shape
carat
color
clarity

SOLD Matched 4mm pair of OECs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am posting this because a number of PSers indicated they would be interested in this matched pair if I decided not to keep them. I prefer larger side stones for a three stone ring, so I am not going to keep these.

The diamonds arrived today and are very pretty and well matched to the naked eye. They are 0.52cttw. Their diameters are almost identical, one being 4.05mm and the other being 4.10mm per my digital calipers. The color is in the H-J range. The two diamonds look very well matched for color. On very very close inspection the 4.05mm stone may be a hint more tinted, but that is only me being super picky ;)) The diamonds are eye clean with no visible inclusions or chips or nicks on the girdles.

As the pictures show, the stones are different flavors of old cuts, with one being more of a transitional type cut and the other being a more typical OEC type of cut. You can only see this in macro photography, or if you look very very closely with the naked eye. The most obvious difference in the profiles, with one having a slightly lower crown height. Picky-pickersons will not like this, but most normal people would not really notice or care!

I think these could make perfect side stones for a three stone ring, they will fit any mount that takes 0.25ct side stones, or beautiful studs. Or two fifths of a five stone ring!

Retail comps run about $880 plus shipping (e.g., two of these: http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.php?ID=77&SHAPE=SM). I am asking what I paid, $580 plus $40 for express, insured, and tracked shipping. I accept PayPal and ship to verified addresses only. I have sold and bought on DB a number of times in the past. References available to serious buyers upon request.

Please ask any questions now, this is considered a final sale.

If no one is interested I will likely return them to the vendor. I suspect he will resell them for a higher price. He seemed very pained when I reminded him of the quote he gave me for these about two months ago when I initially inquired!

Contact me here: http://diamondbistro.com/index.php?a=2&b=27727

oecearrings2 022.JPG

oecearrings2 018.JPG

oecearrings2 020.JPG

oecearrings2 021.JPG

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
Re: Matched 4mm pair of OECs

Just sent you a message! :love: :appl: :naughty: :lickout: :love: :appl: :naughty: :lickout: :love: :appl: :naughty: :lickout:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sent you a message as well!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sold :))

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Congrats DD!! Super swift!

Those both look fantastic but one looks more like a tranny aka modernish RB with an almost nonexistent culet, and the other looks like an older cut OEC. Is that what you thought in person too? I love that high crown on the older OEC. Swoon.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mara|1332973677|3158568 said:
Congrats DD!! Super swift!

Those both look fantastic but one looks more like a tranny aka modernish RB with an almost nonexistent culet, and the other looks like an older cut OEC. Is that what you thought in person too? I love that high crown on the older OEC. Swoon.

Yes, absolutely right Mara! If you read my description that is how I described them and I double checked that the buyer knew about those differences and was ok with them :))

The tranny looks basically like an RB in this size, but then so does the OEC. I find you have to look so clesely to see faceting differences in stones smaller than about 5mm. As I mentioned in the listing, the crown height differences is the most notable difference with the naked eye. But even that you do have to look closely to see.

I bought these from a vendor as a matched pair, based on one photo. I suspected they might be different cut styles, and even asked the vendor to confirm that the tranny stone had an open culet, which he did?? Anyways, I think this just goes to show how hard it really can be to find pairs of these old cuts that are 100% matching!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

It can be difficult to see differences for sure. When I got my 3.5mm's swapped out in my OEC ring for OEC's (badly cut MRB's were in there and it was obvious), it made such a difference! The crowns are definitely the biggest difference. I ended up with four 3.5mm's and we matched 2 and sold the others.

Matching can be difficult but I've been surprised. I had a 5mm I was getting ready to sell, not planning to do anything with it after all, and then I got another 5mm (but I just knew it was a .50c) and it turned out to be an almost PERFECT match to the one I wanted to sell! So I guess I'm keeping them for earrings.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cool about the halfs!

Collecting multiples and hoping some pair up is the only way. Its how I got my studs too.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer, I'm curious...what do you think about the vendor now that you received them and saw what they think is a matched pair?

I'm the first one to understand how different crown heights, etc, can still translate to two stones that look well matched (the ones in my brooch are that way), but there is no way I'd take those two stones as a matched pair by my own PS definitions (and PAY for them as such by a vendor who represented them that way)...and I'd be surprised if you ever used those in your three stone project knowing how picky you are. It seems you asked the vendor about the specifics, and what you got is a bit different than what you may have been expecting? They are pretty stones, for sure, but to me even in the far away photos, they look different (one with chunkier facets/kozibe and the other with a more splintery look). Again, I do understand IRL that one wouldn't be able to tell, and size and color are the main factors for the match.

I'm only asking because a few people have told me that vendor is pretty good, but based on this, I don't think I'd buy pairs from him.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal|1333038909|3159149 said:
Dreamer, I'm curious...what do you think about the vendor now that you received them and saw what they think is a matched pair?

I'm the first one to understand how different crown heights, etc, can still translate to two stones that look well matched (the ones in my brooch are that way), but there is no way I'd take those two stones as a matched pair by my own PS definitions (and PAY for them as such by a vendor who represented them that way)...and I'd be surprised if you ever used those in your three stone project knowing how picky you are. It seems you asked the vendor about the specifics, and what you got is a bit different than what you may have been expecting? They are pretty stones, for sure, but to me even in the far away photos, they look different (one with chunkier facets/kozibe and the other with a more splintery look). Again, I do understand IRL that one wouldn't be able to tell, and size and color are the main factors for the match.

I'm only asking because a few people have told me that vendor is pretty good, but based on this, I don't think I'd buy pairs from him.

Since the buyer has not received these stones yet I want to make clear that if I thought that these were a complete dogs breakfast in terms of matching I would not have offered them to anyone here and would have just returned them :)) My very first reaction when I opened the package was: "Oooh pretty!" Which is my own personal way of assessing cut quality. Seen in real life from about 8-10 inches these stones look the same, even with the differences in faceting that we know are present. They are the same millimeter diameter and the color is well matched. They also are exceptionally round for oldies, and have no nicks or damage to their girdles. So for all of those reasons I can see why the vendor sold them as matched. The person who bought them from me has been trying on her own to find a matched pair for a while with no luck at all and was more than happy to buy these stones with all the similarities/positive features they *do* have (size, color, symmetry, no nicks, ease, cut quality "vetted" by me, better photos than the vendor provided) at the cost, I suppose, of the faceting differences. I think many buyers would feel the same, so from that perspective the vendor was perhaps taking a calculated risk.

I just do not want it to seem like I foisted some sub-par diamonds off on another PSer :)) That is not the case. And I don't want her worrying until she gets them in the mail in another week or 10 days!

That said, let's move the vendor talk to my other three stone thread because this one will be closed soon since the diamonds are sold ::) I'll bump it in RT because I do have opinions on this matter.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer, I don't think anyone's suggesting they're subpar stones. They're both beautiful in their own right, I'm sure.....but I can see where TGal's feeling they aren't a matched set, and I'd fall into that camp, too. I've found I'm particularly bugged when the table sizes are this disparate, and they need to be closer in facet arrangement for me to perform more similarly.

But I'm sure they're both lovely stones, and as long a the buyer isn't sensitive to those elements (like I'm not horribly color sensitive), I'm sure she'll enjoy them very much!

InnaR

Shiny_Rock

I would consider those two - matched in size and color. And I think that the title Dreamer chose for this topic represents it very well. I don't think they they mach in terms of faceting, but like my jewerler says "if the price is right..." :twirl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

As I said before, I know these are different flavours of old cuts, it is evident in my photos and the write up I made. I presented the diamonds accurately for what they are. More importantly, the buyer knows this too and is happy with the choice to buy these stones. She is very excited to receive this pair of gorgeous fraternal twins.

Keeping that in mind -- that these diamonds belong to a PSer who plans to wear them and love them -- I think posters should refrain from stating that *they* would not have bought this pair of stones or been happy to match them up in a piece ::)

As to the issue of how the diamonds were presented *to me*, I discussed that in my RT thread, where it belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results