shape
carat
color
clarity

some help please in picking a center stone

solitairemission

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone.

I have been lurking on PriceScope, reading, and learning a lot from all the threads.

It's time for me to get an engagement ring. Despite my resistance and insistence, my partner doesn't want to be involved in the process is leaving it up to me to decide what to get her. Yikes! :errrr:

I did get out of her that she would like a solitaire and we both agree that a round cut diamond is the way to go. How could I screw that up, she said! :twirl:

Since it's important to her that I do the work, I want to buy the diamond and setting separately - educating myself and putting my thought into each step -- instead of buying something completed and sold out of a counter. Right now, I'm just looking for the diamond. I don't think the eventual setting will have diamonds in the shank. It will not be yellow gold.

I have up to 14K to spend on the diamond. The whole thing costing about 15 or 16K. I know to look for AGS or GIA. I know that I want it to be AGS0 or GIA excellent for cut. I read about HCA. I want symmetry to be ideal/excellent too and polish to be ideal/excellent or very good. I don't think she'd care if it were H&A or not. She wears a size 7 ring.

Based on all of this, I am thinking at least a G color diamond, VS2 or better. Based on my searches, I am thinking I can get something around 1.25 carat and up. I'm willing to buy online.

Am I on the right track? Thanks so much for your help.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
that sounds great! do you want us to search for some options? or if you want to search on your own you can post them here if you want us to review.

solitairemission

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much. There are so many diamonds out there and the search tool on this site is very helpful. I've been looking them up already -- once I narrow it down, my cold feet will need hand holding through the interpretation of specs.

Based on what I read, I'm going to restrict searches to 60-62% depth and 57-59% tables. None or faint flouresence. I wish I could search on girdle thickness too!

I'll stay tuned!

solitairemission

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick search and results!

So many choices!

solitairemission

Rough_Rock
slg47|1317007019|3025599 said:
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8672/
this one is a great size, not H&A

Wow, that is pretty big. A quick question - what do I make out of "indented natural" on the AGS report? I assume at VS2 that I won't see any of the inclusions with the naked eye.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results