shape
carat
color
clarity

So what exactly is Fed Ex''s policy on shipping jewelry insured?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niceguymr

Rough_Rock
I saw some posts that were dated over a year ago and am wondering what anyone knows about FedEx''s policy on shipping / insuring jewelry? Is simply declaring the amount of the jewelry sufficient?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You cannot insure jewelry with Fed-Ex unless you are a dealer with private insurance or use Fed-EX DVX. Consumers canot ship Fed-Ex and insure jewelry.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

Technically, as I understand it, FedEx does not sell insurance on their packages. To do so they would have to be licensed by each state.

They sell some form of "consideration" of loss value replacement. You have to declare how much and pay an extra fee. If there is a loss - they will consider reimbursing you for the value of the product you were shipping. They are under no legal obligation to reimburse you except for the shipping charges of the package.

Perry

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is the US Postal Service is the best way to insure and send an expensive jewelry item.

niceguymr

Rough_Rock
Well then what is the point of the ''declared value'' field on the shipping forms?

niceguymr

Rough_Rock
Suppose you have it covered under your homeowners insurance and FedEx loses it?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most homeowner policies have exclusions for items being shipped. However, for the exact details of your policy - contact your insurance agent.

As for what the "declared" value spot is for. As FedEx.

I believe that Diamond Seeker provided the best method. The US postal service will absolutly insure a valuable item up to I believe $25000. I also suggest that you send it registered - return reciept requested. They will even do so with priority mail so that you have several day delivery service

Normal delivery can take a while.

Perry

lilmaria

Shiny_Rock
They are right, FedEx will not insure your package for anything more than what it costs to send it. UPS will, however they are more expensive than the USPS. Go with USPS registered mail, different price points for different values. They have each person who handles your package sign for it and you can track it online. I just sent my ering back to NY to get the head changed and it took 2.5 days to get there. I believe the jewler''s sending it back the same way, but if he uses UPS, I''ll let you know how long it took - still waiting! Good luck

sfritz

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 4:57:16 PM
Author:niceguymr
I saw some posts that were dated over a year ago and am wondering what anyone knows about FedEx''s policy on shipping / insuring jewelry? Is simply declaring the amount of the jewelry sufficient?
We have a great deal of experience with jewelry shipments. Based on our shipment losses, the United States Postal Service is the safest way to ship. We recommend either Registered Mail or Express Mail. You can track both online.

With Registered Mail, you must declare the full value of the item you are shipping; the post office will charge you for shipping and insurance. There''s one catch. Even though you pay insurance for the full value, the most you can collect from the post office is $25,000. Registered Mail can take 7-10 days to deliver.

With Express Mail, you don''t declare a value. You can insure a package for up to $5,000, and you get overnight or two-day delivery, depending on where you are shipping from and where the package is going.

Sue Fritz
Jewelers Mutual

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

I hate using USPS to ship my jewelry, talk about a nerve-wracking 5 days waiting for it to get to the destination!

UPS will insure a jewelry piece, NOT a loose diamond, but a brooch, ring, necklace, etc they will let you ship with insurance through them. I used the UPS Red in the past to ship my ring, it was $75 for a $12k value I think at the time and it just made me feel better to know that I was dropping it off at 6pm and that the vendor would have it the next morning by 8am my time...so it was only on a truck/plane to be quickly moved rather than sitting around locked up in some box for a day etc.

But not everyone agrees, some people swear by USPS ... I just hate shipping jewelry. So I try not to do it period. But when I have to I think I would UPS overnight again. I''d rather freak out for one night than 5 days.

5.gif

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
The Hope Diamond was once sent by USPS certified mail.

I''d say it comes down to how fast you want it there vs. how much you want to spend on shipping.

Whitefoot

Rough_Rock
keep in mind UPS Lost my ring. They finally paid after a month, but thats only hafter pushing them. They handled it VERY Poorly, and we were very upset. We have since STOP using UPS and will not order anything online that comes UPS. We contact the mercent to insure a diffrent delivery method. I know its extreem but it all starts with just one Person!!! FYI whiteflash provided a very beautiful ring the second time around and it came Fedex as promised

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
WhiteFoot glad to hear you got the refund back from UPS!!! At least I know in the future if something happens then they DO work things out. In terms of customer service and all that, UPS is not my favorite regardless, I actually hate them as a shipping company, they have the worst service, they are the most expensive and they take the longest for things like regular ground. Que sera sera.

Whitefoot

Rough_Rock
you have a choice when shipping. DO NOT use UPS.. DONT use them!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2006 1:49:04 PM
Author: Whitefoot
you have a choice when shipping. DO NOT use UPS.. DONT use them!
hehe unfortunately for me in our office that is all we use as we have the best rates with them, and so we ship 99% of our items through UPS for all our clients. also many of our clients have UPS accounts we ship things on...so as much as I would prefer FedEx...UPS is ingrained in our lives whether we like it or not.

Whitefoot

Rough_Rock
AOL used to be the only Dial up service now there are many others. You can make a change.. Just starts with one person!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results