shape
carat
color
clarity

So, I caught some fire....ORANGE fire...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI, orange is my least favorite color. This will get long...Skip towards the end if you don't want the full story!

For years, my mom had taken an opportunity here and there to remind my dad that she didn't get an engagement ring because they were very poor when they got married. Since getting married, my dad had done very well for himself, and yet, my mom still had received no diamonds. In 2001, my mom had just been told she was in remission from breast cancer, and we had all had a really hard year. I had bought this horrible CZ solitaire to be silly, and shown it to my mom. She mentioned not having a diamond from my dad, and how she really wanted one. So I went to my dad and likely said something similar to the following, "Dude, you've been married for 27 years. Your anniversary is in a month, just get her a damn diamond already."

And amazingly enough, he did. He and I went to various local stores and learned about diamonds. When he heard that a square was called a princess cut, he jumped on that idea. So we bought her a 1.5ct princess cut diamond. Since picking out the diamond was so stressful, when it came time to pick out the setting, we just told the lady to put it in something yellow gold - my mom always wore YG. So she put it in a Jabel 18kt YG setting.

I wouldn't find out until later that the reason my mom only wore yg was because no one had ever bought her any other color metal, but turned out she really liked white metals too.

My mom passed away in December 2006 when her cancer came out of remission. I expected my dad to give me her ring sometime after she passed away, but no, he waited until we moved to California last year. She had told him to give me the ring "When I grew up."

Long story short, I found a preowned platinum setting for the diamond, and had it reset, figuring that eventually I would use the original yg setting for something else. I felt like the diamond should have had a home like that from the very beginning, instead of us letting the salesgirl pick something out for her.

So, for the past year, I've kept an eye out for something to fit in the YG. If you've ever looked, princess cut stones are hard to find in colored stones. So I started playing with the idea of changing out the head, and getting another shape entirely. I wanted something that would really go well with the YG.

Plus, then, I saw miraclesrule's spess ring, and couldn't keep my eyes off of it.

And then I was offered a spess from a friend...

Cut by Gene Flanigan at Precisiongems.com

Gem 1221 - Spessartite Garnet - 2.50 ct. Here's a 8 mm round spessartite from Loliondo Tanzania. As with all these, there are some bubbles and inclusions, but the bright color more than makes up. One darker inclusion in the table that is eye visible.

Color: 9/10
Clarity: 7/10
Brilliance: 5/5
TQR: 8.7

And now pictures. There will be a lot of them.

img_9309.jpg

mom_diamond2.jpg

mr_0.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And now, my new spess.

Poor thing looks terrible in some of these pics. It does have the one darker inclusion that's almost right in the middle, but it doesn't detract from the stone as a whole at all.

I appreciate that my jeweler followed the request to not polish the band, and to do the best he could with the head and the prongs. Turns out that with a little care, you can make a princess head's chevron style prongs into heart prongs for a round. Excellent.

loliondo_2.jpg

mom.jpg

_12243.jpg

_12244.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gene's picture doesn't really do justice to the stone. It's a deceptive little beastie.

orange8.jpg

orange9.jpg

orange3.jpg

mom7.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some orange tree action...

mom10.jpg

mom12.jpg

mom11.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And some tangerine tree action...plus some pool action.

mom13.jpg

_12245.jpg

mom9.jpg

mom15.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And now some fun in the sun

mom14.jpg

mom3.jpg

mom4.jpg

mom5.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more...

Thank you for looking! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

...and just for fun...

mom6.jpg

all_2.jpg

all_3.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
It literally GLOWS like lava. Gorgeous! And its wonderful that you have it in your mom's setting. I love that your ring is both sentimental, and powerful and bold.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
It's amazing Freke!!! The photos of it in the sun are just mind boggling - it really is like lava! It's so touching to see what great care you've taken of your mom's treasures, from giving the princess such a beautiful new home, to finding the right way to wear her setting.

And of course, your collection is just completely amazing!!! :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what glow, Freke! Saturation out the wazoo! Terrific friend you have, and terrific ring -- who'd a thunk that about the prongs? Neat to know. It really is gorgeous, and what a lovely story about your mother. Happy Thanksgiving, girl!

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke, it's just beautiful. Like Indy said it just glows! Amazing. :love: And I also think it's wonderful you were able to use your mom's setting. What a lovely memory to be able to have with you. Thank you for sharing that touching story about your mom.

And as you know your whole collection just rocks!!! I think you have my favorite colored stone collection of anyone here or IRL. :appl:

Happy Thanksgiving!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great, love it in YG. A little warmth in your cool collection. ;)) Love the orange tree shots!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Your pictures are amazing, that stone just glows! Perfect pick for your moms setting :appl: Very sweet to honor her memory by using her setting.
I love all of your beautiful rings, you really find the most amazing stones & settings. Enjoy your gorgeous spress!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
That heart shaped prong is interesting! And Very pretty stone, large, round, gene cut, what more can you ask for? :tongue:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really sticks out like a sore thumb doesn't it! In the very best way of course. Love the sun pics, looks like you plucked it fresh from the trees.

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Like the color....

Scrolling...

Scrolling...

Wow! Molten Sunshine :angryfire: ! Congrats on the beautiful ring and inspiration. :appl:

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Even as a fellow orange averter, your ring is really pretty! It glows in so many light conditions and love the proportions between the thickness of the ring and the dimensions of the stone.

Your tangerine/ orange trees look yummy too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Indylady - I swear it's the sugar inclusions! It's definitely bold, it's definitely not going to fade into the background! It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb in my jewelry box, amongs all of the cool colors - even most of my pinks are cooler.

Petit_bijou - Yeah, the sun pictures...Well I showed them to my husband and he wasn't nearly as impressed at how awesome they are, but he loathes orange, and really, anything that's in the yellow family. Thank you for your lovely words! I'm quite proud of it!

JewelFreak - Well, the friend passed this one on because it was too yellow, and she wanted a more pure orange or a more red orange. I wanted a yellow-orange, so it worked out perfectly. Thank you!!!!

Missy - Thank you for your kind words. If I type out the whole story, it gets really really long. But it includes the line, "Is this REAL?!" from my mom, and it's one of my best memories of her.

NKOTB - Thanks! I should have propped it up in the damn tree and taken pics. oh well, there's always tomorrow.

woofmama - thank you! I thought about holding out for a yellow diamond, but I didn't want to wait that long!

OTL - yes, I wasn't expecting heart shaped prongs either! Thank you!

Elliot86 - Yes it does! That's exactly it! I'll have to take more pics of it out with the trees before they lose all of their fruit.

RTFrog - Yup! I was mesmerized by how it was behaving - obviously my blues and lavenders don't do that kind of thing, but it was so very cool to witness - almost otherworldly!

royalstarrynight - Lol! Weird how orange is such a divisive color. Oh, yes, turns out they are. I made a citrus cake for Thanksgiving tonight and it was delicious.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Freke, what a great story. And how cool your bench made it all work.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke, how wonderful you now have your moms PC diamond and are using her YG setting for such a lovely gemstone. They turned out beautiful.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too love the orange tree shots and love the shots where you caught it in the sunlight perfectly so it looks like its totally glowing.

What a way to honor your Mom and the lovely and bittersweet history of your Mom's er. I'm sure she would be really happy knowing how you have made it your own.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oh. Wow. Those sunlight shots… :love:

I just love your whole collection. Glad you posted those group shots!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Also, second one down on your ring finger- is there a thread for that?

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Really beautiful Freke! What a story too. I think the stone is lovely and looks great in that setting. I also tend to not be the biggest fan of orange, but I always admire spess at Intergem shows.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot get over the mesmerizing glow coming from that stone, it is just amazing and so beautiful! I am really happy the jeweler was able to do such a wonderful job changing the setting, so nice to be able to use your mom's setting - keeps her close to you. It looks fantastic! :love:

And please, don't tell me you live somewhere where you can be by a pool and orange trees at the end of November! Ok, you can tell me but please know I will be extremely jealous!!! ;(

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1385779713|3565009 said:
Freke, what a great story. And how cool your bench made it all work.
Lol! I certainly put him through his paces. His salespeople are all fascinated by me and excited to see what I bring in next. They hadn't seen an orange garnet before when I brought this in, so they were all excited.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
marcy|1385780582|3565015 said:
Freke, how wonderful you now have your moms PC diamond and are using her YG setting for such a lovely gemstone. They turned out beautiful.
Hey, any way I can manage to make another jewelry project, I'm there. Thank you!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1385788683|3565068 said:
I too love the orange tree shots and love the shots where you caught it in the sunlight perfectly so it looks like its totally glowing.

What a way to honor your Mom and the lovely and bittersweet history of your Mom's er. I'm sure she would be really happy knowing how you have made it your own.
What's funny is that orange was her least favorite color too. I think she would have thought this stone was cool though - it's not something you see just walking around town, that's for sure!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jereni|1385826353|3565183 said:
Really beautiful Freke! What a story too. I think the stone is lovely and looks great in that setting. I also tend to not be the biggest fan of orange, but I always admire spess at Intergem shows.
Well, I have almost every other color under the sun, I guess I needed to branch out a little bit! Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results