shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire setting question -- Is it strong enough?

SapphireBlue

Rough_Rock
Hello, all! I just joined the forum but have lurked here for more than a year. Thank you all for the wisdom you all share here!

I just ordered a 1.32-carat oval solitaire in this setting, in platinum, from James Allen (the band is 2 mm). I am so excited because my original ring is a sapphire, which is beautiful but just sort of ended up as my engagement ring (long story). Eight years later, DH encouraged me to pick out a diamond ring, and here I am.

Question: Do you think this setting is strong enough for the long haul? I am not particularly hard on my jewelry (and I take my e ring off as soon as I am home from work/shopping/whatever). Still, though. Is this setting too "delicate," even with six prongs?

Looking forward to your insight!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230926_091200_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230926_091200_Chrome.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 49

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on the new purchase of your oval! YES, platinum will hold up - for centuries! It will not tarnish and will keep your diamond secure in 6-prongs. I wear my platinum set ering everywhere, always... no worries. Enjoy!

SapphireBlue

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Leigh10! I started doubting my choice (which is unpleasant after so many months of browsing and deciding).

Glad you are enjoying your ring and that you are able to wear it as you please.

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
My ering and wedding band are featured in my avatar (for your review =)2)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you provide the link to the oval you bought? Ovals are hard to buy so just wondering what you got.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's fine!
Just a word of caution though; be aware about knocking the basket too much, it is peg set into the band (so it isn't floating or anything) but doesn't have the extra support shoulders or an inset head would provide. This does just slightly increase the chance of the basket just shearing off at the base if you hit it just right or too hard.

I only say this as I'm a bit rough on my rings and would manage to do it somehow, because, me:lol:

Will that happen? Not likely.
We'd love to see some hand shots of your beautiful new ring.
Love to see that sapphire as well(I'm a CS lover at heart!)

SapphireBlue

Rough_Rock
Can you provide the link to the oval you bought? Ovals are hard to buy so just wondering what you got.

I don't know how to share a link since I already purchased it, but here is a photo along with the IGI report (it's a lab-created diamond, obviously).

I selected it based on what I learned here and elsewhere (mostly here!) about selecting oval diamonds. Any insights you can share would be greatly appreciated!

B50865B6-8D10-4F9E-82AD-0F04518A0A2D (1).jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230926_140917_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230926_140917_Chrome.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 13

SapphireBlue

Rough_Rock
It's fine!
Just a word of caution though; be aware about knocking the basket too much, it is peg set into the band (so it isn't floating or anything) but doesn't have the extra support shoulders or an inset head would provide. This does just slightly increase the chance of the basket just shearing off at the base if you hit it just right or too hard.

I only say this as I'm a bit rough on my rings and would manage to do it somehow, because, me:lol:

Thank you! That is exactly what I started to worry about happening. Hopefully, it never will . . . and maybe I will look into insurance.

I will absolutely (and joyfully!) share photos once I have it. I'll share photos of the sapphire ring as well and will be sure to re-reply to this comment so you will see it.

SapphireBlue

Rough_Rock
It's fine!

Good morning! I posted pics of my sapphire ring here, and I am replying here as promised, in case you want to see: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oval-sapphire-and-diamond-engagement-ring.280229/

Have a great day! And enjoy your gorgeous jewelry. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results