shape
carat
color
clarity

Some Help Needed and Gratitude Given

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mistervoo

Rough_Rock
Hello All,
I''ve been reading this forum for quite a while now and I must thank all of you knowledgable people because I have learned quite a bit. This is my first posting and I had some questions. If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate.

How long did it take you to find your diamond from start to finish?

Are there any places in the nyc area that is reputable and specializes with the asscher cut?(not the real asscher, square emerald is fine too)

With about 7k to spend what can I honestly get? I''m willing to buy online or in a B&M.

Just wanted to thank everyone on the forum for your postings and knowledge. Can''t wait to hear from you all. Thanks!!

reena

Ideal_Rock
hi, lots of the pricescope vendors are in the NYC area and can get asschers (or any other kind of stone) for you. two that come to mind are good old gold on long island and engagementringsdirect, which is located in an office building in the diamond district. oh and i think superbcert does asschers, as well. i''m sure there are more . . . but the only other one i can think of specializes in round stones, i believe. you should definitely check those out to start!
36.gif

mistervoo

Rough_Rock
Thanks Reen, I''ll be sure to check those places out, I''m sort of afraid of the diamond district. Seems like alot of sleeze there, but I''m going to be spending the next couple of days there after work.

I''m looking for color between D and F, anything vvs2 and up. For an asscher cut do you think I should go with a larger carat size or a better quality diamond. I was looking a few asschers. and they just seem to look better larger (haha don''t they all). But especially this cut. If anyone has any experience with the asscher cut I would appreciate it. Thanks all!

reena

Ideal_Rock
i totally understand your fear of the DD but it can be a great place to browse and get ideas.

if you were talking about engagementringsdirect, though, there''s nothing to fear--even though it is located in the DD it is not one of those scary storefronts and i can assure you it''s not sleazy--i bought my stone there, as did MMM, alexah (i think she bought 2), and lots of other pricescopers. mark is a great guy. run a search and you can read about others'' experiences with him.

i am not an asscher expert (or any other kind of expert), but people generally say that you can see color and inclusions in step cut stones so that''s something to consider. (i think you should be just fine in the color/clarity combo you described.) i saw that your budget is about $7k--what size stone were you hoping for?

mistervoo

Rough_Rock
I''m looking along the lines of this diamond here.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/asscher_1_00ct_e_vvs2.htm

about 1 carat is what i''m looking into. I''m looking to make a purchase in dec. and propose shortly afterwards. Does anyone know a good range the numbers should be in, for a sarin report on an asscher? It''s all so much easier if I got a round because there is alot of info on that. But as I quickly learn, it''s not about me at all. This is what she wants, thus my research continues. Thanks Reen for your help.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hi there. The stone you''re looking at is at a store in Long Island. It may be a bit of a trip, but it would be well worth it for you to go see what they have. You''ll not only be able to see a number of stones in person, but they''re good about helping consumers educate themselves on what to look for.

We have some general asscher specs here: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/royal-asscher-t21408.html, though, as with all fancy shapes, the numbers should be taken only in tandem with what your eye sees.

Here''s the generic asscher stone my sister just bought, though not from Good Old Gold.

87_sm.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A trip out to good old gold would be well worth your time in my opinion.
He has a bunch of nice asschers available and is very trustworthy.

mistervoo

Rough_Rock
My goodness Hest! What are the specs on that rock? It looks freakin awesome.

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
I too got my Asscher from GOG and couldn''t be happier with it. Hest, I''ve said it before but I have to comment again- your sister''s stone is lovely. Great octagonal shape! Much more like an antique asscher than a lot of the square emeralds out there.

With respect to color and clarity, color is very important to me so I have an E. For clarity, I wanted it to be absolutely eyeclean (of course
1.gif
) and was advised not to go lower than VS2. My stone is VS1 and even though the inclusion is smack in the middle of the table it is absolutely impossible to see without magnification.

My stone is a great light performer, but I don''t think that can be predicted just from numbers. Regardless, here they are:

1.23/E/VS1
6.05mm x 6.06mm
polish- excellent
symmetry- excellent
medium blue fluorescence
table 56.4% (3.42 mm)
pavilion depth 48.8% (2.96 mm)
crown height 13.7% (.83 mm)
total depth 65.3% (3.96 mm)

BrillianceScope: white light very high, colored light off the chart, scintillation high/ very high

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results