shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire or Halo?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
PS: Additional question is posted on the 8th reply in this thread.... Thanks!!!

Hey All,

Please post pics of solitaire diamond ring and/or halo diamond ring, and share your opinions on each style. Which style do you prefer for an engagement ring and why? Also what''s your "ultimate favorite" ring style (regardless of the diamond quality). Thanks!!!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Well, I can''t post pics because I am having some work done to my computer with the pics, but, I now have a 1.2 ct. oval in a halo. While I think it is very pretty, I am tired of looking at it everyday after a year. Mine is set very high so it bumps around a lot. I still love the style, but, I think I''d rather have it as a RHR. My next upgrade will be a 2ish carat oval in a solitaire setting - kind of a cross btw. the Tiffany oval solitaire and the HW oval solitaire. I was engaged with a solitaire and I really miss the simplicity of it. I just love a simple solitaire and an eternity (or wedding) band. I think that when DSS sets in with the upgrade I will have it made into a three stone. And for the current oval, I may set that into a three stone with some pear stones I have, but, that is another thread
31.gif

My "ultimate favorite" is a three stone, hands down. I love almost all shapes and sizes. I know I''m different, but, I prefer three stones with side stones that are 1/2 or more the size of the center. Sooooooo, I guess that makes the long term goal an oval three stone with a 2ish ct. center and 1 ct. sides.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ultimate style is neither a simple solitaire or a halo..it''s a split shank! I love pave and delicate designs. However, I don''t like very simple solitaires or halos because I feel they detract from the center stone (love them for colored stones though!). Split shanks give a little extra without detracting from the center stone as much.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Solitaire all the way! Though I've seen some amazing halos on this board (and considered one for a long time), I decided against one in the end. Like the others who've commented, I personally feel as though a halo takes away from the center stone, and I wanted my center stone to shine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2007 2:19:22 AM
Author: musey
Both are beautiful! It really depends on preference. I personally would go for a solitaire over a halo, I like a center stone to stand alone (for my own ring--but I''ve seen some GORGEOUS halos on here). I do LOVE the pave that normally accompanies a halo, though.

I guess you could call my ring a solitaire, it''s a 1.96ct asscher with four tiny rounds on each side... for our budget, obviously, that was my ultimate favorite ring style. If we''d had a smaller budget, I likely would''ve gone for a solitaire radiant. Bigger budget... I DREAM of a 4ct asscher, but I think I''d put it in the same setting I chose for my under 2
1.gif

My setting:

museysring10.jpg
Musey, I just love your setting and hope to set a colored stone in one someday!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I say solitaire with accents is always nice.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
For over 1ct stone I think solitaire is the way to go for sure (with an elegant mounting of course). But for under 1ct stone I woud think halo gives a bigger and more brilliant look, don''t you think?
Q2: Attached is my own emerald cut 1.14 worn with a family wedding band and my eternity band. I do like this look a lot, can you imagine it reset in a halo and think it more apprpriate as a RHR? How about the way I wear it now? There was one lady at the mall mistaken my bf as my husband because I was wearing it at my right hand at the time!!! What would you do???? THANKS!

DSCN2830.JPG

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
They are both beautiful. However, I''d choose a solitare because I feel it''s more timeless and it''s less maintenance. I feel it fits my personal style better.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
My ultimate ring style changes, but all in all i love sparkly solitares. they are stunning no matter what size. Your eyes are always drawn to the stone.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
First, we should probably define "solitaire". To me, solitaire means no other stones, not even tiny ones (although I've broken this rule myself in a thread I did a while back!). If solitaire means what I just said, one center stone with all metal ring, then although they are certainly so classic, and I can appreciate their beauty etc.., I find that for me they are boring.

"Solitaire" if it means "center stone is prominent but there is some sparkle in the shank" like Ritani Endless love, or eternity ones like Mara's and so many others here, I do like them!

For stones under 1 ct, and especially of certain shapes, I think halos are great. There were at least 2 girls on here within the last few years who changed their solitaire e-rings to halos, and I think it was a huge improvement. I saw their rings in person with the halos, and they were gorgeous. [ after]
I guess I'd say for larger stones, I prefer no halo, but for much under a carat, I like halos.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
halo all the way! I may be a bit partial though! hehe...
28.gif

I love my beautiful halo, it''s my dream ring! And I get so many compliments on my beauty. It''s all a matter of taste, IMO.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
As a halo owner (having reset my ering from a solitaire, then 3 stone setting) a halo really helps "pump up" the wattage on a stone. I was SHOCKED at how small my 1.13 carat princess cut was, and on my size 6 finger, it felt like a wee chip to me. (fat-ish fingers) Of course, DH being the sentimental sweetie he is, would NEVER let me upgrade, so I reset and reset until the ring got ''big" enough to please me.

Now if I had a Round or other shape, I''d probably go solitaire. Although I do love some of the round halo''s I''ve seen on here, (treysar, cutey tt), I think it actually adds to the sparkle factor if you keep the halo small and delicate.

oh and aldejewey''s halo pendant?

droooll.

I love ''em all.

Jeannine

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well.... my opinions are just that but here they are....

.... I didn''t like halos when I got here because I thought they were kinda phony in that they attempted to give an illusion of a size that wasn''t real and I felt like a purist I guess and what the heck is wrong with a small stone - particularly when out in the real world a "small" stone is pretty much the norm.

Then I saw the tacori halo - the super super thin delicate one that was like a crown or just an accent and I thought, yanno, I really like that one!! Then I realized that rings like princess di''s sapphire have halos and so halos are not all just about giving an illusion. And then I started liking more of them as an *adornment* to the stone rather than trying to pull something over on someone... then I realized hey - if I was able to choose between a bathingsuit that held everything in in the right spots vs one that just let it all flop out in horrific glory... which would I choose? So then what''s wrong with giving diamonds the illusion of being bigger? I still think it''s kinda weird when you see 9 wide tabled princess stones in a halo to give the illusion of one big princess.... but yanno, if I''ve learned anything here it is to *embrace* the different styles that I see even if they aren''t something I would choose. I can appreciate many rings here that I might not choose and think they''re great!

So I still think the smaller halos are nicer.... the bigger the stones are in the halo the more you risk looking like a cluster or cocktail ring.... but they can be very lovely. I even think I will do one someday for a pendant.

As for solitiaires - they are classic and simple and nothing much needs to be said about them. They aren''t trendy and it will always be in style.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 2:54:47 PM
Author: zhuzhu
For over 1ct stone I think solitaire is the way to go for sure (with an elegant mounting of course). But for under 1ct stone I woud think halo gives a bigger and more brilliant look, don''t you think?
Q2: Attached is my own emerald cut 1.14 worn with a family wedding band and my eternity band. I do like this look a lot, can you imagine it reset in a halo and think it more apprpriate as a RHR? How about the way I wear it now? There was one lady at the mall mistaken my bf as my husband because I was wearing it at my right hand at the time!!! What would you do???? THANKS!
actually one of my favorite halos of all time is for an emerald cut diamond - but it''s not what we see here on PS... I''ll attach a shot, it''s just so great to me!!

haloedemerald.jpg

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2007 7:48:49 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 2/17/2007 2:54:47 PM

Author: zhuzhu

actually one of my favorite halos of all time is for an emerald cut diamond - but it''s not what we see here on PS... I''ll attach a shot, it''s just so great to me!!

That is stunning..... Where may I find a mounting like that? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results