shape
carat
color
clarity

So it is true what they say....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tresellas

Rough_Rock
After lurking around for a few weeks I wasn't sure I bought into all the hype on here and DT.com about these "small-time" vendors, but I have to say I am a convert now. After finding the exact diamond we wanted to purchase my boyfriend and I decided to purchase from diamond.com over dirtcheap, abazias or whiteflash. All four had the same diamond, but I think I fell into that trap of flashy advertising.

To make a long story short, diamond.com has changed the price twice since the 26th. So I called because I had printed up the specs and price a few days ago (Price went from 3400 to 3690!) and the guy on the phone was nice at first, but after I spent an hour scanning the stupid things so he could see the original price and so it was readable he does not even respond to my emails or questions. And no one answered his extension even though he was supposed to be there until 10pm EST. No more diamond.com for me thank you very much, I am going to take Mara's advice and find a place that treats me like a human being!

So, long story short, you guys are a great resource and I am glad to have found you. Now would someone recommend which of the three other sites I listed I should use. And where should I go about looking for a setting?

One other thing, I am from Maryland so if we ordered from Dirt Cheap could we have it shipped to family in New Jersey to avoid sales tax or will it be based on where the bank account we are using is located?

Thanks in advance for you help! :)

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Tresalles!
wavey.gif
Welcome to the Forum!

I don't know about the sales tax issue, but I definitely would not waste my time with a vendor who won't respond to emails/phone calls/faxes.

Since you are considering a multi-listed diamond, the vendors will compete on pricing. All 3 are very reputable vendors also. But don't just go for a glitzy website. I recommend you check out the return/refund and life-time upgrade policies of the remaining vendors. See who's gonna offer you the best deal over the long haul. Will they buy it back from you, give you 100% credit on an upgrade, all the brass tacks.

Good luck with your purchase!
1.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI sorry to hear of your mishap...bummer

So have heard good things about some of the vendors you listed...

I have been dealing with Goodoldgold.com in Long Island...their service is excellent...and their website is helpful....They are on the net and they also havre a store so they do have 'real' inventory...

Worth an e-mail to see what they have to offer...they have a good upgrade/return policy...as well

Worht a trip if you have the time....

Hope this helps...

diane

You can search for other GOG (goodoldgold) threads to get more info...

Best of luck in your search

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and to look at some setting look at the thread that is titled information on mountins...NATE has made a great presentation it is in his posting...click on the Here...sorry I am not tooo skilled at putting inthe links

any Vendor chose should be able to make/get those setting/mountings...if you like any of them

Hope this helps

di

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were working with DirtCheapDiamonds while we were looking and they were very helpful--but in the end not able to get us closeups of the stone or anything like that, which kind of bothered us. But very friendly and quick to respond. I also was working with I believe Denise over at DiamondWholesale.cc (which is an arm of WhiteFlash..unbenownst to me at the time) and they were great as well, she even called me a few times to find out if I needed more info etc.

So both worked well for me, but now that I know more, I just lean more towards WhiteFlash in general because I have corresponded with Leslie and I know their service is amazing for the most part. They really try to give you the personal touch IMO from the correspondence I have had in the past.

But both are great companies and highly reputed on the forums. Abazias I don't know too much about.

Good luck and congrats on pushing back onto Diamond.Com for crappy service. They may be a big name like BlueNile, but that doesn't mean a thing except that they have a healthy advertising budget and good brand marketing people.

I even read an article in the WSJ about two years ago before the bubble burst, when they did some undercover research on some of the big dogs like BN, Ashford, Mondera and Diamond.Com and many of them came up with less than stellar marks on stone quality, return policies and the like.

1.gif

tresellas

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great advice... I am going to look into some things over the next few days and I will keep you posted with our decision.

Thanks again! You all have been very helpful. :)

urbasic

Rough_Rock
I would give him your price. There is always room to move a little on the price. Dont get too emotionally attached to this diamond, you will find another if you have to.

I just wouldnt want to remember a big hassle everytime I looked at it. I hope things work out for you.

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Oh - and as far as the "ship to" address goes -

A lot of places, for security purposes, will only ship to an address listed on your credit card.

You can call your credit card people and add a 'ship to' address. This address is then on file so the diamond people can verify it as a legit address. (this way my diamond delivers to my work instead of my house)

Of course if you pay by bank wire or cash they will ship it anywhere you want!

-Adrienne

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/29/2003 10:20:59 PM tresellas wrote:

One other thing, I am from Maryland so if we ordered from Dirt Cheap could we have it shipped to family in New Jersey to avoid sales tax or will it be based on where the bank account we are using is located?

Thanks in advance for you help! :)

----------------

Many people have been very pleased w/ DCD. I think it is an advantage that you will be able to actually view the diamond at DCD office - even if you had to pay the sales tax.

Good luck.

toomanyquestions

Rough_Rock
Hello -
I am from MD as well, and we ordered from Abazias. Oscar at Abazias was extremely friendly and helpful, and the prices he quoted were the prices paid (for both the stone and the setting).
We were going to go with DCD because the owner will get diamonds you request and meet with you to show them to you (without you having to pay up front), but, he had some kind of family emergency when we were looking, not to mention we wanted to save taxes. But, if you think you may ever want to "trade up", maybe paying taxes is worth it (I believe DCD will trade up, Abazias will not - I knew I would not want to trade up, since it is an engagement ring and has sentimental value.
My suggestion is 1) compare prices and shop policies; 2) If the shop with the better policy is more expensive, it won't hurt to ask for a price match - all they can do is say no (and is understandable because profit margins are slim).
Good Luck!

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
someone from the US government should read this board ....

all those people trying not to pay sale taxes!!!!!!!!

This was my little devilish statement for today.

Trichrome.

9.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Well, it is common not to pay sales tax if you are not residing in the state where you are buying from. But you have to pay sales tax if the store you are buying from does business or have a physical store in your own state.

I could never understand why Columbia House charges sales tax in all states (almost except for states w/ no sales tax) when they are in Indiana. Gateway charges sales tax now since they have a lot of stores in a lot of states now eventhough when you buy the computers, they are shipped from the factory and not from the individual stores.

In MI, however, when you file your state income tax, it does ask you if you bought something out of state and if you paid sales tax. If you didn't you are suppose to fill up another schedule and state what you bought and how much sales tax you owe.

I wonder how many people actually fessed up to this

Blessed

Rough_Rock
Hi. Have you contacted Martin Sheffield at USA Certed Diamonds? He's quick to respond--usually with a phone call--and goes out of his way to make sure you're satisfied. Blessings! Happy hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results