shape
carat
color
clarity

So, where does one find mint garnets anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
So, where does one find mint garnets anyway?

They don''t come up too much on web vendors sites, it seems. When they do, they are usually in shapes I''m not crazy about (ovals, trillions).

Thanks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True Merelani mints are pretty rare. Multicolour has some light saturated tsavorites that might qualify as minty in some arenas. The returns process is a major hassle if you don''t like it. Welborn on ebay has some light saturated ones as well.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS vendors have had them in the past (I remember seeing ones from Gene and Jeff white relatively recently). I agree though that they are fairly rare. Best bet might be to email them to see if they can find you one.

There are some listed here, though i have no experience with the site/vendor:
http://www.grangem.com/index.php?cPath=24

MrsDoubleP

Shiny_Rock
Jeff White has had this one on his site for a while now. It''s a good shape for a pendant.

GAR087f.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The above stone is very nice.

The mint garnets come from Tanzania, for the same area that Tanzanite is mined. My self, Roger, and Peter will be traveling to this area the end of June, and hope to see some nice pieces. Large sizes are rare, and expensive. Cut stones 1 ct and smaller are usually not a problem to find.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 10:34:54 PM
Author: PrecisionGem

The mint garnets come from Tanzania, for the same area that Tanzanite is mined. My self, Roger, and Peter will be traveling to this area the end of June, and hope to see some nice pieces. Large sizes are rare, and expensive. Cut stones 1 ct and smaller are usually not a problem to find.
Oooo, can''t wait to see what you guys bring back! Hope you guys have a safe and fruitful trip!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gemnut (weblorn on ebay) has some nice mints.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 10:51:34 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Date: 5/29/2009 10:34:54 PM

Author: PrecisionGem

Oooo, can''t wait to see what you guys bring back! Hope you guys have a safe and fruitful trip!

Me, too! I looooove green
21.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Some of the rough dealers carry them...or at least have them listed on their web sites. Thomas Schneider has some listed here: http://www.tmsgems.com/store/index.php?cPath=2_30_34&osCsid=86e51076dd20b350e5af3d4cc5196ebe The only problem is that they cost $40 to $65 per carat and going up. The rough stones are never perfectly shaped for the cut shape that you want and there''s always an inclusion right where you don''t want it. At $65 a carat it''s almost mandatory to cut the rough to whatever shape gives the largest, best cut stone possible and even then the cut cost could be close to 10 times that, (assuming a lot of weight loss during cutting). I haven''t called them to see if they have much of this, but if you''ve got the $$, you or your preferred cutter can give them a call and see what they''ve got.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I''m a bit late in saying "thanks" as things here got busy.

But, thanks, all, for the response.

Nothing is still quite fitting. Jeff''s is cute and well cut, but I don''t want a trillion. Swala''s pear seems a bit too dark for what I''m looking for (a lighter mint). I like the color on the rectangular one at Gem Traders but I don''t like when they start to get that "X" thing going on in the facets. I don''t do ovals, so the other Gem Trader is out. (Thanks, though, Chrono).

Gran Gems I may look into more.

I think Michael E.''s "rough" idea may be the way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results