shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire setting frustrations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am new here; this is my 2nd thread! My boyfriend and I were engaged a couple of nights ago, and have decided on a cushion solitaire for the ring. We are working on finding the stone, but my major frustration has been finding a setting that I am into!

I am hoping that one of you may have seen something along these lines, so I''ll get started...! Be warned, I am a picky girl!!

Here is what I envision the ring looking like from the front, a very simple platinum setting with a thin (2-2.5mm) band.

plaincushiontq7.jpg

Here is the tricky part: I want to have a basket setting, but not the cathedral look. I want the basket to come straight off of the band, like this:
yurman017znrw2.jpg

or this (not this look, but the way it is set on the band):
lockessolitairephotogd7.jpg

or this (but w/out the cathedral):
vatche1jn6.jpg

The basket on the 2nd image from the top (with the rope crossover look) is a perfect example of what I would like. In fact, if we have to go custom, I am thinking of doing a delicate single rope band. But I would much rather just find something than have something made.

Has anyone seen anything? Help!!!

Thanks,
B.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I like this one. If you click on the enlarged view, it has a rather unique profile similar to what you said. I don't know if the band is too thick, but it does say to hold the diamond cut of your choice, so I assume a cushion qualifies. link

I see that the band is 3.5 mm. hmm maybe have them shave it down?

shay

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Why not just get Leon Mege to make you the solitaire in the picture without the cathedral? How do you know the setting has a cathedral?

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Shay,

I have seen that setting; I love it, but it is not for me. The sides come up slightly (almost into a cathedral), and I would really like a simple basket, without any extra metal (like the last image, but without the cathedral).

But that is on the right track... I feel bad, like I said... I am so picky!! It is making things really difficult.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 7:54:23 PM
Author: boston_jeff
Hi! Why not just get Leon Mege to make you the solitaire in the picture without the cathedral? How do you know the setting has a cathedral?

Ahhh... I had just assumed that the setting did not have a basket on that one, because of everything else I have looked at. Good idea. I will shoot him an email and see what I can find out.

Thanks!
26.gif

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Does everyone go through this much when picking out a setting!?! There are plenty of settings that I love, but I''m just not in love with any of them.

Will it cost an arm & leg to have one custom made? Aarrrrg!

jxl

Rough_Rock
I like the second one you post.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 8:14:59 PM
Author: jxl
I like the second one you post.

Isn''t that beautiful? If I had the $$, I would get it. It is a David Yurman setting, and they have a single rope band solitaire setting as well. It is the only setting that I have been 100% in love with, but you have to buy the diamond from them and we just don''t have the $$ to do that.

jxl

Rough_Rock
When I upgraded my ring, I did a little bit check on the setting. I did not find what I like. WF has one very similar to mine. But I didn''t like the thick prong/band. They did mention they could make it shave it down. But I decided to keep my original setting which I like a lot and was custom made 8 years ago.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
I''m not the setting expert, but maybe if you called whiteflash and checked if they could make lynnb''s setting minus the pave? I think it would be close to what you are looking for!

Good luck!

P.S. If I knew how to link to her setting I would!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto, and leon can make your basket *any* way that you would like. His designs are cutom made.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 10:23:17 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Ditto, and leon can make your basket *any* way that you would like. His designs are cutom made.
Exactly, Leon can do whatever you want, including altering a design he already made for a previous ring if a design inspires you but you'd like some changes. BTW I saw many designs from him with beautiful baskets but without cathedral shanks so I am sure you'll find something that suits you.

I am almost sure that the setting from him you posted first (which I love
30.gif
) doesn't have a cathedral.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From other threads the LM settings are about 3,000 but call and check it out. It may be worth it to get what you want. Do you ever plan on changing or upgrading your ring? If I had a custom setting I wouldn''t want to. Or I''d do what jxl did and reuse the setting.

Another thing to think about is that your life will be simplier if you get the stone and the setting from the same vendor. But many people here have worked very happily with 2 or more vendors, just requires more coordination.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
If Leon Mege is out of your price range, don''t be afaid to shop your design ideas around to local artisans too. Since you''re looking for something rather simple (basket setting, no pave, etc) I wouldn''t think it would be too hard for any experienced ring-maker to do. Just be sure to be detailed when telling them what you want.

Good luck with it!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 2:42:45 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
From other threads the LM settings are about 3,000 but call and check it out.

Leon quoted me $1700 for a solitaire I inquired about not too long ago. he's more reasonable than most people think. the more complicated the design the more expensive the price but for this ring I think he'd be competitive and it'd be worth it to me to just have Leon make it.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all of your comments! I think we are finally on our way with this ring.

I have decided to go with this stone from Engagement Rings Direct:
1.13 Cushion Cut
Color: G
Clar: VS2
Measurements: 6.78 x 5.79 x 3.8
Depth: 65.6%
Table: 54%
Girdle: Med to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: Slightly Large
Finish
Polish: EX
Symmetry: EX
Flourescence: None

bethany001gl2.jpg

The only think that I am anxious about is the culet. I will be getting the stone on Tues, then I can relax!

I have decided to go with Quest for the setting. They are creating a 2.5mm rope band, with the basket head that I described above. They did lovelylulu's rope style wedding band, and that turned out to be beautiful.

Will post pictures when the ring is done!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that''s a beautiful, firey diamond! Yummmm! I actually like a culet on a rectangular cushion. It just adds character, to me, and the one on yours doesn''t seem to detract from the brilliance at all.

Have you decided on a setting or are you waiting to see the diamond in person?

pinkie621

Rough_Rock
Wow, I love your taste, I have the exact same requirements as you. I can''t stand cathedral, I want a thin band and for the basket to come right off the ring. I thought I was the only one, keep us updated!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 11:32:26 AM
Author: BDJ
Thanks so much for all of your comments! I think we are finally on our way with this ring.

I have decided to go with this stone from Engagement Rings Direct:
1.13 Cushion Cut
Color: G
Clar: VS2
Measurements: 6.78 x 5.79 x 3.8
Depth: 65.6%
Table: 54%
Girdle: Med to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: Slightly Large
Finish
Polish: EX
Symmetry: EX
Flourescence: None

bethany001gl2.jpg

The only think that I am anxious about is the culet. I will be getting the stone on Tues, then I can relax!

I have decided to go with Quest for the setting. They are creating a 2.5mm rope band, with the basket head that I described above. They did lovelylulu''s rope style wedding band, and that turned out to be beautiful.

Will post pictures when the ring is done!
My cushion has a slightly large culet and I was disappointed that it is so small. Most of the time I cannot see it at all and even if I put a red fingernail under it, it is sooo tiny in real life.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a lovely cushion. PLEASE post your own photos of it when you get it.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 12:04:14 PM
Author: lumpkin
Oh, that''s a beautiful, firey diamond! Yummmm! I actually like a culet on a rectangular cushion. It just adds character, to me, and the one on yours doesn''t seem to detract from the brilliance at all.

Have you decided on a setting or are you waiting to see the diamond in person?

Quest is making my solitaire setting - it is a 2.5mm rope (or cable) band, with a basket setting. I am so excited!

I just received the diamond, and it is beautiful. I am shipping it off to be appraised by Fuller & Associates, then it will make its way over to Quest for the setting!

I should have the completed ring in about 2 weeks (they have already started twisting the platinum for the band)!

I will post pictures when I get the completed ring back; I can''t seem to get a good shot of the loose stone.

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

BDJ

Rough_Rock
My ring is complete!

glamourwebzb1.jpg

I have more pics posted here!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-cushion-solitaire-from-quest-engagement-rings-direct.58805/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results