shape
carat
color
clarity

Some inherited pieces

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sadly, my dear father passed away in July. I think (know) he is the one who spurred my love of jewelry. He bought my mother a lot of lovely pieces over the years (they would have celebrated their 61st anniversary shortly after his death). Mom decided to share some of her jewelry with me and my daughters now, and here are the colored stone pieces that have come to live with me.

Dad bought the loose aquamarines -- pendant and ring -- on a trip to Brazil when I was 5. The multi-colored brooch also came from that trip. The bracelet is alternating diamonds and peridot (Mom's birthstone). Never one to miss an occasion, Dad gave Mom the ruby/sapphire/diamond spray ring for the Bicentennial! (He also gave her a beautiful red, white and blue band -- ruby and sapphire baguettes with round diamonds between -- that she is still wearing.) The peach sapphire ring was his gift to her on their 25th anniversary.

And ahhh...the little birdies... While sorting and cleaning things with Mom, I found the letter Dad wrote to her when I was born (more precious than any jewelry could be!). In it, he referenced his gift, saying that the count was not quite right, but if they included their cat (;-)), it was a representation of their new family of 5, and that he couldn't resist it. He also apologized for not having time to have an engraved plate placed on the back. Sadly, Mom didn't remember what the gift was, and I had no idea...until I was examining these pieces from Mom, and turned the bird pin over and found the tiny plate engraved with my name and birthdate :kiss2: I already loved it, and the history of it makes it just perfect to me.

I think I will have the birds and the multi-colored brooch converted to pendants, because I would wear them much more that way. I am contemplating exchanging the peridots in the bracelet for diamonds. I really love the bracelet for its looks and the ease/safety of wear, and it's a great tennis bracelet alternative. My girls are both August babies and I could use the peridots in bands for them.

Thanks for reading and looking! I will do a few more individual photos below.

IMG_9980.JPG

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@distracts, Yes! Finding the note was amazing, and then making the connection to the pin means so much.

@Mrsz1ppy , Thank you! I think he did, too. And I will definitely update when I do those conversions.

@Autumn in New England and @ItsMainelyYou , Thanks so much! I have learned that every kind word makes a difference, and I truly appreciate it. It's really special to be able to come to this community and share.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ally66, I'm so sorry for your loss, your father sounds like he was a sweet and thoughtful man. Your story is very touching. They are all such beautiful pieces!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s so nice that your father shared a love of jewelry with you, and you have his personal note to go with the bird brooch. All of the pieces are very pretty, but that bird brooch is super special. If you decide to convert it should make for a very charming necklace.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fantastic collection! Wonderful pieces to remember your father by, and the bird pin is just outstanding along with the letter.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love these threads the best

but im sorry you recently lost your dad

how lovelly your mum has gifted these to you and you found that letter
i love all your pieces

i love that one of those birds was the family cat ;)2

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What lovely remembrances of your dear father, and such special pieces to treasure forever.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @Austina! It really does mean so much to be able to share with everyone here and know they understand.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @Daisys and Diamonds , and yes -- it was a sweet glimpse into their life at that time, to see that Dad included the kitty (who was, of course, their first baby).

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry to hear about your dad.

Thank you for sharing these lovely family heirlooms with us.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results