shape
carat
color
clarity

Soliciting comments on Regent - the story is long, of course!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ociopia

Rough_Rock
As I could not fall in love with the round brilliants, but love their fire and sparkle, I have been searching for several months for an alternative stone. On a rather limited budget.

Over time, I realized that cut quality and size (and I mean dimensions of the stone, not really the carat weight) were more important to me than color and clarity. I know that puts me in the minority here but size is as important to me as cut.

I love the asschers but their depth makes their visual dimensions smaller and so I could not afford to get a big enough one for me.

I love the flanders but they are too pricey.

Eventually I found a regent on GOG that was a .77 carat, G, I1 that had very nice size - it was actually bigger than the .90 carat also listed! I liked the "specs" on the GOG site and inquired about it. (It is still up there if anyone wants to look.) Jonathan had sent it back to the source for inventory and they had taken it to the Florida gem show and sold it. I was pretty crestfallen as it was $2000 - what a lovely price!

Jonathan started searching for me, knowing what I wanted, and came up with a 1.15 carat, I, I1, regent for $3487 and I decided to get it and take a look.

As to the I1, it has a GIA report that shows loads of different "stuff" in the table. What I see with my naked eye, in certain lights, is a "white feather or cloud" - I don''t know which, in the table. It is the most visible in daylight but I must say I don''t think it is really much of anything. Obviously I can live with stuff I can''t see much more easily than the majority of posters here :~)

The stone has tremendous sparkle and scintillation. Of course it varies in different lighting conditions but is lovely in the majority of lights. I primarily see color in "low light" conditions and the color comes off of the facets above the girdle. But in many lights, the whole ring just sizzles, sparkles, glistens and is very "exciting."

As to color, it is not at all warm. I would also say it is not tremendously "white." If D is white and F or G is platinum, this I is sterling silver, if that type of analogy makes sense.

The regent cut? It is really just gorgeous. Almost a square, very much like a round - a fascinating blend of the two.

The stats:
carat: 1.150
6.17 x 6.17 x 4.0 mm
crown angle: 38.3
crown height: 9.5
pavillion angle: 40.9
pavillion depth: 43
table size: 73.5
symmetry: vg
polish: vg
clarity: I1
color: I
total depth: 64.9
fluoresence: faint

Jonathan posted the b''scope of it in another thread here today called "square vs modified square" and you can see it there - it is: White Light - VH 2 1/2, Colored Light - VH 2, Scintillation - H 1.

I would like to know what the "group" thinks? I will post a series of photos I have taken (I see I needed to do this prior to composition so they will just come after). I know the stone is very lovely. I would like to know if this seems like a good price? And I realize that will be quite hard as no one but Jonathan seems to carry regents. But I will appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!

ociopia

Rough_Rock
Photo 1 of the Regent indoors in direct sunlight.

ring indoors in direct sunlight 2.JPG

ociopia

Rough_Rock
This is the ring on a yellow background.

ring indoors in sunlight 1.JPG

ociopia

Rough_Rock
Another photo.

regent 1.JPG

ociopia

Rough_Rock
Sure wish I knew how to put these photos in this area instead of as an attachment!

stairwell 4.JPG

ociopia

Rough_Rock
Okay - I think this is enough of a selection to give you an idea of what the ring looks like.

Thanks!

stairwell 3.JPG

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Ociopia!

Of all the new cuts being introduced the Regent as you have so aptly pointed out is a really excellent blend of the most brilliant diamonds available (round H&A's) yet maintaining a certain uniqueness among the world of fancies. Rarely do I come across square brilliants that have the kick and punch of diamonds like yours. I am thrilled that you appreciate and share in my enthusiasm of these awesome rocks. Most of all I am happy that you are happy. Something else you point out too about finely cut stones is their beauty in low light conditions. All people who are conisseurs of fine cuts and stones with great internal reflectivity identify with your observations. Thanks for letting us be of help during this important chapter of your life.

Peace,
Rhino

julieinkc

Rough_Rock
I think it looks beautiful and I like this cut very much. I have no idea about the price. However, I just wanted to tell you that I am another who owns a "less than perfect" diamond that has a lot of sparkle and was the right price. It is a very well cut I, SI2. I still have to look pretty hard in the right lighting to find the small inclusion under the table (which is the only eye visible inclusion). It is also something I can live with easily! And the I color is just as you described. If you love this stone, and the price is right, enjoy it!

ociopia

Rough_Rock
I see I forgot to mention:

girdle: thin to medium
girdle thickness: 12.4%
culet: none

Also - please forgive - the b'scope image was posted on another forum. You can view all the info at this link:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/regent_1_15ct_i_i1.htm

Best,
appl.gif

schielke

Rough_Rock
This is wierd, but for some reason I think I am looking at either a remarkably similar diamond or the same one. Do you still have this diamond Ociopia?

The link you posted above is for a diamond that is listed in their "for sale" section. I was also quoted a price for the diamond.

Am I nuts?
1.gif

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results