shape
carat
color
clarity

So I went to get 2 stones set today...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My jewlery store had some guy come in to make custom pieces on the spot (well within the days time frame). I was super excited to get my pink diamond, and my cushion cuprian set. I brought a couple other stones I want to get set (possably) as well.

So, I pull out my baggie with my gem jars in it, and the first thing the guy says is "Oh, someone likes to shop for stones on TV."....
*insert buzzing sound here*

Yeah...I told him I do NOT buy my stones on TV thank you. I saw a ring I wanted while I was waiting, so I brushed his comment away for the moment and asked to see it. It was a false tension setting (you know not real tension, had the bar holding the 2 pieces together). Cute, just plain white gold with, maybe 2 grams. He wanted 1000$ for it.
*Insert buzz again*

After a few min trying to haggle him down and him not budging and telling me "You can come back anytime when you have the means to set it" and being just over all snobby I told him (and rather loudly so the couple next to me could hear) "I am not going to pay $1000 for a simple gold setting I can pick up for 85$. I HAVE the means to set it, just not going to pay that much for a little piece of gold!". I chatted with the normal sales man there and he couldnt believe the 'TV gems' comment either. He has seen many of my stones and is embarrased by what was said.

Needless to say I didnt set my stones. I am super bummed cause I was looking forward to it.
I read the post someone made about their stones being called "cruseship crap" at their store. I instantly remembered that post when I was talking to this man. What the heck is it with these guys thinking everyone elses stones were crap....and then being VERBAL about it to the buyer!!!

exturkconner

Rough_Rock
I''ve actually had alot of experiences like this but more in collectible feilds. Dealers who have to wheel and deal to make a coin tend to get that smarmy snarky jerk mentality. They''ll insult customers who just gave them business. They''ll riducule people who just gave them an excellent deal because they had to sell items and needed money. They will even insult customer who buy the dealers over priced merchandise. I haven''t been around gems enough to see it myself.

But give that true gem lovers are a somewhat tight knit collector style community I am not suprised people like this exist in the "hobby" they do in most others. I collect game worn hockey jerseys and that is a very tight knit small collector circle and it''s somewhat cut throat and you get alot of that "elitest" "Blublood" sort of feeling from alot of the older more established folks.

m00sie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Geez, what a twit! Seriously, if you don''t have anything nice to say then you should keep your mouth shut.

I''m glad you are not giving him any of your business, you (and your stones) deserve much better. I hope you find someone nicer to set them for you :)

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
that is so annoying! Hope you can find another jeweler! (or was the rude guy just there for the day...?)

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, the jerk was just there for the day. He goes in a few times a year to sell is over priced diamonds and settings. I am a regular at this store and I will be talking with the manager next time I go in about him. I didnt want to while I was there and make a scene. When I worked at a jewelry store I NEVER said anything but nice things about someones piece, even if it was ugly or cheap. I dont know why some of these guys think they have the right to insult...expecially a regular.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
The retail jewelry industry is really hurting these days. They''ve lost a lot of business to online dealers and the TV shopping networks. According to one industry report I read recently, more than 750 retail jewelry stores in the US went out of business in 2009. Zales, the largest chain store, is in danger of bankruptcy, and last week most of their management team was forced out. It''s rubbing salt in the wounds when you tell them you can buy their $1000 ring for $85. Don''t be surprised if they get a little defensive ...

empress

Shiny_Rock
Maybe it''s more about employees not being trained properly.

Like in the department store or a restaurant. Many people now think that showing up is their job - rather than customer service.

M 2cents....

28.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I hate it when people are like that. There is no need for it. He obviously doens't have that little filter between his brain and his mouth that stops him saying what he is thinking. He must think he is THE expert on stones.
38.gif

Pompous! Thats the word I was looking for. Full of his own self importance. Doesn't think its possible for a mere mortal to be educated enough to buy gemstones without his help!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/16/2010 8:29:27 PM
Author: morecarats
The retail jewelry industry is really hurting these days. They''ve lost a lot of business to online dealers and the TV shopping networks. According to one industry report I read recently, more than 750 retail jewelry stores in the US went out of business in 2009. Zales, the largest chain store, is in danger of bankruptcy, and last week most of their management team was forced out. It''s rubbing salt in the wounds when you tell them you can buy their $1000 ring for $85. Don''t be surprised if they get a little defensive ...
I said that AFTER he told me to come back after I have ''means'' to set my stones, and said I bought them off TV.
He insulted me, so I turned around and told him his jewelry was over priced. He wasnt even the stores jewler, but a guest jewler selling ''exclusive'' pieces for the day.
I shop at this jewler regularly, and like I said, the regular workers were shocked at how he treated their valued customer.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/16/2010 9:29:50 PM
Author: Maisie
Ugh, I hate it when people are like that. There is no need for it. He obviously doens''t have that little filter between his brain and his mouth that stops him saying what he is thinking. He must think he is THE expert on stones.
38.gif

Pompous! Thats the word I was looking for. Full of his own self importance. Doesn''t think its possible for a mere mortal to be educated enough to buy gemstones without his help!
No kidding. I made it a point to bring up I wanted to set one of my cuprian paraiba tourmalines (I had all 5 with me) that you CANNOT find on TV. I also had my pink diamond and asked him if he had any pink diamonds for sale (for someone who can judge my stones, he must have had something better). He didnt.

Hmm, for someone who is quick to judge my oh so common ''TV stones'' all he had was white diamonds...because we know how hard those are to find on TV.

Speaking of Zales, I went there after to put money on my ruby/diamond flower ring and was talking with the girl I work with there, and they had a simmilar ''event'' and their jewler that visited was a jerk to customers too. No wonder the industry is suffering....who wants to hand money to people who feel as if they have the right to spit in your face.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How rude!
14.gif

I don''t know how I''d have reacted to that! Probably just have stood there gaping
23.gif
20.gif
What a great way to turn off business!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a rude jerk he turned out to be. I like to go look at those shows when they are in town but their settings and gemstones are way over priced.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results