shape
carat
color
clarity

solitare settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mancuso

Rough_Rock
Can someone tell me if there is any difference as to what height a 2 carat pear shaped stone should be set in a plain tiffany, 6 pronged setting? Is the stone more vunerable to damage if it sits up high? Any suggestions as to what looks nice? Stone is E colored, SI2.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say... high setting tend to snag more and are less confortable, but with so many sold and bought out there, it does seem that most do get used to them after all.

I am biased here: I could never get used to high rings and prefer cabs and bezels - conservative enough.

mancuso

Rough_Rock
Thank you Valeria.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
----------------

Any suggestions as to what looks nice? Stone is E colored, SI2.----------------

I think this solitare setting by MM looks very nice...

MM setting

Good luck!

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
That MM setting is very pretty!

I think with pears it might be better to have them in a lower setting do to the fact that they are pointed - high settings can snag easily enough without having a pointed diamond on top of it. Plus, a pear might be more prone to chipping on a higher setting than a round would be. Please anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
1.gif

As far as what looks nice, pears are very delicate and beautiful looking, and I think any setting that is sleek and flowing would be very complimentary to the stone.

Hope this helps.
1.gif

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
http://www.mwmjewelry.com/Fitzgerald-comp-1s-b.jpg

I also thought this was an interesting setting for a pear. I like the pave around the prongs, adds a unique touch.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Wow ClownFish,

That is very pretty and looks like it protects the pear very nicely! Hope the post comes through!
21.gif

Fitzgerald-comp-1s-b.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Both settings are nice...I like the MM one best...very classic and elegant

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Even though I love lower set stones, be aware that this creates an issue when choosing a wedding band. If you are going to wear it solo, fine. Otherwise, you either end up with a fairly large gap between your ering and wedding ring, or end up getting a custom wedding band made, which is pricier. Also, if going the custom route, inevitably, people will get the two soldered together, cause they just never sit perfectly balanced on the finger. Just a few things to think about.
10.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the looks of them set low and point forward.

They to my eyes look kind of dorky if they sit too high or point back up the arm.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Both are MM designs. I really like the one ClownFish found as it is very different and unlike any pear setting I have seen. But that is me.

Will this be worn alone? Or will there be a band? As Caratgirl pointed out, that may mean a custom band!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 3/15/2004 3:45:57 PM mancuso wrote:

Can someone tell me if there is any difference as to what height a 2 carat pear shaped stone should be set in a plain tiffany, 6 pronged setting? Is the stone more vunerable to damage if it sits up high? Any suggestions as to what looks nice? Stone is E colored, SI2.----------------

Hi Mancuso,

I just realized that your question was really about the height of a plain Tiffany. Sorry!

As far as the pear sitting up high, you stated that you have an SI2. Yes, when a diamond sits up high it is at a bit higher risk and I would be concerned about the type of inclusions your SI2 has. I know that inclusions that break the surface (like feathers) particularly near the girdle, are a bit of an added risk. Also, what does the cert say about the girdle? If there is an 'extremely thin' or 'very thin' portion to the girdle there may be added risk again. Is the person that will wear this stone hard on jewelry? That is another risk for setting a diamond high in a setting.

These are just concerns that I can think of. Your jeweler should be able to help you find the perfect height to set the stone based on the concerns.

Please be sure to post pics, it sounds like a substantial sized stone!!

Hope this helps.
21.gif

mancuso

Rough_Rock
This setting is so gorgeous. Please let me know if there's a web site.

mancuso

Rough_Rock
You've set my mind a t ease. Thanks so much!

mancuso

Rough_Rock
Opps. Sorry about that. I found it. www.mwmjewelry

mancuso

Rough_Rock
This will be worn alone. Just want the optimum sparkle.

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Which one did you like? The solitaire or the antique styled? Just curious..maybe we can help you find more like it.
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Mancuso,

I have a 2 ct pear in a thin, plain gold cathedral setting. I measured from the shank where it rests on my finger to the table of the stone. It measures 8 mm high. For me it's a good height -- not too high and not too low. It's high enough that it clears a wedding band so it sits flush with my e-ring. I don't have a problem with it catching on things, but I generally don't wear my e-ring when I'm doing anything physical like cleaning house or working out. Hope this helps.

DiamondLil

mancuso

Rough_Rock
Yes, thanks!

mancuso

Rough_Rock
I love the solitare. The basket setting is nice and offers extra support. Thanks to everyone that responded, I've decided to go to the jewler who sold me the stone to discuss inclusions, girdle width in relation to height of setting. I really don't want to schmaltz up the setting because the gorgeous stone should speak for itself.

tongue.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Well, please return and post pictures for us when you're ring is done. We don't see that many pear pictures around here.

Good luck!
wavey.gif

DaimondLil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results