shape
carat
color
clarity

So, I know a lot of you aren't big on ebay....

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
But I've had great luck. Well, except when some textbooks I sold got lost in the mail, but that's a story for another day.

Anyway, I think I've found a pair of earrings I really like. I've made an offer, and the seller countered just a little higher than that, but still lower than the buy it now. The seller has stellar feedback, and regularly sells higher-end items like diamond jewelry.

Any quick opinions? I'm not a huge stickler for clarity. Honestly, I kind of like being able to see a little tiny something in there. It kind of gives me comfort to know that my diamonds are unique and quirky, just like me. Now, I'm not saying I like frozen spit, but you get my idea. How much would you pay for a pair of earrings like this?

So, here are the details. The studs are 1.5 ctw, SI2 clarity, and H-I color. Stones are 5.87mm in diameter. Finally, here's a picture!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I've not had any personal issues with purchasing on ebay. I've gotten some fantastic deals, especially on watches. But, I never buy from a vendor without at least a 98% rating, and I always pay by credit card through Paypal only.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, sorry. Technical difficulties. HERE are the earrings.

Earrings.jpg

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I totally agree Holly. I tend to do about the same, and then read all the negatives to see what it's all about. For example, I have one negative feedback because a book I sent out was lost by the post office. All that arrived was the address label. I refunded the buyer's money, and still got a negative, even though I did everything I was supposed to do.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
They look great...ear shots!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
texaskj|1315016946|3008786 said:
Really check out your seller's feedback on www.toolhaus.org

What is this site? I've never seen it before. Can it tell me anything different than what eBay will show me?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
It can show you feedback you can't see on Ebay. Things that have been removed and older feedback.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd do it. As long as there is a reasonable return policy I don't see why not. The seller has good feedback and you like the item, the pic looks like the item has potential. I do get my jewelry items that I buy second hand appraised pretty much the day I get them though.

I like ebay. What I don't like is people who don't know what they are doing or what a 'good deal' really is going on ebay and getting fleeced. It sounds like you have your eyes open though, so that's not an issue.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Bah. I don't know what to do. I really want the earrings, but I'm such a cheapskate :/ I have about 10 hours to decide (the item ends then) and I have to be up super early tomorrow anyway. I think I'll sleep on it, and decide in the morning.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I also look carefully at any negative feedback, just to see who said what and how it was resolved.

I have never bought from anyone outside the U.S., where I live. Just gives me an extra measure of security that there will be no shipping problems, no customs issues, etc.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I sell on ebay pretty regularly (not jewelry) and I think a lot of trustworthy non-professional sellers do. Because what else are you going to do with your stuff? I have a ton of unwanted STUFF, because I tend to collect things, buy a ton, and then lose interest. Then I get interested in some other collection, and there's no room for the new stuff, so I have to sell the old stuff. What are the options?

Yard sale= pennies on the dollar

Consignment store=sits forever in hopes that someone buys it and you only get half of the price. Plus, with something breakable I worry about who's responsible if it's broken or chipped by a customer.

Ad in the paper=strangers and whackos in your house

Craigslist=see above

So, ebay is a good bet:

Ebay= quick sale/payment, some scammers, but with millions of transactions per day, it happens. Just be careful, check feedback, and use a skeptical eye. Also, check into the paypal/ebay protection for anything over $100. Never pay or communicate outside of paypal (no wire transfers, personal checks, NOTHING!) or ebay. Keep all your records and emails.

Do all that, then you should be fine. And they're lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results