shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire sitting too low? No wedding bands sit flush?? Wedding band and resetting help!!

Cmm123

Rough_Rock
Hi! Long time follower, first time poster. I have a 2ct 6 prong solitaire that I thought was perfect until I went to go try on wedding bands! The head sits too low and there are no wedding bands that could possible sit flush.

I definitely don’t want a spacer or space between my band and my ering - both looks just aren’t for me

Do you think it would be cheaper to get a new setting or to get a custom wedding band to somehow sit flush? I assumed resetting would be cheaper, but let me know if you’ve have any insight!

I have been looking at LaurenB for a resetting but it looks like it will be about 2k to reset in their 6 prong solitaire setting which seems a bit high to me but I just love their designs and how thin and sleek the prongs are and it is one of the only designs I found that will allow a band to sit perfectly flush.. see picture below - would be similar without the pave. (hate too much metal around my stone... I know it makes it more secure but prefer minimal metal)

I am also trying to find something similar to the Tiffany embrace wedding band but without the hefty price tag - have you found any alternatives? I’ve seen a few from IDJ but after looking online I think I am after more of a pinched prong look - I like when you can see the roundness of each individual stone with the least amount of metal possible - hate when it looks chunky with metal and that’s all thI’ve tried on so far :( (not sure if 2.2mm or 3mm would look best with a 2ct stone, thoughts??)
2476D7D6-1250-4E72-AA4F-720F4C4EA47C.jpeg 30A1CB7B-1D35-4BE2-93CA-BB776CB4F590.jpeg FEF5EBBF-3B44-46D9-80DD-EB4115F5856E.png

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
What about a curved band to sit flush against your ring? It won’t look amazing alone— but you wouldn’t be able to see it curved once up against your ring. I personally love a little space between the ER and band but if you don’t, you don’t!

Cmm123

Rough_Rock
What about a curved band to sit flush against your ring? It won’t look amazing alone— but you wouldn’t be able to see it curved once up against your ring. I personally love a little space between the ER and band but if you don’t, you don’t!

Tried a bunch of curved bands - still didn’t feel 100% about it :(

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Maybe post some pictures of what you like.
Both ER and band together. The people here are amazing at coming up with ideas.

Jennyfromtherock

Rough_Rock
I have a setting that won’t allow for a flush fit either and I wear it with the 3mm embrace. I’ve learned to embrace the gap but it’s a personal thing.

Attachments

• 79EBA8C8-65B3-4CA7-BE5C-EB6340429438.jpeg
    79EBA8C8-65B3-4CA7-BE5C-EB6340429438.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 95

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Your solitaire setting is beautiful but unfortunately nothing will sit flush against it unless it has a curve in it.

You also need to remember that if you are putting a wedding band against it that has diamonds in it, the diamonds will eat the prongs at the point of contact - the South prong, as it were - unless the diamonds are bezelled or channel set.

The LaurenB setting is also, in my opinion, a disaster waiting to happen. The biggest issue is the peg head, one solid accidental whack and it's ruined. Or worse, it detaches completely and you lose the diamond. I fully understand the desire to have a minimal metal look but it must not come at the risk of structural issues.

Have you thought about knife edge settings? The optical illusion on those is amazing and they look much slimmer than they really are.

Where have you been looking? When I was hunting, I looked through tonnes of threads on Pricescope, but I also scrolled through some of the main vendors websites to look at all their settings - so Whiteflash, HPD, Victor Canera, Brian Gavin Diamonds, etc. It helped. The other thing (difficult during COVID-19) would be to go and try on multiple ring sets in a shop where you can see the styles that sit flush and also therefore the things that work for you. If you then can't find a setting that you like, you can figure out everything you do like and then ask someone like David Klass to custom make it - if your budget was up to 2k for the solitaire that may well be very doable (I don't really know his prices but he's always been said to be very reasonable).

I have a similar type of setting so I feel your pain. I'm currently using a spacer and I'm not a fan of having to, really.

Hope that helps!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK is definitely doable. His solitaire prices are usually in the $1k range (give or take) from what I've seen.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking DK as well, to custom make an affordable six prong that will be beautiful as well as durable.

The Lauren B design of the ring you like concerns me. My mother lost the head of her ring, diamond and all, when it detached from the shank without any memorable event of force. She had a basket setting that had four points of contact with the shank. The head of the Lauren B is attached by only one tiny point of contact, and it stands up tall, two things that to my mind make it incredibly vulnerable to any slight whack or bump. Also, bear in mind that having pave on the stems of the head weakens them.

I had a Memoire diamond band very similar in make to the Tiffany embrace. Within weeks it was eating away at my ering setting, so I would also caution you about wearing that style of band without a spacer or very durable basket/shank on the ering that can hold up better to the damage. You could solder the two rings together to eliminate the back-and-forth sawing action of the diamonds... since you don't like a spacer (neither do I), maybe this is a viable option for you?

If you plan to wear your rings minimally, i.e. only when you go out on the town, then these things would be less of a concern. If you plan to wear them most of the time (it is recommended to take them off when you sleep, clean, work out, shower, garden, etc.) then I would highly recommend you take that into consideration when choosing your designs.

All that said, I think it would be less expense in the long run to work out your ering setting than to have a custom wedded made for the setting you already have. I'm not sure that can even be done. You could spend the money attempting a custom band to sit flush, only to find that it doesn't satisfy. That lands you back at a new ering setting. A new ering setting may not work with the custom band, so now you must spend for a new setting and a new band.

A six prong solitaire setting is done often. There are plenty of jewelers who design them to sit flush with bands, and who can offer refined prongs. (DK being one such jeweler. Going with him for both the setting and your band would also allow you to work out how to have the look you're after while minimizing the damage from the band.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results