shape
carat
color
clarity

Soldering of Rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nhwhazup

Rough_Rock
I am looking to have my platinum rings soldered together. My rings were custom designed by a designer in CA and originally I didn''t want to get them soldered. But because of the design and how the rings fit together now I do. I am in NH and don''t want to send my rings so I have talked to a few local jewelers. They have told me different ways of doing the soldering. Two different jewelers said they can do it on the inside of the ring so nothing will show. They both do it in house and said it will take around 2 hours. One other said that they place a bead between the rings. All told me that the solder could be removed and the rings separated at a later time without any problems. My rings were made with 900/100 plat/iridium. Any questions or suggestions on the correct way to do the soldering and anything special I should be looking for?

To me it sounds pretty simple but I don''t want any damage or shoddy workmanship.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
I just had my 2 platinum rings soldered together. Took about 5 minutes. He just ran a little bit of platinum about 3/16" long between the 2 rings at the very bottom. Make sure that the jeweler doesn't use so much platinum that it runs over the edges.

diamluvr

Rough_Rock
I was actually wondering the same thing myself.. My e-ring is engraved on the inside and my wedding band will be as well. Will soldering the rings together ruin the engraving? Also, I've heard of "clips" that can be attached to "link" the rings together, so you can seperate them if you wish at any time-is the same thing nhwhazup mentioned?

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Anyone heard of these clips?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about clips, but I did purchase these plastic tubes called ring snuggies from Claire's, for about $3 and THey are great!!!
They come in four different sizes and the largest size is big enough to go over both of my rings. Actually, one is too big and I wound up cutting it into two.
They prevent my rings from rolling and the diamonds are always centered, plus, they don't damage the rings because they are soft and they actually prevent scratches from getting on the shank, because the palm side of my rings are always protected.
To date, I still have not scratched my rings.
It's a nice temporary fix. Of course, if you want something permanent, then soldering sounds like a great idea. I once had a ring that was slightly too big and someone put a metal clip in the ring and it actually caused indentations in the metal.
Hope this helps!!!

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/27/2003 10:46:41 AM diamluvr wrote:
Will soldering the rings together ruin the engraving?
----------------

No, as the rings are soldered together at the edge.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Mine are plat and soldered on the inside edge. By looking at them from the outside, you'd never know they are soldered. They look like 2 seperate rings. But,.... mine are smooth. Engraving,..... I dunno.

Definitely having your rings "permanently" fixed together in some way will help preserve the patterns. The scalloped edge of the stones setting pattern wore off on a gold wedding band I used to have. Turning around caused it to rub against the e-ring.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results