shape
carat
color
clarity

So sad

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, first of all, big thanks to jennifer for helping me not lose my mind this morning.

I'm heartbroken about a dog I saw on the road in my neighborhood this morning on my way to work. I'm at a light and I look over at the divide (fairly busy side street in queens, ny, one way each way with a few feet of grass and trees in the middle) and there I see this face looking right at me.

It was a fluffy chow chow who looked like hell. Foaming at the mouth in heat stroke. I pull my car over and grab my sandwich and get him over to th side of the road. He was hesitant and so was I b/c chows kind of scare me)... Well, I didn't know what to do.

I drove around the block, bought paper plates and a botttle of water. Drove back and found the chow on the other side of the street. Looking at a super sweeping the sidewalk. I put the plate down slowly and poured the water. He came over and took some sipps. I didn't get TOO close b/c I don't want to lose my hand LOL... He was a little jumpy and timid...

I felt really bad. People just walked right on by him. Nobody cared. I didn't know what to do. I had to go to work and didn't have a leash of anything. I called the local animal rescue but they couldn't do anything b/c the dog wasn;t in one place- they don't go out and look for a dog.

I just keep seeing his miserable face. It's really heartbreaking.
39.gif
I spent about an hour online trying to see if anyone lost a chow. He had a black collar on. I'm just so sad.
7.gif

And don't even get me started about the cat I saw when I was leaving for work a week ago. I tried to get close but that is impossible with a cat. His tail was half missing. I cried to work that day too. I just can't handle all of the animals I see all over the place. People suck.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
MMM, my heart breaks. It''s sooo sick isn''t it?
15.gif

I went to the local shelter the other week. There were some kitty furbabies and I wanted to adopt them all. I went to inquire about getting the spay coupon for Rusty and if I should register here through them. No. But I can buy the coupon to get her spayed. Yay.

Then I visted the dog kennel. All those sad faces. There are a lot of hunters where I live so many of them were lost hunting dogs. Then there was this one just looking at me, making (sad) eye contact and communicating the "please take me home" look.
15.gif
39.gif
OMG, I would have gotten killed by DH had I done that. No more Kmom. As it is, he is only now forgiving me for bringing Rusty home. I finally had to confess my sins and apologize for not checking with him first. And he''s finally starting to actually like and show affection towards her.
36.gif
It''s been nearly a month.

Back to MMM''s story, I''m withyou, my heart aches and yes, sometimes people can be soo insensitive.
38.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy. I know how you feel and glad I was there--funny...I was just about to get up and go into a meeting and something told me to check my messages...

I will tell you again what people have told me when I have broken down--there is no way we can save all of them but we CAN do our best and every one we do save or help, either by direct action or through monetary support, is a victory in the war. I don''t know why people do what they do...it sickens me...but like my mom says, look at how some people treat their own children... is it any wonder? I get in moods sometimes after such an incident where I become very depressed and overwhelmed at the horrors these animals suffer (remember blueroses'' thread a few weeks ago...)...I feel like the world is such a horrible place and the suffering is unbearable... but people like us can''t give up...we have to turn that grief around into positive action for the animals.
1.gif

Get that leash in your trunk. Have a glass of wine. Correction-a BIG glass of wine. And face tomorrow full force.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
MMM,
That story just breaks my heart. You did what you could and were so kind to do so. Like Jennifer said put a leash in your car and have a nice glass of wine. I wish there were more great people out there like you that stop to care for a sick dog or cat. It''s so sad and I am very sorry.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
MMM, I''m so glad to know that there are other people out there like me! Seeing something like that would have just broken my heart! Just hearing about it has me tearing up...
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you were so good to stop mmm..as much as i adore animals, i am afraid of strays because of all the horror stories you hear about people who are bitten or attacked. so i probably would not have had the guts to stop.
7.gif
you just NEVER know what kind of life an animal has had and it could turn on you and i am just too paranoid. however, it's ridiculous that the animal rescue will not go out and look for the dog...because it moved from one side of the street to the other? what else are you supposed to do...if they won't help?? in our area too they request that you keep the dog in a protected area...if you find a stray, but again they are expecting you to take a huge risk with an animal with an unknown background.

did it have a collar or any tags on? it REALLY pisses me off when i see dogs that have no tags or collars on them....to me that is the height of irresponsibility. i would DIE if portia got out and didn't have her stuff on and no one knew where to return her. i am a real nut about keeping her tags on and stuff even if she goes outside on our patio.

back when P was a puppy, we were out in the field and she was playing. i see this dog turn a corner, a big fluffy tailed dog and it is heading straight for us. a little bit mangy looking but nothing too menacing, just a big dog. well P wants to go play, so i pick her up and i start heading home and the dog trots right up to us and is just sniffing P's legs and sniffing me and I am just standing there looking around. NO COLLAR..NO TAGS. Well we move past it, it lets us and we go home. Turns out the dog belongs to this auto shop around the corner from the park and they NEVER have any ID on the dog and it just roams around and crosses the street by itself and comes to the park to take massive poos and then trots on home to the auto shop. Drives me NUTS. I am soooooo tempted, and one day I may just do it, to go stick a big note on the door that says 'Pick up your dog's Sxxx and put a collar on him!!!!'. The dog is actually very friendly but i recall that first day when it was heading straight for us and I am thinking, holy crap and holding a squirming puppy in my arms!

anyway like the others said, you did what you could which is more than most, even myself....maybe someone has by now found the dog or turned it in.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
MMM,

Bless you for having the heart to help the poor thing as you did. I am also surprised no one appeared to be concerned. I know in other countries strays are quite common and ignored but considering all the pet lovers in the US I am shocked by the disinterest. You did the best/most that you could. I always help animals in need if I see them but I think I would have been scared of a hot chow!

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
I remember several years ago, back when I was still in college. There was a small dog lost (looking very lost running around in circle) in my neighborhood. I spend two hours trying to catch the dog because it''s a small dog and I saw it has a collar on him. BF was getting angry after two hours, I insist on catching the dog because I know how worry the owner will be after she realize the dog is lost (and I hope if someday this happen to my dog, some nice person will do the same for me dog). Finally I catched the dog and put him in the garage and gave him food and water. I called the # on the collar and the owner came pick up the dog. You should seen the expression on the dog and the owner. Owner was crying (I''m sure the dog is too) and the dog just raced into her arms. The two hours chase was worth it...
37.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a happy story Bobo!! For me it''s paranoia of large dogs vs small. I would probably do the same for a small dog or a friendly dog but the large dogs scare me big time! Even friendly ones in the park when they run up to you...WOAH!!

Though I am more brave when I am not alone. I was going to see my BFF recently and there was a big black dog that totally scared me by slapping paws on my car as I was getting out to visit my friend''s parents house...it followed me up to her house...she opens the door and there I am with this large black dog. So we call the rescue, it''s just hanging out outside, they told us to secure it, but her parents don''t have a yard in their townhouse, so we had to finagle it into the backyard and into the ''dog gate'', etc and wait for a few hours for the rescue to come. NO Collar by the way. Turns out that a neighbor''s garage door was slightly open during a party and the dog got out. But they acted SO WEIRD when they came to get the dog...it was kind of like ''yeah thats our dog, it got out'' and they took it home. We were both surprised that they weren''t happier. Then again she and I are total nuts about our dogs.
9.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
MMM, that is heartbreaking and I would be just as upset. While you couldn't make it better you did do what you could and that is wonderful. I'm sure you brought a little happiness to him and gave him a much needed meal. Its so sad when you see a helpless animal and feel as though you can't help when you want to help and its so frustrating when you contact those who can help but refuse. Its very unfair to those poor innocent lives. It breaks my heart to think that people just don't care as if the animal has no feelings. Anyone can look through these photos on here of our furry family members and see just how much spirit they have simply by looking into their eyes. I just can't understand how people can be so heartless.

I'm beginning to go on a tangent so I'll just stop it at that. I think I'm going to go and make sure I have a leash in my trunk just in case.

ETA: Mara, the last post about the dog ending up being the neighbor's dog made me think. It drives me nuts when they just act like its nothing. My neighbors have a beautiful Chocolate Lab that is pinned up in a 6x6 cage all year long. It never comes out of that cage even when its freezing outside. They just dump food over the side of the fence and put a hose through the chain link to give it water. When they have a bbq they cover half of it with a tarp to keep it from barking. I can't stand to see that poor dog like that and have even offered to buy her from them just so she can be somewhat "free". They refuse because their children love the dog. Love the dog? They don't give it the time of day! I'm getting all worked up now.
38.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 4:36:36 PM
Author:moremoremore
Well, first of all, big thanks to jennifer for helping me not lose my mind this morning.

I''m heartbroken about a dog I saw on the road in my neighborhood this morning on my way to work. I''m at a light and I look over at the divide (fairly busy side street in queens, ny, one way each way with a few feet of grass and trees in the middle) and there I see this face looking right at me.

It was a fluffy chow chow who looked like hell. Foaming at the mouth in heat stroke. I pull my car over and grab my sandwich and get him over to th side of the road. He was hesitant and so was I b/c chows kind of scare me)... Well, I didn''t know what to do.

I drove around the block, bought paper plates and a botttle of water. Drove back and found the chow on the other side of the street. Looking at a super sweeping the sidewalk. I put the plate down slowly and poured the water. He came over and took some sipps. I didn''t get TOO close b/c I don''t want to lose my hand LOL... He was a little jumpy and timid...

I felt really bad. People just walked right on by him. Nobody cared. I didn''t know what to do. I had to go to work and didn''t have a leash of anything. I called the local animal rescue but they couldn''t do anything b/c the dog wasn;t in one place- they don''t go out and look for a dog.

I just keep seeing his miserable face. It''s really heartbreaking.
39.gif
I spent about an hour online trying to see if anyone lost a chow. He had a black collar on. I''m just so sad.
7.gif

And don''t even get me started about the cat I saw when I was leaving for work a week ago. I tried to get close but that is impossible with a cat. His tail was half missing. I cried to work that day too. I just can''t handle all of the animals I see all over the place. People suck.
Not people like you!

You were very brave and very kind to stop and help. Lots of people think about it but not many actually do it.
17.gif
Every kind act helps whether it be big or small.

Heather

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What Heather said! Good job MMM--and your moniker suits you , as you help MMM!!
emdog.gif
emcat.gif
emlove.gif

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
D4ME...oh that would be horrible to be next door to that every day. Luckily for us, the people in these townhouses with us who have dogs are pretty nutso about them too and so they are treated really well and everyone coos over each others dogs..it''s very heartwarming. The other positive which I love in this park is that everyone''s dogs are so friendly because they are so well socialized. I love seeing that. Too many dogs are not socialized and they are totally missing out!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys...I think you guys would have done the same! I was definitely a little afraid. OK, maybe a lot afraid LOL...Especially of a chow. I'm not sure but I think they have a rep for being pretty aggressive. This guy was also foaming at the mouth...with the HORRIBLE HOT weather we've been havinh here I was 99% certain it was b/c of the heat...but still, I was scared. he did have a black collar on. I'm kicking myself for not looking for a # but again, I was scared at the same time. I was nearly attacked by a crazy stray dog in queens when I was in grad school out for a run. It was pretty upsetting...even though I grew up with a dog and have been around so many dogs...in the back of my mind I think they will snap (at least the ones I don't know well)...

Siggghhhh...thanks for helping guys! I do feel better. I drove around after work but he was gone.

It's sickening how many animals are out there . People just don't care. They are missing that same sensitivity chip Brad Pitt is missing? LOL....

But you know, I also drive by several homeless people on my way to work and I wonder...WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME for not caring as much ... why do I stop for animals and not people ???

I did go out and buy a leash and some kibble! So I'll get him next time :)

On a positive note, I was at a BBQ on sunday and the couple had such a sweet dog...a mix they adopted...and the guy's sister and husband came over with a puppy they adopted...a teeny tiny chocolate lab puppy. TALK ABOUT HEARTS MELTING! Even for this cat girl :) And the introduction of the two was a riot!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
hey- this leads me to a question. How many of you are die hard animal lovers....I am.....but I eat meat. Hmmm. I wonder if I knew the *truth* about how animals were treated for meat, and for science, and for cosmetics...would we all just have nervous breakdowns and wear pleather shoes and weave our own cloth for clothing LOL?. How do you guys feel about eating meat and still loving animals. I have to say I feel guilty. Conflicted and guilty.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
BTW, I just feel like saying this after looking through pages of lost animals listings...

IF YOU HAVE A CAT AND YOU LET THE CAT GO OUTSIDE, YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

Ahhhh, I feel better :)

People are like :"Boo hoo, I lost the pride of my life...cry cry... indoor/outdoor cat missing"
UMMM, YA THINK? It's called a car, a dog, a wild animal. Evil people. If I see cats outside I scoop em up! And come to think of it, even if it's got a tag from now on. I'm scopping em up and writing an anon. note saying that I took their cat and got him adopted to a GOOD home LOL

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
MMM, thank you for taking the time to help the dog. So sweet of you to stop and give the dog something to drink. It is amazing how many people would ignore such a situation. I hope that since he had a collar on he made his way back home or his owner found him. The world needs more people that care about animals, like you and fellow PSers. I always joke that I care more about animals than people...and I guess I drive by a lot of the homeless too, but I just feel that the animals are more helpless.

As for the eating meat, I''ve always had issues with it....even when I was young. My mom always tells me that when I was 3 or 4 I asked what chicken was made out of...and she had to explain to me that it was the animal, like a chicken you''d see at the zoo or a farm, and I stopped eating it for many months. Right now I eat very little meat, some chicken and some turkey, mostly because when I was a true vegitarian I got really sick and my doctor made me...when I''m at home I eat more chicken than I used to, couple times a week, when I lived on my own it was more like maybe once or twice a month. But then, I carry leather bags and wear leather shoes, so where do you draw the line? But I always felt better knowing that not eating cow was more environmentally sustainable, they are a major source of polution and depleting of the ozone, which was part of the reason that I cut that out of my diet completely for almost 10 years now.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
MMM you have such a good heart, we need more poeple like you in this world.
12.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Bless your heart MMM, you''re a sweetie!!
12.gif
I hope the dog is ok, maybe tomorrow you will see it again and get the number from the collar. Good luck
12.gif
12.gif
12.gif
12.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It saddens me to see homeless people begging for money...I guess I just feel like for the most part animals are helpless....they require humans to care for them, the domesticated breed of cat/dog that we have nowadays anyway for the most part. What IS sad is that alot of the homeless people are insane or have serious mental problems and I have read stories of people who are searching for an aunt or uncle or sister/brother etc and sometimes find them on the streets and half the time the people do not even recognize them. Such sad stories.

But anyway re: food and animals, I love meat...I could never be veggie even if I wanted to. I adore dogs, but that's about it for the serious animal love, I like some cats but I'm allergic to them (though they seem to like me, its like they know I'm allergic!!). We went to the fair this last weekend and we saw the pigs and the sheep etc and while they were cute and all, they were still just cute food.
9.gif
Give me a cuddly puppy in one hand and a burger in the other and I am happy.
1.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I feel so terrible for the homeless. And like Mara said, the homeless usually have mental issues. Once when I was visiting the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C., it seemed that there were homeless everywhere. It was really cold and rainy and I was mentally complaining to myself about how much I hated it but then realized how these people live in it. Talk about feeling like a heel. There I was wallowing in self pity and these people have to deal with it day in and day out.
At that time I lived in Charlotte right across the street from the UNCC campus and there are homeless in the area as well. That winter a bunch of people got together and we''d take soup and blankets to them. One was an artist and constantly wanted to give us something he painted. At the time we were only 18-20 and our thought process was that was how he made his money and we didn''t want to take whatever money he made off of it so we refused when he offered it. To this day I''m kicking myself for not accepting his offer. What beautiful work it was. I still look to see if he''s around the few times I do drive through that area but I''ve not seen him. He was one of the nicest people I ever met.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
you guys are the best...and what a nice story Diamonds4Me. Bless your heart! I could really do more for the people I see.

Anyhoo, you know what rules guys, driving to work this morning looking for the chow, and seeing flashing lights and a van with a Jack Russel Terrier puppy dead underneath it. Yeah, great start to another great day.
38.gif
At least the poor thing was dead and not suffering. What the hell is going on?

on a positive note, a 2.55 G Si1 RB that Mark was investigating is in.....hmmmmm.
41.gif
hehehe. Just figured I"d slide that in...probably not the most appropriate place .....

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 11:29:35 PM
Author: moremoremore
hey- this leads me to a question. How many of you are die hard animal lovers....I am.....but I eat meat. Hmmm. I wonder if I knew the *truth* about how animals were treated for meat, and for science, and for cosmetics...would we all just have nervous breakdowns and wear pleather shoes and weave our own cloth for clothing LOL?. How do you guys feel about eating meat and still loving animals. I have to say I feel guilty. Conflicted and guilty.
OMG-I think about this a lot...I have thought about being a vegetarian or at least not eating beef. I do not eat veal anymore... That is one step I have taken. I haven''t gone there yet but I think about it often. I used to say to myself that some animals are "companon" animals, which is true, but no animal really desreves to suffer needlessly.... you''re right-if you REALLY think about these things, you will go nuts. Some people are successful at finding a middle gorund--a friend of mine is a vegetarian but wears leather shoes--he admits he has to wear shoes and let''s face it, plastic shoes are gross (and unhealthy-feet can''t "breathe") and cloth isn''t going to work in NYC in December...
20.gif
2.gif

I often think about the American Indians...they killed the buffalo but respected these animals for the gifts the animals gave them of food, clothing, etc., and they wasted hardly anything.... It''s a shame our cultures doesn''t embrace more of these ideals...

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 11:16:54 PM
Thanks guys...I think you guys would have done the same! I was definitely a little afraid. OK, maybe a lot afraid LOL...Especially of a chow. I''m not sure but I think they have a rep for being pretty aggressive. This guy was also foaming at the mouth...with the HORRIBLE HOT weather we''ve been havinh here I was 99% certain it was b/c of the heat...but still, I was scared. he did have a black collar on. I''m kicking myself for not looking for a # but again, I was scared at the same time. I was nearly attacked by a crazy stray dog in queens when I was in grad school out for a run. It was pretty upsetting...even though I grew up with a dog and have been around so many dogs...in the back of my mind I think they will snap (at least the ones I don''t know well)...

Siggghhhh...thanks for helping guys! I do feel better. I drove around after work but he was gone.

It''s sickening how many animals are out there . People just don''t care. They are missing that same sensitivity chip Brad Pitt is missing? LOL....

But you know, I also drive by several homeless people on my way to work and I wonder...WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME for not caring as much ... why do I stop for animals and not people ???

I did go out and buy a leash and some kibble! So I''ll get him next time :)

On a positive note, I was at a BBQ on sunday and the couple had such a sweet dog...a mix they adopted...and the guy''s sister and husband came over with a puppy they adopted...a teeny tiny chocolate lab puppy. TALK ABOUT HEARTS MELTING! Even for this cat girl :) And the introduction of the two was a riot!
It saddens me to see homeless people...and it upsets, angers and saddens me to read/hear about all the horrible things that people do to kids...just unimagineable.

But I will admdit there is soemthing about animals, epsecially dogs...I can''t rationally explain it.... something "super innocent"... it''s hard to describe. Humans have the ability (or so we''re told) to be rational and overcome through mind and soul what animals cannot... I can''t describe it... But it tears right through my heart.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 11:16:54 PM
I was definitely a little afraid. OK, maybe a lot afraid LOL...Especially of a chow. I''m not sure but I think they have a rep for being pretty aggressive. This guy was also foaming at the mouth...with the HORRIBLE HOT weather we''ve been havinh here I was 99% certain it was b/c of the heat...but still, I was scared.
That''s what we do in such situations first.
Give a dog hand and voice (in calm but firm tone) command "Sit!".
If a dog responded we approach safely all the times.

Hope this helps.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is something about animals that is just so innocent. But I also feel badly for the homeless, just in a different way. One time we took the kids to NYC fo a weekend and it was winter time. It was downright freezing one day as we were walking aorund the city. We came upon a homeless man that was only wearing a trash bag!! We gave him some money and the kids to this day still talk about that poor man. So sad.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, there is no sign of the chow chow but on a positive note, I saw teenie on the Little Shelter website. He couldn't walk and needed surgery. I contributed a teenie 50 bucks and got a thank you email from Teenie himself and now, the good news!!! HE CAN WALK!!!

It's so true. You help the ones you can and it really makes you feel good!

What a cute little sucker!

teenie.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Not doing the limbo *yet*

walking.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh teenie is sooo cute, good for you MMM. You have such a kind and warm heart. You are truly a very giving person.
12.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Keep going, MMM--every bit adds up and look at the dalring you helped give a new lease on life. I am sure he will be scooped up by a nice family and live a long and happy life.
emlove.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results