shape
carat
color
clarity

So what is a Twining?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purduephotog

Rough_Rock
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=2202431&ref=PS622

Any more examples of what this looks like? The one photo I saw on the web wasn''t very clear...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe you mean "twinning" This occurs when two diamond crytals grow into one another or when something caused a slight shift in the natural growth pattern of a diamond crystal. A line of delineation exists at their joining zone and may be somewhat visible after the diamond is cut and polished. There may be slight grain lines on the surface indicating areas of slightly different hardness to the polishing process, or there may be internal wisps, faint marks, where the twinned crystals have slightly distrupted their natural growth patterns in forming one crystal with a slight irregularity in structure..

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... that is a *sample picture* not the actual diamond.

Aside the twinning, tyhe GIA cert reads "Fair" symmetry and "Strong" fluorescence. Are you sure you want to go there at all ? Not that I know what this diamond looks like, but these words make me believe that, well, either this is a great deal or not a deal at all. definitely a case of "seeing is believing". If it was for me, I would just look at the stone and forget the paper trail (=GIA) altogether for everything except price, but this is not my decision so I cannot know what you know...

read.gif
As for "twinning wisps" - you can look on THIS page for a couple of very good pictures. Just scroll down below the other types of inclusions. And more magnified inclusions reside down THIS link for ref - one more example of twinning (associated with an included crystal) appears on page 3.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about THIS as an option? High color is there.. clarity same grade, but no fluorescence and "very good" polish and symmetry. All that's missing is the cert pic and a picture of the stone, of course.

And then there is that SI3 clarity garde from EGL which should mean "cleaner I1" which may correspond to your target, if I am not way wrong. So, how about something like THIS ?

Just in case the other does not prove to be the greatest...

I have to admit, I definitely like your approach - hunting down attractive diamonds beyond the most popular grades that is, if I gues it right
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Twining? Tea, London?

Sharon
saint.gif

purduephotog

Rough_Rock
ACK! Yeah Twinning I know. I missed the 2nd 'n' on the report and read it as twining ... like the rope. Hence my complete and utter confusion (here I'm coming up with helical defects in protiens).

I used to grow crystals for work... I have some unbelievable beautiful ones that, no matter how I tried, almost always grew twinned. So in the end I decided to make a process that grew them to about 5nm in size and wouldn't let'em get any bigger
1.gif

I will ask Jennifer about that first GIA stone. I was hoping to strike it rich like Patty did at SuperbCert but so far I've had no luck.

I'm going to go look at local stones today- I was hoping to have the stone from whiteflash in hand and make a final decision, but I've decided I'm going to only ask 1x for everything from now on. I don't know how my mother ever put up with asking me to do something 3 or 4 times... it's very annoying.

Thanks for the tidbits, that G colour looks nice I can't wait to find it's specs. It's also about 1.5x bigger than I wanted but hey, brownie points are good....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results