shape
carat
color
clarity

Solasfera vs WF ACA. please help me decide.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me - ACA. For you? Depends on what you want to see.

I like big, bold flashes of colour and the solasfera, w/ its many facets, will naturally have smaller virtual facets - smaller facets means weaker refractions, and many facets close together means that if refractions do disperse they're more likely to recombine w/ neighbouring dispersions back into white by the time they reach your eyes.

The solasfera will have more, faster, smaller twinkles of bright white light, the ACA will have comparatively fewer, slower, bolder flashes. Facets are already small (and thus predisposed to twinkly white light return) simply because of the stone size you are considering, I'd want as few facets that are as large as possible to provide some balance, but you might prefer to see lots of white twinkle and would love something like the Solasfera in this size :))

A frequent poster Kenny owns both ACA & solasfera - you might look through his threads to find his thoughts and comparisons.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough call.
We have both.
Our ACA is 0.82 ct E VVS1 and our Solasfera is 0.83 ct F VS1 so they are well-matched for comparison.

Like most of today's rounds the ACA has 8 sections (8 arrows) but the Solasfera has 10.
Like Yssie said, more facets means more (but smaller) sparkles, though the term "weaker" never comes to mind when I marvel at our Solasfera's light performance.

Unlike the ACA, the Solasfera has zero contrast leakage, so its Idealscope image is solid red.
In very soft, even, diffuse lighting the Solasfera looks more solid white, edge to edge, to my eyes.

People have gotten used to the conventional 8-section round brilliant and most people lean towards what they are familiar with.
I'm open to both, have both, and insist that they are both equally beautiful, just different.

At 0.66 carat I might lean towards the ACA for the larger facets, but both will blow your head off with superior light performance and fire.
Is it possible to buy both and return one?
That is the best way to compare and IMHO is well worth the $50 or so in return shipping and insurance you'll have to pay.
(Caution, you may decide you want to keep them both! :bigsmile: )

Here are pics of ours; ACA is on the left.

Picture 28.png

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be ACA for me.

Lightfoot

Rough_Rock
kenny|1302112826|2889352 said:
Is it possible to buy both and return one?
That is the best way to compare and IMHO is well worth the $50 or so in return shipping and insurance you'll have to pay.

I really second this advice - I understand that $50 or so isn't exactly spare change but if you are seriously considering both (Solasfera vs a Hearts and Arrows) like I was then seeing them in person will be immensely helpful (even after watching every Solasfera vs. H & A video :))

I really don't think one is better than the other, but Solasfera vs H&A is one case where I feel like you will easily be able to determine a preference if you compare in person.

ph

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone! After viewing as many side by side videos as I could find, I *almost* think I like the regular H&A. I can see how they are different but its still hard to determine what I like more. I can definitely understand what you guys are saying about the size of the stone being a factor too.

I found another diamond on GOG that I might be interested in http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7864/

Thoughts on this vs. the WF ACA? http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2618033.htm

I just wish there was an obvious, clear cut winner here. I'm thinking price might be the factor here as well. Both GOG stones are at $2k and change, the WF ACA would be $400 less after the price scope discount.

decisions :errrr:

thanks again

Lightfoot

Rough_Rock
ph|1302161032|2889960 said:
Thanks for the advice everyone! After viewing as many side by side videos as I could find, I *almost* think I like the regular H&A. I can see how they are different but its still hard to determine what I like more. I can definitely understand what you guys are saying about the size of the stone being a factor too.

I found another diamond on GOG that I might be interested in http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7864/

Thoughts on this vs. the WF ACA? http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2618033.htm

I just wish there was an obvious, clear cut winner here. I'm thinking price might be the factor here as well. Both GOG stones are at $2k and change, the WF ACA would be $400 less after the price scope discount.

thanks again

My feeling is that you can't go wrong with a H&A from GOG or WF. Now it's possible that, once you saw a Solasfera in person, you would like it a little more or a little less than a H&A BUT I don't think you would see a Solasfera in person and think, "why did I buy this junk?" (regarding your H&A). When I got to see them side-by-side in person, I thought for certain one would trounce the other but it just wasn't true. So if you're learning towards the H&A, then don't worry.

I don't want to sway you one way or the other (and besides that, we have no idea if our preferences are the same :)) but if it helps, I thought for sure I would pick a Solasfera over a H&A after watching the videos, but then seeing them in person, I liked the H&A a bit more. And in the size range you're looking at, my preference would also be for H&A over Solasfera.

Regarding the two diamonds you just posted - I'm curious if someone more knowledgeable would know why the WF SI1s appear to show their inclusions more on the H&A and idealscope images vs. the GOG SI2 - I would think it would be the other way around? (Assuming those are the inclusions I'm seeing). Would those indicate any negative affect on performance?

ph

Rough_Rock
Lightfoot|1302176089|2889995 said:
ph|1302161032|2889960 said:

thanks again

My feeling is that you can't go wrong with a H&A from GOG or WF. Now it's possible that, once you saw a Solasfera in person, you would like it a little more or a little less than a H&A BUT I don't think you would see a Solasfera in person and think, "why did I buy this junk?" (regarding your H&A). When I got to see them side-by-side in person, I thought for certain one would trounce the other but it just wasn't true. So if you're learning towards the H&A, then don't worry.

I don't want to sway you one way or the other (and besides that, we have no idea if our preferences are the same :)) but if it helps, I thought for sure I would pick a Solasfera over a H&A after watching the videos, but then seeing them in person, I liked the H&A a bit more. And in the size range you're looking at, my preference would also be for H&A over Solasfera.

Regarding the two diamonds you just posted - I'm curious if someone more knowledgeable would know why the WF SI1s appear to show their inclusions more on the H&A and idealscope images vs. the GOG SI2 - I would think it would be the other way around? (Assuming those are the inclusions I'm seeing). Would those indicate any negative affect on performance?

thank you for the insight :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In that size my vote is the solasfera. Diamonds under a carat, and definitely under .75ct, really favour splintery light return to my eye and excell at brightness (compared to larger 1.5ct + stones which have larger facts and thus more contrast). For me, in that size range I would want to emphasize the splintery look and the pinfire and brightness, all of which will be greater in the solasfera. So that is my vote!

ph

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1302193481|2890187 said:
In that size my vote is the solasfera. Diamonds under a carat, and definitely under .75ct, really favour splintery light return to my eye and excell at brightness (compared to larger 1.5ct + stones which have larger facts and thus more contrast). For me, in that size range I would want to emphasize the splintery look and the pinfire and brightness, all of which will be greater in the solasfera. So that is my vote!

thank you for that!

anyone else agree?

im easily swayed :cheeky:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the H&A in that size, mainly because I like the look of larger facets. But either one will blow you away!

looking4ring

Rough_Rock
I bought a Solasfera a couple of months ago, I think their performance in most lighting conditions is very similar to ACAs and other 57-faceted cuts but in intense spot lighting they are way more lively! One of the things that swayed my decision was the fact that the Solasfera (even IF I thought it was completely equally appealing as an ACA) is something unique, since most people who buy rounds go with the traditional H&A stones. I think one of the reasons why people prefer the 57-faceted cut is because that is what we are trained to look at, if polished diamonds were discovered yesterday and the Solasfera and 57-faceted H&A were the first two cutting designs created, you might see more people opt for Solasfera, but who knows? Either way here's another vote for solasfera!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have several ACA and the are FABULOUS!!! However, I have never seen the other so good luck with your choice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results