shape
carat
color
clarity

So... what foreign films would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thank you for your responses and recommendations, everyone!

I went to the local library over the weekend and discovered they have a pretty decent foreign film section.
36.gif
(Free rentals are always great.) I''m going to print out this thread and head over there sometime this week. I''m also going to look into Netflix (thanks movie zombie).

I''m looking forward to going through the list of movies you all recommended.

If there are any other films you enjoyed, please let me know!

Cheers.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 10:54:05 PM
Author: movie zombie
oh, where to begin?! we saw 50 films in 9.5 days at the toronto international film festival and i can tell you there is a lot of great foreign film out there. you've rec'd a lot of good suggestions in this thread. i'd suggest joining netflix if you haven't done so already and listing those films as well as the ones you saw and liked. netflix will do the rest for you and generate a list based on your entries.

movie zombie
You know, movie zombie, I lived in Toronto all my life until moving last year and I only went to TIFF once. Looking back, I'm really disappointed I didn't take advantage of this opportunity.

ETA: I did like The Departed and so did FI. Thanks for reminding me it was based on a foreign film. I'll look into renting the original.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 10:54:30 AM
Author: arjunajane
Oh, I''m not sure if its to your taste, but I love ''Le Haine''- translates to Hate in French.
It has Vincent Cassell, who I think is the biggest spunk !
But it is quite violent, just incase you''re not into that sorta thing..

I also second some of the other suggestions - I love Japanimation, Spirited Away is one on my all time faves, that guy is amazing.
Also Pan''s Labrynth was awesome.
Thanks arjunajane, I don''t mind violence as long as there''s a point to it. (The History of Violence with Viggo Mortensen is one of my favourite movies.)

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 12:15:37 PM
Author: EBree
Do you like scary movies? If so, I highly recommend El Orfanato/The Orphanage. It was very good.

It isn''t gory (that I can remember), just haunting.
Hi Ebree, I like scary/thriller but not gory so I''ll definitely look into El Orfanato. Thanks!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I highly recommend "Mostly Martha". Very sweet German film. "La Vie En Rose" is very good, but also sad (it's about the life of Edith Piaff--the woman in it won best actress last year). "The Lives of Others" is AMAZING. I also very much enjoyed "Once", "Goodbye Lenin", "Tsotsi" (warning--another heartwrenching story), and "Il Postino". Also, if you enjoyed "Pan's Labyrinth", you should watch "The Devil's Backbone". Creepy movie, but good.

Also, someone recommended "Oldboy"--just be forewarned that that movie is TWISTED. Seriously.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Hey Movie Zombie!

Your quote... "I don''t feel enjoyment watching films that evoke passivity. If you need that kind of comfort, I don''t understand why you wouldn''t go to a spa." Chan-wook Park
Park Chan-Wook is the guy who created the film oldboy!
That movie was awesome. Not in the feel good kind of way, actually just the opposite but it was so good nonetheless.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 7:57:20 PM
Author: Peepa
Hey Movie Zombie!

Your quote... ''I don''t feel enjoyment watching films that evoke passivity. If you need that kind of comfort, I don''t understand why you wouldn''t go to a spa.'' Chan-wook Park
Park Chan-Wook is the guy who created the film oldboy!
That movie was awesome. Not in the feel good kind of way, actually just the opposite but it was so good nonetheless.
yes, and his films are far from evoking passivity!

you have of course also seen SYMPATHY FOR MR VENGENANCE and SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGENANCE?

and another to catch is JSA [joint security area].

different director but also interesting: 69

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235154/

movie zombie

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I heart British films (do they really count as foreign though? They''re always mixed in with the mainstream ones at Blockbuster) - I just saw Mrs. Pulfrey Goes to the Claremont and really liked it. Ditto to Run, Lola, Run. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon rocks, and one year for Christmas, my mom gave me a movie called Italian for Beginners which was a sweet little movie - not the best I''d ever seen, but an OK rental. Pan''s Labyrinth was amazing, but I''m glad I saw it at home and not when it was showing at our local art theater. I don''t think I''ve ever said "Noooooo..." more times during a movie.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 10:47:57 AM
Author: CDNinNYC

Date: 10/5/2008 10:54:30 AM
Oh, I''m not sure if its to your taste, but I love ''Le Haine''- translates to Hate in French.
It has Vincent Cassell, who I think is the biggest spunk !
But it is quite violent, just incase you''re not into that sorta thing..

I also second some of the other suggestions - I love Japanimation, Spirited Away is one on my all time faves, that guy is amazing.
Also Pan''s Labrynth was awesome.
Thanks arjunajane, I don''t mind violence as long as there''s a point to it. (The History of Violence with Viggo Mortensen is one of my favourite movies.)
you''re welcome!
Have you seen Eastern Promises then..?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
while i thought Viggio was excellent in Eastern Promises, i preferred overall A History of Violence.

movie zombie

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 6:36:09 PM
Author: Elmorton
I heart British films (do they really count as foreign though? They''re always mixed in with the mainstream ones at Blockbuster) - I just saw Mrs. Pulfrey Goes to the Claremont and really liked it. Ditto to Run, Lola, Run. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon rocks, and one year for Christmas, my mom gave me a movie called Italian for Beginners which was a sweet little movie - not the best I''d ever seen, but an OK rental. Pan''s Labyrinth was amazing, but I''m glad I saw it at home and not when it was showing at our local art theater. I don''t think I''ve ever said ''Noooooo...'' more times during a movie.
I think they count (as I would with Australian, Canadian, and New Zealand films).

Pan Labryrinth seems to be a favourite among PSers. I''ll have to put that movie at the top of my list.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
CINEMA PARADISO was awesome.

Life is Beautiful was wonderful too.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 9:49:50 PM
you''re welcome!
Have you seen Eastern Promises then..?
I have seen it! Although the movie has David Cronenberg''s signature violent moments, they didn''t dominate the quieter ones.

Kyle921

Rough_Rock
I love Amelie, it is just such a happy movie. Belle Epoque and Volver are fun.

This is a cool topic. I can''t wait to check out some of the suggestions this weekend.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you liked Volver, see THE FLOWER OF MY SECRET also by the same director and i think an even better film. what is interesting is that in this film he lays out the entire plot outline for Volver in one scene.....and then 10 years later he makes Volver entirely based on that plot!

movie zombie

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
These go back a couple of years but my husband and I both enjoyed Bread and Tulips and Italian for Beginners.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
So I was out and about today and came across an independant book shop that also sold DVDs. I came out with ''Kung Fu Hustle'' for $7 (and ''Sideways'' for $5).

Now I just gotta convince FI it''s a good idea to order in Buffalo wings (I''ve been craving them like mad), drink beer, eat ButterCup Bakeshop red velvet cupcakes, and watch a movie instead of going out to a fancy restaurant to celebrate my getting older...
1.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Heh--Sideways was filmed in my home town (more or less). The funny part about it is that the wineries they go to are by no means the best ones in the area...but it sure gave them a boost in business!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
The French Trilogy - Three Colours, Blue, White and Red.
City of God
The Chorus
Paris, Je T''aime
Cache

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i so love Kung Foo Hustle and Paris j''tme [please excuse spelling...i watch foreign films but am not responsible for spelling foreign titles!].

movie zombie

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Update request!

Has anyone taken up a suggestion made in this thread yet?

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
To add to the foreign films (and second a few suggested by others):

City of God (Brazil)
Run, Lola, Run (Germany, great kinetic energy)
Europa, Europa (German/Polish/Russian)
Belle de Jour (France, for the Catherine Deneuve fans)
Central Station (Brazil)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (France)
Blue/White/Red trilogy (France)
The Double Life of Veronique (France)
La Femme Nikita (France, so much cooler that that twitty american remake)
Seven Samurai (Japan)
Wings of Desire (West Germany)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (China)
Raise the Red Lantern (China)
In America (Ireland/US co-prod, I think)
Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources (France)
Y Tu Mama Tambien (Mexico)
Children of Heaven (Iran)
Amelie (France-- just a delightful confection of charm)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, I definately second City Of God, and the sequel City Of Men.
I lurve Kung Fu Hustle, hilarious!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
"City of God" was very good. So was "Motorcycle Diaries".

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 4:45:48 PM
Author: Galateia
Update request!

Has anyone taken up a suggestion made in this thread yet?
YES!

I''ve seen a few these last few days:

pans labyrinth
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Kung Fu Hustle (which FI loved)
Lars and the Real Girl

I''ve also put a bunch of other recommended movies on hold at the local public library, so I''m just waiting for a notice that they''re available!

Keep the recommendations coming! I would also like to ''ditto'' Galateia''s post and ask if anyone else has seen any of the foreign films suggested here based on the recommendations?

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone here seen The Live''s of others''?? I LOVED it, and it was actually playing during our honeymoon and we were dorks and watched it AGAIN!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405094/

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 1:40:28 PM
Author: julesbeth
Anyone here seen The Live''s of others''?? I LOVED it, and it was actually playing during our honeymoon and we were dorks and watched it AGAIN!

I saw that one; loved it!

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
oh good, I am glad someone else here liked it too!!! I think I might need to buy it ;-)

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 1:40:28 PM
Author: julesbeth

I really enjoyed the movie as well... though perhaps not so much as to watch a repeat of it on my honeymoon! LOL!

If you liked that movie, may I recommend one you might also enjoy? If you like intrigue and suspense set in foreign cities, rent Orson Wells'' "The Third Man". GREAT film noir set in post-WWII Vienna.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results