shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitare Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

morganmack

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a 1.72 carat ring that will be set in a platinum solitare for my "future fiancee" (I love the sound of that)anyways . . . I have concerns because I prefer the look of a four prong solitare, but know that there are security questions when using four prongs instead of six. Do I have good cause for concern about a diamond this size in a four prong setting, or am I simply being over-cautious about my "investment". Please advise.

Morgan

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
You'll find several threads here that debate the 6 vs 4 issue over and over
9.gif
. I think bottom line is 6 is safer, but that doesn't mean 4 is unsafe, and everything else is personal preference. Somebody who knows more than I do should really answer the safety question tho. Do a search and you'll probably find lots of input, although I don't remember if anyone ever really declared 4 prongs safe or unsafe. (There are millions of 4 prong rings out there sporting nice diamonds
11.gif
.) Maybe someone will now.

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
I actually revived an older thread on this matter this weekend. See: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/six-prongs-too-much.4880/
I've been wondering the same thing myself.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have my orginal e-ring in a four prong setting - 20+ years old - no problems.

My family ring is in a 4 prong basket setting - 70? years old - no problems.

My anniversary ring is 4 prongs - 1 year old - no problems.

Just my experience from someone who definitely prefers 4 prongs. As I have said before, why have all that metal surrounding something that stands so beautiful on it's own merit.

Good luck.

XvOrlyBearvX

Rough_Rock
Yes, I feel they are same in my family as well we have two hand down for 50 years diamond rings with 4 prongs and they haven't been and Aren't loose. But it really depends on your jeweler. I would check out if you haven't already different people who have bought rings from the place you are about to and see if their 4 prong settings were or are loose.

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
From what I've seen on this forum, a 4 prong in platinum is a fairly safe way to go. My mother lost (temporarily--thankfully)the stone from her engagement ring. I'm almost 100% sure that the setting and likely the prongs were in white gold.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the 6 prong design since I don't think it makes brilliant rounds as square as the 4 prong designs, though there's plenty of others on this forum who think otherwise...
2.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I think it's more a matter of taste than safety. Do you want to see more stone or more prong? My jeweler wears a 4.18 ct diamond with 4 prongs. She doesn't seem concerned.

DoctorZ

Rough_Rock
If the diamond is nice: I'd like to see more diamond.
If the diamond is not so nice, I'd like to see more prong.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results