPPED!!! Oh Colorluvr! that is a superb setting, stone and colour! I'm drooling!

Try wearing it every day (or every other day) for a week or so - see how you feel in it, how others react to it, how the light plays on it. Sometimes just seeing it again could be a trigger... I love it! It would make me happy to look at that gorgeous stone on my finger! :appl: :appl:

Hope you fall in love with it again.... :halo:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

When I inherited my grandmother's silverware I vowed that I wouldn't treat my good things like she treated hers. That silverware I got was never, ever used. Not once. She was saving it for a special occasion but no occasion ever ended up being special enough.

I wear my jewelry everywhere because it pleases me. If you like the ring, then wear it. Next time you go to the grocery store, put it on. It'll come easier after you do it once.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kismet|1334171745|3168636 said:
When I inherited my grandmother's silverware I vowed that I wouldn't treat my good things like she treated hers. That silverware I got was never, ever used. Not once. She was saving it for a special occasion but no occasion ever ended up being special enough.

I wear my jewelry everywhere because it pleases me. If you like the ring, then wear it. Next time you go to the grocery store, put it on. It'll come easier after you do it once.

That reminded me of a clip that has been attributed to Erma Bombeck, the humourist who died a few years ago of cancer. She had a whole list of "recommendations" for living life to its fullest - one of which was, don't save it for good - good is now! (or along those lines) which I believe is true. If we were to store up all the beautiful things we all possess and never see them because we are waiting for a special occassion - it just won't ever BE special enough. In reality, TODAY is special - bring out the good stuff - lets enjoy it now! :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

colorluvr|1334168605|3168571 said:
First off, let me tell you that I LOVE the looks of this ring. I love the stone, and the style of the ring and the workmanship is nice, plus the very heavy (6mm in the back) euroshank that I had added after I got the ring makes the ring very comfortable on my hand.

I also love that I got a large matching stone (from the same lot) that I had planned on putting in a pendant some day..... so what's the problem? I've invested a lot of money in this ring and I have NEVER worn it. I've tried it on a hundred times and taken almost as many photos, but for some reason (probably the size) I have never worn it.

I got a quote to have the matching stone put into a pendant (once again, a large chunk of change) but I didn't go any further because I'm hesitant to put MORE money into this set if they are just going to lanquish in my jewelry box.

Every time I look at it, I think - wow! But everytime I go to my jewelry box to put on a ring, this one is never the one I choose.

I've thought of selling them (ring and stone) but if I did, I KNOW I would never be able to replace them... similar rings (and they aren't easy to find) that I have found online are a lot more than I spent....

Have any of you ever had a similar dilemma? What did you do?

Beautiful ring, but I know how you feel. I have some beauties that are well made, and I should wear them more, but they sit in a bank vault. I can't bring myself to wear them though, but I should. Maybe there will come a day where you want to wear it more. I often alternate with wearing a ring for a long period, and then I switch it off with something else.

I don't think you should sell it because you'll never recoup your money, and aquas that saturated are as rare as hen's teeth.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a VERY VERY interesting thread!

When I read your first post, I thought "if you don't wear it - and won't wear it - or don't feel comfortable wearing it - then you MUST sell it".

THEN ............

You linked to the thread with the ring in it and my reaction was "OMG, KEEP IT, WEAR IT, LOVE IT" - sorry, I know I'm shouting!!!!!

So, the interesting thing for you to decide is:-

1. If you keep it, will you wear it?
2. You've seen other people's reactions to the ring so selling it will be very very easy I would think!!!

If you sold it, do you have other projects in mind that you think you may get more enjoyment and wear from?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Enerchi|1334171604|3168633 said:
Hope you fall in love with it again.... :halo:

See, that's the thing, I do still love it... I love looking at it, etc. etc. but I've never worn it and that is what bugs me. If I didn't still love it, it would be on DB right now. What brought this to a head was getting a quote for the pendant and then adding up everything I've spent so far on something that hasn't ever been worn.

Maybe I should convince DH to take me out to dinner this weekend and take it for a spin - lol...

LD|[1334172348|3168649 said:
This is a VERY VERY interesting thread!

When I read your first post, I thought "if you don't wear it - and won't wear it - or don't feel comfortable wearing it - then you MUST sell it".

THEN ............

You linked to the thread with the ring in it and my re]action was "OMG, KEEP IT, WEAR IT, LOVE IT" - sorry, I know I'm shouting!!!!!

So, the interesting thing for you to decide is:-

1. If you keep it, will you wear it?
2. You've seen other people's reactions to the ring so selling it will be very very easy I would think!!!
If you sold it, do you have other projects in mind that you think you may get more enjoyment and wear from?

I think starting this thread actually helped me to decide to "just wear it dammit"! I have a couple of more stones that I'd like to have set someday, but nothing that is pushing me to sell this.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay now having seen it... definitely don't sell it! (Or if you do, sell it to me for dirt cheap. I promise I'll wear it a lot.) What sort of "going out" do you think it needs to be worn for that you don't do? Can't you wear it just to see friends and family or to the movies or sports games or dinner? Or work, even? Just get a shirt in a similar aqua color, and grey slacks, and bam = instant perfect outfit and accessory. Or you don't even have to match colors, because that will look perfect with everything.

It sounds to me like maybe you aren't wearing it BECAUSE you like it so much. I do that sometime, like with my favorite shirts, I think "No, I don't feel like that one today, I want to wear it when people will see it." But that thinking leads to me NEVER wearing it because I never decide the occasion is good enough. I have been getting better about breaking myself of that habit. I do it with perfume as well, which is something I collect, and I don't want to "use up" bottles that will be hard to find again. Which is even lamer because unlike jewelry, perfume can go bad if it's not all used up within several years. That's also something I'm working on.

So if you can't just force yourself to wear it, get a ring stand and put it by your computer or wherever you spend a lot of time sitting, and see if looking at it constantly for a few weeks doesn't make you want to wear it more!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Damn! Such a wonderfully saturated aqua you have. I'd wear it in a heartbeat. You are correct that if you sell it, not only will you not recoup the original price, if you wanted to buy something like this again, you may never find it even if willing to spend more for it. It could be the size that will take some getting used to. Start by wearing it out for short periods of time - say while on the PC at home to get used to the feel. Leave it on your table as you work and enjoy the beautiful colour. Slowly build up your personal tolerance. Even if you eventually never wear it, I'd bet any family member would love to inherit that one sometime in the future.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

That is one of the most beautiful aquas I have ever seen... please wear it (carefully).

You will regret selling those stones if you do.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Why do you have to go somewhere to wear a ring?

I wear all kinds of fancy rings at home because I get to look at them. That's what rings are; toys for big girls to play with, conveniently located at the end of my arm. :cheeky:

Just because other people aren't looking at it, doesn't mean you can't look at it. You're worthy of looking at and enjoying it.

It's an amazing color, cool cut. What's not to love? :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I wear my high heels on the couch at home.

Just sayin'.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is by far the prettiest aqua I have ever seen, the color is amazing...wear it and enjoy it!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous aqua ring. I have a Barry Bridgestock aqua that I've been thinking about setting for years, but haven't, so I know what you mean. I also have a pearl and aqua bracelet that doesn't get worn a lot, because it is just too fancy for the office. I wear it to the theater or the opera, which we get to every few years. But, I'm keeping them.

You have a big, fancy ring and sometimes those are hard to wear. Can't wear gloves, hard to write with a pencil, hard to reach into pockets or purse. But, I think it is all right to keep your ring, wear it once in a while, as long as it gives you pleasure to look at it.

If you put it on DB, I sure hope I get it, but I'm pretty sure I won't wear it much more than you do. Lovely ring. :wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

That is simply a gorgeous aqua & as said before, if you wanted to replace it again, you probably wouldn't be able to. I'm in the KEEP ITgroup. :appl: I have a necklace of my grandmother's that I didn't wear for 20 yrs, almost sold it a couple of times. Then one day as I was getting ready for work, I had an impulse to put it on -- & went nuts for it! It's now one of my favorite pieces. I don't know what happens -- tastes change, things look better on you at different ages, styles move on, whatever, but if something of that quality doesn't make your heart pitty-pat now, it will in time.

Advice to just wear it is great -- it will probably grow on you. If not, hang on for a few yrs, it will!

--- Laurie

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

Wow I'd love to see the matching stone in person. No way I'd let it go if the color in the picture is accurate. :lickout:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh Colorluvr, I KNEW IT! I knew from your title and the first few lines of your post that it had to be THAT RING!! I LOVE that ring and have been coveting it ever since I first set eyes on it. It is PERFECT!

I think Distracts is onto something; that you are waiting for the perfect occasion to wear the perfect ring. I would feel the same way, and all I can say is that YOU MUST wear it. I don't know about the pendant and would probably hold off on that. But the ring deserves you and you deserve the ring. I love your idea of going out to dinner with DH so that you can wear it. Do you ever go out to dinner with friends? Sometimes that feels more like an occasion than just eating out with one's spouse. Or, what about getting some friends to go to a local theatrical or musical event and combining it with dinner? I think if you feel like its bigger than you're normally comfortable with, you just need a little push to wear it and then you'll get more and more comfortable every time you wear it. Oh, PLEASE go out and wear it!

Ever since I saw it, I've been hoping you would sell it so I could buy it. That's how much I love it. But the funny thing is, its SO perfect looking that I'm not sure I would ever wear it... :o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results