shape
carat
color
clarity

So I just won my first South Sea Pearl....How did I do?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally got one! YAY!! I just have no idea what to do next!

Specimen: South Sea Cultured Pearl.
Shape: Baroque.
Main Color: Deep Golden.
Size: 14.5mm (height) x 11.7mm (diameter).
Luster: Very High LUSTER.
Nacre: Thicker NACRE
Surface: Some minor natural flaws (see images for detail).
Condition: Un-Drilled.
Pearl Origin: Australia. Guaranteed natural color!!!

Its not in hand yet, but I do have a question: So experts, would the pearl need to be drilled to make a pendant or no?

-A

bigpearl.JPG

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ohh it's CUTE! Is it weird that this is the first thing I thought of?
sn_1.jpg

Okay, probably. Anyway.. depending on what look you're going for I'm wondering if instead of drilling you could get some neat metalwork around that top ridge to do the job - maybe a super thin pave cuff or ribbon or something..?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1305439950|2922184 said:
ohh it's CUTE! Is it weird that this is the first thing I thought of?
sn_1.jpg

Okay, probably. Anyway.. depending on what look you're going for I'm wondering if instead of drilling you could get some neat metalwork around that top ridge to do the job - maybe a super thin pave cuff or ribbon or something..?

:lol: Yeah its got a bit of a snowman thing going on. I kept losing the auction on all the really round ones. That sounds like a cool idea, thanks.

-A

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Usually to set as a pendant in a normal pearl bail you'll need to have the pearl top drilled. Or if you want to set it with a head pin you can have it fully drilled. Alternatively, you can wire wrap the pearl. Can you ask the vendor if they'll be able to drill it for you?

It's really cute and the colour is a really nice golden, can't really tell the luster from the photo.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I really really like it! It's kind of funky!

If you don't mind telling, I'd love to here where you got it from!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lovinggems and erinl. I got the pearl from pearl_society. I did ask if they drill and they said there was a price to do so (no biggie to me) So I asked for a half drill since I really think that in my case, it will likely be a pendant. I just now have to decide how to top it off. They said 2-4 weeks for delivery, so it'll be waiting for me when I am back from my trip. I have a dremel but have to admit, I kinda didn't want to go there...lol

I'm looking on etsy to see if there's anyone out there who will work with pearls in particular.

-A

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking it was pearl society. I have gotten several pearls from them, and I love the unique shapes and that they distinctly look like pearls, and aren't too perfect.

I recently got a pair of white South Sea pearl drops and had my local jeweler half drill them and put in small 14k white gold caps with a tiny ring on top. Then they can be hung from any sort of bale that I decide, and I'm still considering how I want mine mounted. I'm thinking that you can put a tiny 14k yellow gold cap on your new pearl. In any case, for pearls, like for colored gemstones, sometimes when you see it, it kind of tells you what it should be.

Nice choice, and I hope you love the golden color. I think it is enchanting, and I love the paler ring around the top of yours. I think that when you get it, you will find it looks lovely. I'm a big circle pearl fan.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Flygirl, those are some great suggestions. I can't seem to find anyone on etsy without sending it out of the country again, so likely will go local for this. they may be able to come up with some fun ideas for it. I'm leaning toward going with an aquatic pearl topper, so it likely will have to be custom (darnit!!)

Pearl_Society's store is kind of addictive in a bad way :bigsmile:

I just won another, a 16mm tahitian pearl this time. I'm thinking that may be pretty cool for my husband as its kind of dark with a greenish ring around it (it may be my one chance to get him to wear pearls!!!) For him though, it would have to be a leather cord with maybe some fine silver findings because otherwise he wouldn't even entertain the thought of wearing such a thing. We've got some beading supply stores near us so I'll go and poke around to see what they have.

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the 16mm tahitian

also wondered if anyone has purchased from es_store and if so, what they thought of them?

-A

16mmtahitianpearl.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results