shape
carat
color
clarity

solitaire or sidestone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
I've been reading this forum and getting better educated for some time now--thanks everyone. I have a very subjective question and was wondering what people thought was better for an e-ring, a 2-2.3 carat solitaire or a 1.6-1.8 with nice size sidestones for a budget around 25k. Opinions please. I've noticed that when comparing apples to apples there is a huge jump in price from 1.6 up to 2.0--almost double. What's more impressive?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
It''s a personal preference. Assuming that you are talking all ideal stones, personally, I would want the larger center stone and would probably just add sidestones later when I had the money.
1.gif

ilikeshinythings

Rough_Rock
It really is completely subjective but since you''re asking for general opinions...
3.gif

I have always been a fan of the classic solitaire. whether it be set in one of those beautiful pave halo settings (which I suppose isn''t really a solitaire anymore) or just a classic single stone prong type setting, it really calls attention to the beauty of the stone you chose.

3 stone rings can also be quite beautiful but to me, the side stones to distract from the overall impact of the center stone. I think 3 stones are better suited for anniversary occasions or something further down the road than an e-ring. but that''s just one guys opinion and I''m FAAAAR from an expert.
1.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Ooohh, hmmm, either way, that''s a nice size center! The custom rings I''ve seen here with side stones are very beautiful. A solitaire is traditional and would probably pop more. Do you know what she would like? Has she been oogling over a sister''s 3 stone or something? Also, what shape are we talking about?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the solitaire and you can always add side stones for a big anniversary like 5, 10, 20 or whenever.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''ll go against the grain here......I''d do a 3-stone.

I just don''t think it''s worth the jump in price (personal opinion).

I''d go toward the 1.8 end and keep the sidestones relatively small (.30s or so). You''ll still command attention on the center stone in this way, but you''ll get MUCH MORE bling factor. 3 times as many facets to reflect and pop!

My 1.25 was a solitaire first, and it was lovely, but it didn''t have the WOW factor that it does since I added sidestones.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
I always like the beauty of a single solitaire. Gives a simplicity of elgance and class i think. If i would go with sidestones i''d take baguettes as they are i think the best choice for accentuating the center without "stealing the show"

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I am not a fan of three stone rings, but I love rings that have a small channel set melee of stones on the sides of the ring. It probably would only cost a few hundred extra to add few 2-4 pointers on the sides of the ring and it really adds to the sparkle! That would be much more noticable then adding a few hundreths of a carat to your center stone size. Also, I think small sidestones accent the center stone rather than taking attention away from it.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Put the budget on one gorgeous centre stone!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/22/2006 10:27:50 AM
Author:ceylonfan
I''ve been reading this forum and getting better educated for some time now--thanks everyone. I have a very subjective question and was wondering what people thought was better for an e-ring, a 2-2.3 carat solitaire or a 1.6-1.8 with nice size sidestones for a budget around 25k. Opinions please. I''ve noticed that when comparing apples to apples there is a huge jump in price from 1.6 up to 2.0--almost double. What''s more impressive?
What a great budget! I am a sucker for solitaires, but have seen beautiful 3 stones (and more!) on PS. You are right, there is a jump at the 2 carat mark. You could consider trying to ''buy shy'' of 2 carats to save the price break, but it may take many months to find a well cut stone in that size, as others try to purchase that way too. Often actually buying a well cut stone ''shy'' will be as large as a lot of poorer cut stones at the 2 carat mark (because of cutters cutting deep for carat weight and losing the diameter that you would have gotten if it had been cut properly) If you are asking what is more impressive, I would say hands down a single larger stone. Not only because of size (and you obviously will be able to get great quality with that budget), but because people who are familiar with diamonds know it is cheaper to get 3 smaller stones than one larger one. So it would be ''impressive'' per se if you wanted to impress her friends, etc.
2.gif

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto what simplysplendid said!!!

rockbie

Rough_Rock
I would put the budget on nice big stone and just tiny channel setting sidestones to enhance the center stone.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2006 2:00:13 PM
Author: simplysplendid
Put the budget on one gorgeous centre stone!

I agree with simplysplendid! If you're worried about the price jump, hunt around for just under 2cts (1.95 or so). It is my understanding that the biggest jump in price occurs once it crosses the 2.0 mark (like ":)" was saying).

HOWEVER, I am biased, because I wouldn't choose a 3-stone look for myself. I do think that a solitaire with much smaller accent sides, like Jake suggested, is the best of both worlds (added bling but the center still steals the show)!

ETA: You didn't mention what shape of stone. If you're going RB, size difference between 1.6-2 isn't too big of a concern (IMO)... but if you are going with a cuts that don't "look" as big as RB (radiant, cushion, especially asscher) I would say without a doubt go as big as you can with the center stone to "over"compensate!

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
For me, it depends on the shape of the center stone...I am no big fan of 3 stones rings with 3 RB, so in that case, I would love the biggest RB affordable (1.95-2 ct) with dainty micropavé band (Leon Mege style)...Simple and gorgeous !

However, I LOVE 3 stones rings with Emerald cut stones !
30.gif

I would be enchanted with a EC center stone of 1.98-2.2 carat range with 2 smaller trapezoid or EC...

Of course, a solitaire with a center stone EC of 2 carat+ with a thin platinum band is also wonderful in its simplicity and is a really classy look...
18.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do a solitaire. It is classic and a great first ering. For an anniversary ring I might consider 3 stone. What about the woman? Three stones don''t look as good on my hand as a solitaire does. But if you don''t do a solitaire I think aljdewey''s idea is very good.

Date: 12/22/2006 11:18:45 AM
Author: aljdewey
I''ll go against the grain here......I''d do a 3-stone.

I just don''t think it''s worth the jump in price (personal opinion).

I''d go toward the 1.8 end and keep the sidestones relatively small (.30s or so). You''ll still command attention on the center stone in this way, but you''ll get MUCH MORE bling factor. 3 times as many facets to reflect and pop!

My 1.25 was a solitaire first, and it was lovely, but it didn''t have the WOW factor that it does since I added sidestones.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Two very beautiful - but VERY different looks. I love them both, so I'm no help there!

I would suggest you make a day jewelry-store hopping and try on as many of each style as you can. I'll bet that it won't be long before you will clearly come to see which style you prefer on your hand.

Have fun... and please keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results