shape
carat
color
clarity

So sapphires weigh more than diamonds

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry if this has been asked many times, I am having trouble with "Page Not Found" when I try searches :oops:

In a side by side comparison of say a 1ct diamond and a 1ct sapphire, will there be a noticeable size difference? If I look at 1ct diamond hand shots, will that be very off from how a sapphire would look size wise? I'm trying to get a feel for the size of a sapphire on my hand, and SMTB has some great hand shot references.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NP, I understand the frustration of the search function right now. There is a difference in size even if we hold the other parameters constant. To keep it simple, here’s an estimate of the size difference if the stones are both round:
1 ct RB diamond is approximately 6.5 mm
1 ct RB sapphire is approximately 6.0 mm

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville said:
Sorry if this has been asked many times, I am having trouble with "Page Not Found" when I try searches :oops:

In a side by side comparison of say a 1ct diamond and a 1ct sapphire, will there be a noticeable size difference? If I look at 1ct diamond hand shots, will that be very off from how a sapphire would look size wise? I'm trying to get a feel for the size of a sapphire on my hand, and SMTB has some great hand shot references.

Corundum is denser than diamonds, which means that if you have a sapphire and diamond of the same dimensions, the sapphire will weigh more. Another thing to note about sapphires is that they're often cut deeper than diamonds and other gems to get more sparkle. That also makes them face up smaller. OMG, that's another reason for me not to buy them!! LOL!

To me, a one carat sapphire often looks like a half carat "something else." Diamonds are pretty dense too, but I think a one carat sapphire is probably about three quarters the size of a one carat diamond. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
You are pretty much on the right track; a 1 ct round sapphire be around the same size as a 0.75 ct colourless diamond. Of course, it isn't set in stone because like you said, sapphires are usually cut deeper in the first place due to the lower RI.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, thank you! I'm a very visual learner, so it's a big help if I can envision the size difference from a photo.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
A diamond will weigh 3.5 times as much as an equal volume of distilled water and a corundum will weigh 4 times the same volume of water.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two things to consider, density and cut.

Sapphire has a higher specific gravity, or density, or weight per volume, than diamond.
That means if both had the exact same volume the sapphire will be heavier.
Here is a list comparing the specific gravity of gems. http://www.csgnetwork.com/gemchar.html

This has nothing do do with the fact that they could be cut differently for various reasons.
I believe I read here that a well-cut round sapphire must be cut deeper than a well-cut round diamond because of sapphire's lower index of refraction.
Naturally deeper stones will face up smaller.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results