shape
carat
color
clarity

So many possibilites. Can you help me figure out which one to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so this is long. SORRY.

I have a mandarine citrine (crappy camera phone pic included), the color is to die for, the cut is great for a native cut... and it only has a tiny bit of extinction. It's really been dying for a setting. So I posted for settine ideas, and you all led me to etsy.

1229082335[1].jpg

SO... I have three two etsy jewelers I'm talking to. And one that I am leaning heavily toward.

Both of them work in yellow gold. I know that they CAN work in white gold, but it's not their preferred metal.

One of them is Maddy, who does the beautiful bezel set rings seen below.

The end result would be a hammered gold bezel ring. Which would be lovely. But I'm not sure it's me. I love the IDEA of it, but the reality of it... I'm afraid it would sit in my jewelry box instead of on my finger. And I do NOT want that. I thought about asking her to work with white gold cause I know I would wear it more. But I really only like that hammered finish in yellow gold.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5685587&order=&section_id=5536449&page=1

The other is a designer I felt an INSTANT connection with. Her name is Sally. She's been amazing and I REALLY want to work with her. She does everything... pendants, rings, earrings. And her work is just wonderful with a lot of attention to details and finish.

Everything is handmade nothing is cast, and her work has a lot of personality (IMO). The idea I am working on with her is a two stone pendant. With my mandarine citrine as the bottom drop, and a round on top of it in a honey citring (which she is going to source for me). She works in white metal on request, but her love and strongest inclination is to work with 18K yellow gold. I think I'd wear a yellow gold pendant more than I would a yellow gold ring. And I can really see this being stunning.

BUT I saw this today that Cin posted and I just... fell in love. I KNOW I would get wear out of this. But getting it done would mean saving up a lot more money, and postponing or forgetting about other projects, which I don't want to do. And honestly, I would want a 'nicer' stone for this type of project... something really perfectly cut.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-bezel-ring.102625/

Alternately I could get a necklace like this done by the Sally in white gold. But I almost think it would be a waste of her creativity and skill to have something so simple done. And yet... I love this pendant and would wear it all the time if it was in white gold. And in yellow gold, I'd still wear it quite a bit.

tiffnecklace111.jpg

SO I guess... what would you chose? Right now... I'm in inclined to ask for something similar to the Tiffany Pendant (right above) but with some details that add personality. But should I go with white gold, or yellow? I do think the stones I'm working with would look AMAZING in yellow gold, they would work in white gold too.. and I think I'd wear it more.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, do you only ever white gold, is that your dilemma?
Personally, I have fallen back in love with YG and am buying everything in it, so my opinion may not be much help to you, lol..
What about two tone? I just recently had a diamond pendant made in two tone and it worked great imo.

Do you have a link to Sally's shop so I can compare her work to Maddy's etc?
I'm pretty sure I have seen quite a bit of Maddy's work in WG, no? Have you tried on any bezel rings in the shops?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Arj, here's Sally's site:

http://www.namchaijewels.com/main.html she's out of Thialand, but is originally American, and she will work with US customers, and she just rocks.

I wear yellow gold, but not as frequently as white metals. I hadn't considered two tone.
2.gif
As the the bezeled rings question, yes I have tried on similar hammered gold bezel rings and I love them... but I think I love them for other people more, and the 'idea' of them for myself. I'm not a very trendy or funky person at all. I often want to be, but find myself unable to do it. LOL.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone Gypsy!

I''ve chatted with Sally, and she''s lovely. I hope to work with her in the future.

I think the pendant is a great idea. It''s simple--which I love--and her craftsmanship will still show. She could also make you a gorgeous yellow gold ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 12:58:19 AM
Author: coatimundi
Beautiful stone Gypsy!

I've chatted with Sally, and she's lovely. I hope to work with her in the future.

I think the pendant is a great idea. It's simple--which I love--and her craftsmanship will still show. She could also make you a gorgeous yellow gold ring.
Hi Coati... Yeah, the stone has slowly worked its way into my heart (it was one of only two gemstone survivors after my robbery, so it makes it more special) you have? Isn't she just amazing? I just WANT something made by her, you know? I think she's just so incredible that it would make the piece even more special, to know that someone who clearly loves her work so much crafted it with care.

I haven't really talked to Maddy since I started talking to Sally because well... Sally just rocks.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 1:00:19 AM
Author: Gypsy

Hi Coati... you have? Isn''t she just amazing? I just WANT something made by her, you know? I think she''s just so incredible that it would make the piece even more special, to know that someone who clearly loves her work so much crafted it with care.

I haven''t really talked to Maddy since I started talking to Sally because well... Sally just rocks.

She really loves what she does, and I love that her pieces are handmade! Your piece will be one of a kind--how great is that?
1.gif
She''s so lovely--I really want her to set a heliodor of mine. I''m excited about your project!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me too.
2.gif
9.gif
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 12:48:37 AM
Hi Arj, here''s Sally''s site:

http://www.namchaijewels.com/main.html she''s out of Thialand, but is originally American, and she will work with US customers, and she just rocks.

I wear yellow gold, but not as frequently as white metals. I hadn''t considered two tone.
2.gif
As the the bezeled rings question, yes I have tried on similar hammered gold bezel rings and I love them... but I think I love them for other people more, and the ''idea'' of them for myself. I''m not a very trendy or funky person at all. I often want to be, but find myself unable to do it. LOL.
Hey Gypsy,
Oh she has heart of water on etsy right?! And also an ebay store - I love her!

I''ve actually been trying to think of what kind of stone I can buy to have set in one of her bezel or lotus rings! Some of it also reminds me of James Meyer''s work, right?

I hear what you''re saying about loving things more for others than yourself - but I think these pieces are a lil different. They are bold and eye-catching, but also elegant and feminine, kwim? Its awesome to hear how into her work she is.
I''m sure you can pull it off.

I also love her pendants, I don''t think you can go wrong, especially if you take a classic design like above and have her add some gold beading or other touches.

Well, you''ve done it to me now - I was all decided on a set of gem stackers, and now I want a big bold ring from Sally! lol..
11.gif
40.gif
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
She's really cool, and flexible and since you're in love with yellow gold... I'd say it's a match. I LOVE her lotus setting. I'm definitely going to be getting one of those puppies. LOL. Similar to James Meyer, certainly. God I want one of his rings.

But for the current project, I emailed her tonight attaching a couple of tiffany pendant ideas and asking her thoughts on adding some of her personal touches to it and making it a Sally peice. I think that's the route I'm going. It feels right. I don't want a Tiffany piece, I want a Sally piece, the Tiffany pics are just... ways to express my ideas. She's got some beautiful rings too, if I had another mandarine citrine I'd do a set, maybe a ring or some drop earrings. I'd love earrings. I'm actually playing with the idea of asking her if she can find a couple of mandarine citrines the same hue and saturation as mine so that I might get a set. I'm more and more tempted by that daily. LOL. It's a disease.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 4:48:51 AM
She's really cool, and flexible and since you're in love with yellow gold... I'd say it's a match. I LOVE her lotus setting. I'm definitely going to be getting one of those puppies. LOL. Similar to James Meyer, certainly. God I want one of his rings.

But for the current project, I emailed her tonight attaching a couple of tiffany pendant ideas and asking her thoughts on adding some of her personal touches to it and making it a Sally peice. I think that's the route I'm going. It feels right. I don't want a Tiffany piece, I want a Sally piece, the Tiffany pics are just... ways to express my ideas. She's got some beautiful rings too, if I had another mandarine citrine I'd do a set, maybe a ring or some drop earrings. I'd love earrings. I'm actually playing with the idea of asking her if she can find a couple of mandarine citrines the same hue and saturation as mine so that I might get a set. I'm more and more tempted by that daily. LOL. It's a disease.
It certainly is!
I have expended my budget at the moment for diamonds..but I am slowly discovering the incredible world of coloured stones, and now I am in trouble..
40.gif

There have been some rings around here lately that have definately made me swoon
3.gif

I really like your ideas..I think going with a classic pendant design and adding a "sally twist" will work out great.
Do you think you'll go with YG?

I really like her Quora and Mistral ring - as soon as I can find a suitable gem, I'm getting me one of them babies - ooohh, you guys are bad!!
41.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I left the metal issue open. I told her that I'm torn because I do feel I would wear white metal more... but that I love the 18K yellow gold she works in as well, and know the stones I've chosen lend themselves naturally to yellow metal. So I think I'll just talk to her about it. We'll see what I end up with. The Quora is lovely. The ring especially is one I have my eye on. I was leaning toward (before I re-thought it tonight) a two stone pendant influenced by the Quora design, with twisted wire and prongs. SO basicially except for the two stone thing, I did a complete 180. For this project. I have a feeling this is gonna be a multiple project relationship.
6.gif

ETA: She does prefer to source gemstones for you, if you trust her to. And has cutter and gem dealer contacts. She's sourcing any of the additional gems my pendant will need for me. Color and cut being the most imporant things. So you may not HAVE to find the right gemstone... you might be able to ask her what's caught her eye that she can suggest.
31.gif
I'm enabling. I know. I'm bad.

I do need a diamond project. For 2010 though. Have to save up.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh, good to know about her gem contacts, thankyou - that makes sense I guess.
You said she''s based in THI, do you think she embraces the precision cutting that is favoured here..?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No clue. LOL. I'm not even sure what that is myself. I've had to avoid this board in light of saving for the wedding (Wedding is over now baby! Bring it on!) ... so I'm not as educated about colored stones as I should be. Want to tell me about it? I'd love to learn.
2.gif

ETA: Googled it and it seems to be computer cutting of gemstones. I don't think that's what Sally prefers, but you'd have to ask her. She mentions on her site that she supports the use of local artists, including cutters that she prefers, and since all her pieces are handmade, I'm assuming that she would prefer the stones she sources to be hand cut as well. But you'd have to ask her.

OH... nevermind. I re-read what you posted. Precision cutting favored HERE (not there). No clue. Sorry.
21.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 5:25:01 AM
No clue. LOL. I'm not even sure what that is myself. I've had to avoid this board in light of saving for the wedding (Wedding is over now baby! Bring it on!) ... so I'm not as educated about colored stones as I should be. Want to tell me about it? I'd love to learn.
2.gif

ETA: Googled it and it seems to be computer cutting of gemstones. I don't think that's what Sally prefers, but you'd have to ask her. She mentions on her site that she supports the use of local artists, including cutters that she prefers, and since all her pieces are handmade, I'm assuming that she would prefer the stones she sources to be hand cut as well. But you'd have to ask her.

OH... nevermind. I re-read what you posted. Precision cutting favored HERE (not there). No clue. Sorry.
21.gif
hey again gypsy, my apologies I should've been more descriptive - I meant the American precision cutting that is generally favoured around PS, vs "native" cutting from countries such as Thailand etc.

However, I will take this chance to say I know next to nothing about coloured stones!

I think you've answered my question anyway..oh and I'm pretty sure the US cutters do it all by hand aswell, but hey I'm new to this too !
5.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 7:08:05 AM
Author: arjunajane

No clue. LOL. I''m not even sure what that is myself. I''ve had to avoid this board in light of saving for the wedding (Wedding is over now baby! Bring it on!) ... so I''m not as educated about colored stones as I should be. Want to tell me about it? I''d love to learn.
2.gif

ETA: Googled it and it seems to be computer cutting of gemstones. I don''t think that''s what Sally prefers, but you''d have to ask her. She mentions on her site that she supports the use of local artists, including cutters that she prefers, and since all her pieces are handmade, I''m assuming that she would prefer the stones she sources to be hand cut as well. But you''d have to ask her.

21.gif
hey again gypsy, my apologies I should''ve been more descriptive - I meant the American precision cutting that is generally favoured around PS, vs ''native'' cutting from countries such as Thailand etc.

However, I will take this chance to say I know next to nothing about coloured stones!

I think you''ve answered my question anyway..oh and I''m pretty sure the US cutters do it all by hand aswell, but hey I''m new to this too !
5.gif
''Generally'' being the important word there. I for one, and I know there are several others are not ''Precision Cut'' fans. I like good quality traditional cuts.

There is a huge difference in the machinery used by cutters in the US (especially those doing very technical cuts) - the stone is held in a dop on the machine and carefully calibrated to precise angles. In some countries cutters are still using a bowstring to turn the wheel and hold the stone in either their fingers or a stick. Then there is the whole in between range.

I watched some cutters at work in several different cutting houses in Sri Lanka and was very impressed by exactly what some of them could do.

Please use the term ''poorly cut'' not ''native cut'' to describe poor cutting - the two terms are NOT the same thing.

Pandora steps of soapbox... again....
1.gif

Gypsy, that citrine looks gorgeous - look forward to seeing it set.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 7:21:46 AM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 1/4/2009 7:08:05 AM
Author: arjunajane

2.gif

21.gif
hey again gypsy, my apologies I should've been more descriptive - I meant the American precision cutting that is generally favoured around PS, vs 'native' cutting from countries such as Thailand etc.

I think you've answered my question anyway..oh and I'm pretty sure the US cutters do it all by hand aswell, but hey I'm new to this too !
5.gif
'Generally' being the important word there. I for one, and I know there are several others are not 'Precision Cut' fans. I like good quality traditional cuts.

There is a huge difference in the machinery used by cutters in the US (especially those doing very technical cuts) - the stone is held in a dop on the machine and carefully calibrated to precise angles. In some countries cutters are still using a bowstring to turn the wheel and hold the stone in either their fingers or a stick. Then there is the whole in between range.

I watched some cutters at work in several different cutting houses in Sri Lanka and was very impressed by exactly what some of them could do.

Please use the term 'poorly cut' not 'native cut' to describe poor cutting - the two terms are NOT the same thing.

Pandora steps of soapbox... again....
1.gif

Gypsy, that citrine looks gorgeous - look forward to seeing it set.
Hi Pandora,
thankyou for the explanation. I know a lil of this issue from reading here, but as I mentioned I am a newbie to coloured stones, so the generalization was intentional.

Oh, and in this case I did actually mean native when I said it - as in, does the jeweller only buy stones cut in her native Thailand, or is she also open to buying US precision cut stones..I apologize if this was not more clear. I do appreciate the difference between native cut and poor cut
5.gif

Either way, cheers for the clarification !
1.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Pandora on the term "native cut."

I like Sally's metal work (once you go handmade--you never go back!), but I'm not too keen on the quality of her stones(outside of cutting--overall color quality etc.). I think it's a great idea to source your own, and have her set them. She was very enthusiastic about my heliodor--she's very cool.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results