shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire or Fishtail prong setting question

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all. I love reading this forum and would love some expert advice/help/opinions. I have a six prong solitaire that I am contemplating changing into the four prong fishtail setting. I am a little afraid my wedding band(s) won't sit flush with it and wonder if I should stay with the solitaire which is classic. But the fishtail is classic vintage, right? Any opinions?

_7921.jpg

_7922.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I like fishtail settings myself, but they, like bezels, can pose a problem with some OEC's because they cover a fair amount of girdle so it kind of depends on your OEC. I said in another thread going on about halo's versus bezel's for OEC's that I feel like you have to let the stone dictate the setting and put your own wants aside if you want it to look its best. That's probably the main downside I have with OEC's (and I LOVE OEC's) is that you may WANT a particular setting (fishtails, bezels, YG or RG) and it may or may not work with your stone. And it may not sit flush, as you surmise. I actually ended up liking non flush fit better myself....

I have an OEC that did not look good in a platinum fishtail, and so I found an antique illusion setting that works for it, and still keeps the vintage feel. That was my work around for the stone to keep the fishtail idea going.

If it were me and I were wanting to reset, I'd take the stone out of the mounting and take it to a jewelry store and try out as many empty mounts as possible until something clicks so you have a direction to work towards.

What size is the stone? If a fishtail ends up not working (and if you could look at the stone loose in one first, that's probably what I'd recommend since it's your first choice) then I know the Stuller illusion mount is still available. It keeps a lot of the same idea while solving some of the fishtail's potential problems...

http://www.jansjewells.com/item.php?item_id=2579#.UeGCmbvLh94

You can also get an illusion box head from Stuller and a shank separately and build one (or have your jeweler do it). Need a white gold head and rose gold shank????

http://www.stuller.com/products/172/?groupId=8240

http://www.stuller.com/products/28764/?groupId=116463

http://www.stuller.com/products/sh325/?groupId=116578

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
It's possible to have a fishtail solitaire made that a wedding band will fit flush against. The head will be narrow at the bottom so that it's the same width as the shank at that point, and then it will flare out above the shank to accommodate the stone. I'll try to find a picture of one. If the ring is custom-made or is an old mounting that happens to be made that way, you can get a flush fit. But if the ring is made from stock findings, then probably the band won't sit flush.

eta: Or if the shank is wide in comparison to the diameter of the center diamond. ebay 360695366384 is a pretty good example of that.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your replies. I have been in touch with a jeweler to reset into an all white gold fishtail prong semi mount. I think I would enjoy the vintage look of it with the stone. I also like the lower profile as the solitaire sits rather high and gets in my way.

The stone is a 1.5 ct (approx 7.5 mm). I think I will reset it yet keep the solitaire just in case I ever want to go back. The mistake I made when purchasing the stone is that I did not give enough thought to the setting which I should have. I will post pictures when I decide what to do and when it's done. As I live close to Manhattan, I may take a trip in and look at settings.

As far as sitting flush, I have the tri-color trinity ring I might pair up with it as it sits the lowest of my band rings. Oh the woes of never being completely satisfied. Why is that? Lol :lol:

Thanks again my friends on PS.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bastecat,
Thank you posting those links. It makes me want to do this even more so. I love the first link but my stone is a bit larger than what that setting can hold. I really appreciate your help.

After looking through jewels by Erica grace rings I am even more convinced I need this type of setting. Maybe I will finally be able to tell hubby, I am happy and done!! Hehe

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn't locate a picture. But the princess ring that I attached is a similar idea. Just picture a fishtail head, with a swoopy fishtail in place of that bar midway across the head, and triple prongs on each corner for the vintage look. The larger the center diamond, the more curve that head has to have in order to have a band fit flush at the base of it, yet accommodate the diameter and depth of the diamond.

The solitaire is a ring that Excel Diamonds used to sell, I believe. I don't know if they still offer it or not.

_7947.jpg

_7948.jpg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC,
Thank you for finding that picture. I really like that set. I think that will work well with a wedding band. I am going to see if I can find that type of setting without the side stones as I like the solitaire look with my stone. Really appreciate your efforts! On to search...

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I did it. Reset it into fishtail prong white gold setting. I think it makes the stone so much larger. Will post before and after photos. What do we think? Thanks for all who contributed. Love PS, I am addicted.

_8180.jpg

_8181.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks AWESOME, Sandeek!!! :appl: More photos, please!! :naughty:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great!! :appl: The fishtail setting really does make the stone look bigger but still lets it be the star of the show, good choice...would love to see more pics!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies. I do love it. I love the intricate designs and halos others have but I am a simple lady. Here's another photo. :love:

_8182.jpg

_8183.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does look bigger, yet keeps with the clean simple look.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results