shape
carat
color
clarity

SO frustrated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so I bought my diamond the beginning of February from Whiteflash. I loovvve my diamond.. I took it out of it''s packaging like fifty times on my way back from the post office. I took it out at my boyfriend''s house, and he freaked out because he kept swearing I was going to lose it, or drop it, or worse... So I stole it and took it to my house, and I had a week to play with it, and then I sent it off to my jeweler. poot.

Two months later, I''m STILL waiting on my ring, and I''m beginning to go crazy! I keep thinking, WHY didn''t I just buy that diamond from Fay Cullen that I liked so much?! Why did I have to go custom?! Why can''t my ring be done?! Why does my boyfriend not seem to care about waiting?!?

Now, I love my jeweler. He''s a great friend, and I know he''s not putting me off for no reason. I''m the only ring he''s working on because he''s the head of the jewelry department of my University, and it''s the last month of school. AND he''s had a lot on his plate, AND we told him NO RUSH!! WHhhhyyy....

whyyyyyyyyy did we tell him no rush?!!!!

I want my rinnnnngg.....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no. I am so sorry. I think you are like me; you want to help a friend out by not rushing them and then regret it. Do you think you could be honest and say you are missing it. I bet after your honest he will give you a better answer on what is going on; I am sure he does not know you miss it sooooo much.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, 2 months is definitely not rushing anyone unless they''re inundated with projects. How about a ''how''s the progress?'' phone call? A phone call that has a definite date in mind of when you''d like to be holding the ring?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! i''m intrigued that you are having your ring created by the head of the jewelry design department at your school. can you share any details as to metal and style?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that''s always tough. I agree with FG, a gentle nudge asking so, How''s it coming along?? I hope it''s finished soon. I think most of us have been there, ie the waiting and all. I can''t wait to see it, though!!!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
The last time we spoke was last month, on the 7th. He said he''d call me after spring break that next week, but he never called.

I was curious to see what progress he had made, but I didn''t want to rush him into making something because I know how busy I am with school, and can only imagine his load. I truly don''t want to rush him. I want my ring to be great, and for him to do it when he''s not stressed out and distracted. I know people have waited like 3-4 months for their rings on PS, and I guess this is what they went through. I guess I''m just a whiner.

As of last month, he said he worked on the design and proportional aspects of the ring.

My BF isn''t concerned about the "date" we get the ring. Which is really annoying, but he''s paying for it, so I guess he''s entitled. He hasn''t proposed yet, and I have no idea when he''s planning to. I don''t know if he''s saying that to fool me, or if he truly doesn''t care. He''s never been duplicitous so I''m just assuming he''s not worried about it. Me, on the other hand? I feel like I''ve been waiting forever.

crown1,
He''s using white gold (I shuddered at platinum when he told me the market price vs white gold) and he''s doing a halo setting around my beautiful 1.092 ct round brilliant. He''s making a unique prong setting that I''ve never seen a picture of before, so I can only say that he''s setting the center diamond with multiple prongs between the halo diamonds, and the prongs mimic the basket underneath the halo. It will be a euro-shank with some diamonds going almost half way down the shank. He''s also clipping the basket underneath to lock my wedding band underneath the basket, as well as a matching eternity band. So it''s three rings alltogether, and they''ll fit flush with one another. I was thinking of getting milgrain and hand engraving added later, but I haven''t made up my mind.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
curio, i so understand wanting to give him the time to make a masterpiece and wanting it at the same time. it sounds lovely and unique, i am anxious to see it myself. i don''t have a euro shank but think i would really llike one.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Your boyfriend may want to surprise you with the proposal therefore you won''t know when he''s going to do that.Since your BF is paying for why not let him handle it? He can speak to the jeweler and make sure its done up to your description and in timely fasion.Do you think the jeweler will spend extra time on your piece just because he is less busy? Just let your BF handle it so you can take it easy..Good luck to you..

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
bahahahahahahah...... welcome to my world!!!!!!!! ((((((curio)))))) look on the bright side! it''s only been 2 mos!! jadeleaves had hers gone for 6!!!! mine''s only been gone just over a month but I''ve had it since august!! lol All good things will come to rest on your finger - okay so that''s not quite the cliche, but hang in there!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow...I had to wait 2 measly weeks for my setting and that was torture! I can''t imagine waiting 2 months!

I agree about the "progress report" phone call. I think waiting 2 months extremely patient of you and now it''s time to ask for a real guideline.

Not to mention that I''d be a little alarmed if someone had my diamond and didn''t call me when they said they would! (Although I know it''s your friend so I''m sure you have nothing to worry about!)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
a jeweler I highly respect once said to me that its best to let a jeweler know to take their time so they''re not stressed and they end up really putting quality time into it... the LAST thing I told Ocean was to take her time and *enjoy* the process LOL

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I apologize; this is long.

Scarletta,
I wish he would handle it. But he wants me to get the ring I want to wear, and not have second-hand information go through him to my jeweler. The other problem is that I''ve taken classes with the jeweler (my former jewlery professor), and I minored in jewelry previously, and (according to him) therefore I have a decent amount of jewelry making experience, so my BF is terrified in getting something wrong on a custom ring.

Basically he gave me a budget, and said "That''s what I''ve got, you should get what you want."

I had the option of getting his grandmother''s ring, which he seemed really attatched to, but I ended up passing on it. He told me about his grandmother offering the ring, and seemed excited about it. But once he told me he wanted to give it to me, he made it clear that he didn''t want me to change anything about the ring, and wanted to keep the setting original... and to be honest, while the ring is beautiful, the setting didn''t fit my lifestyle or taste. So I was back to square one, and I felt very badly about my decision.

I also had the option of him picking out a ring for me. But I didn''t trust him, because he''s relatively lazy when it comes to picking things out, and I was afraid he would spend his money on something overpriced at somewhere terrible like Jared, or god forbid, Zales, WHICH by the way he confirmed he would have done! Also, his school schedule is extremely and utterly hectic (mechanical engineering), and he just wouldn''t have the time.

I really don''t know what he''ll do for a proposal. He''s never suprised me with anything since the day we laid eyes on each other. I don''t know why he''s like that. If he just did what he wanted, then I wouldn''t have to spend my time over-thinking about what I really want! I''d love for him to suprise me, but I can''t say I wouldn''t expect him to call me one day and say, "I''m going to propose this month, so I''d like to know what restaurant you''d like to eat at when I do." Seriously.

Me on the other hand? I''m secretive, surreptitious, and the most calculative person I know! I find his gifts months before, plan them out, keep them hidden and make him suspicious. I thrive on it, but he just... doesn''t. (shrug)

OKAY enough venting-- I need to focus on the positive!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 12:01:43 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
a jeweler I highly respect once said to me that its best to let a jeweler know to take their time so they're not stressed and they end up really putting quality time into it... the LAST thing I told Ocean was to take her time and *enjoy* the process LOL

LoL cehrabehra. I mean, I know how tough it is! I've had to make jewelry on deadlines, and know all the things that could go wrong by working on it while I'm stressed out!

Plus my BF said we weren't on a time constraint, so........ !!!!!!! lol

SO I EMAILED HIM..... I've lost 30 pounds in the last couple of months so I used that as an excuse to tell him my finger size changed.. Anyway, he got right back to me. He said the drawings will be ready next week, and he'll give me a call when they're done. aHHH just the drawings?! i figured he'd have a bunch of wax molds to throw at me!! rofl, I could have drawn the drawings!!! bawww...

...good things come to those who wait, good things come to those who wait, good things come to those who wait...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just saw this... I think the finger size/weight loss prod is a good one. But I understand what you mean about being in a frustrating postion... just the drawings at this point... Hmmm. Patience is a virtue. Although I would be frustrated, personally. Still and all, it's going to be lovely that the setting will have so much sentimental value for you and you'll appreciate it all that much more when it's done!

I'm laughing at the BF narrative. "I'm going to propose this month so I want to know what restuarant you want to go to..."

Remind me to tell you about the MOOSE staring down at me during part 1 of my proposal. *shakes head*

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never feel too bad about asking for an update. I usually do it in a nice way and not too frequently, maybe every three weeks or so. I usually email something like, "no rush, but how''s the ring coming?" with a smilely face or something in the email. Hopefully I''m not too naggy...

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
lol gypsy.. I hope that was a mounted moose and not a LIVE moose! Goodness gracious, I can only imagine.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh curio, gosh i''m so sorry you''ve only got the drawings. I''m sure the final product will be totally worth the wait though, your design sounds fabulous.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to say, I hope time flies for you! I know you must be going crazy. Hang in there.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 2:00:01 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I never feel too bad about asking for an update. I usually do it in a nice way and not too frequently, maybe every three weeks or so. I usually email something like, ''no rush, but how''s the ring coming?'' with a smilely face or something in the email. Hopefully I''m not too naggy...
LOL I haven''t talked to ocean since friday and am already plotting excuses to say hi LOL But I also just really like her :) Best excuse ever!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 12:12:58 AM
Author: curiopotter

Date: 4/10/2007 12:01:43 AM
a jeweler I highly respect once said to me that its best to let a jeweler know to take their time so they''re not stressed and they end up really putting quality time into it... the LAST thing I told Ocean was to take her time and *enjoy* the process LOL

LoL cehrabehra. I mean, I know how tough it is! I''ve had to make jewelry on deadlines, and know all the things that could go wrong by working on it while I''m stressed out!

Plus my BF said we weren''t on a time constraint, so........ !!!!!!! lol

SO I EMAILED HIM..... I''ve lost 30 pounds in the last couple of months so I used that as an excuse to tell him my finger size changed.. Anyway, he got right back to me. He said the drawings will be ready next week, and he''ll give me a call when they''re done. aHHH just the drawings?! i figured he''d have a bunch of wax molds to throw at me!! rofl, I could have drawn the drawings!!! bawww...

...good things come to those who wait, good things come to those who wait, good things come to those who wait...
Yeah, this is why I NEVER tell a jeweler to ''take their sweet time'' because your version of ''time'' is frequently not on the same scale as their version of time. There''s a difference between rushing to get something done and it''s subpar, versus them getting to your project ''whenever they get a chance.'' A big difference.
2.gif

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 5:50:40 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Girl how DID you lose 30 pounds in two months? Yikes!

*eta.. Sorry about having to wait for your ring honey, ''Good things come to those who wait!''
28.gif
Big hugs..
My brother and his company decided to go on a diet contest. They all chipped in 50 bucks to see who would loose the most amount of weight in 2 months. When he lost 18 pounds, I got annoyed and motivated, so I hopped on the bandwagon.

I decided to follow in his footsteps, and got my BF to join me. I''ve just been doing that.. right now I''m doing a modified Atkins approach. I rollerblade when I can, and I''ve been walking a lot more. So far I''ve lost 28 pounds; I lose about 3 pounds a week on average.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your support. I''m just chomping at the bits to get my ring!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 6:45:21 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Yeah, this is why I NEVER tell a jeweler to ''take their sweet time'' because your version of ''time'' is frequently not on the same scale as their version of time. There''s a difference between rushing to get something done and it''s subpar, versus them getting to your project ''whenever they get a chance.'' A big difference.
2.gif

Yeah no kidding... I mean, I know there are special circumstances for him. I knew that going into it, because he did sorta warn me.. He''s not really a jeweler.. I mean he is, but he''s a teacher first, and that''s obviously his priority. I think he does most of his commissions during the summers. He''s retiring next year, so that''s another thing. He''s emailed me about his hunt for a replacement, and to replace 3 other tenured professors in the fine arts department. Two passed away, and one decided to take a position in Maryland or something. So it''s left him and the others in the department scrambling for replacements. I think he also had cancer last year, and that''s another reason he''s retiring.. and obviously it''s slowed him down quite a bit.

bah.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Hey curio...you hang in there, girl! Your ring description sounds facinating...I can''t wait to see it. Now, when you get the pics will you be sharing with us or are you gonna make us wait until you have the finished ring?

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 9:12:08 PM
Author: dianne
Hey curio...you hang in there, girl! Your ring description sounds facinating...I can''t wait to see it. Now, when you get the pics will you be sharing with us or are you gonna make us wait until you have the finished ring?

I''ll be sharing everything I get! I''ll probably take pictures of his drawings! lol..

*whispers* ...anything I can get my grubby little hands on... hee hee heee..

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 6:45:21 PM
Author: FireGoddess
2.gif
bahahaha you do make a valid point here ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 1:53:54 PM
Author: Gypsy
Just saw this... I think the finger size/weight loss prod is a good one. But I understand what you mean about being in a frustrating postion... just the drawings at this point... Hmmm. Patience is a virtue. Although I would be frustrated, personally. Still and all, it''s going to be lovely that the setting will have so much sentimental value for you and you''ll appreciate it all that much more when it''s done!

I''m laughing at the BF narrative. ''I''m going to propose this month so I want to know what restuarant you want to go to...''

Remind me to tell you about the MOOSE staring down at me during part 1 of my proposal. *shakes head*
kinda like the herd of bison watching me at mine? LMAO!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 10:11:44 PM

Just saw this... I think the finger size/weight loss prod is a good one. But I understand what you mean about being in a frustrating postion... just the drawings at this point... Hmmm. Patience is a virtue. Although I would be frustrated, personally. Still and all, it''s going to be lovely that the setting will have so much sentimental value for you and you''ll appreciate it all that much more when it''s done!

I''m laughing at the BF narrative. ''I''m going to propose this month so I want to know what restuarant you want to go to...''

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-story.48159/
exerpt:
so it''s the afternoon on the last full day and we''re going to head back to my house, maybe have a romantic evening, I''m thinking... and he says, hey, let''s go to golden gate park and look at the buffalo. I''m okay, okay - sure. Let''s look at the buffalo and hurry up so we can get home... so we''re standing there in front of the buffalo and he starts to drop to one knee and I blink at him and say OH NO NONONONONONO and he says, YES! and I say uh no no way, no way are you going to do this here, and he says, "but I love you and I want to know if you will..." and I just grabbed his hand and pulled him up and started walking. I had NO idea where, but I knew it wasn''t in front of the buffalo LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 10:05:09 PM
Author: curiopotter

Date: 4/10/2007 9:12:08 PM
Author: dianne

I''ll be sharing everything I get! I''ll probably take pictures of his drawings! lol..

*whispers* ...anything I can get my grubby little hands on... hee hee heee..
you better be sharing! It does sound amazing! I love alternate prongs!! woo!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 10:14:07 PM
Date: 4/10/2007 10:11:44 PM

Just saw this... I think the finger size/weight loss prod is a good one. But I understand what you mean about being in a frustrating postion... just the drawings at this point... Hmmm. Patience is a virtue. Although I would be frustrated, personally. Still and all, it's going to be lovely that the setting will have so much sentimental value for you and you'll appreciate it all that much more when it's done!

I'm laughing at the BF narrative. 'I'm going to propose this month so I want to know what restuarant you want to go to...'

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-story.48159/

exerpt:

so it's the afternoon on the last full day and we're going to head back to my house, maybe have a romantic evening, I'm thinking... and he says, hey, let's go to golden gate park and look at the buffalo. I'm okay, okay - sure. Let's look at the buffalo and hurry up so we can get home... so we're standing there in front of the buffalo and he starts to drop to one knee and I blink at him and say OH NO NONONONONONO and he says, YES! and I say uh no no way, no way are you going to do this here, and he says, 'but I love you and I want to know if you will...' and I just grabbed his hand and pulled him up and started walking. I had NO idea where, but I knew it wasn't in front of the buffalo LOL

That's so funny cause it's SO similar. We were visiting his cousin in DE for a house party and his cousin had this GREAT real Victorian Mansion that when he bought it came partially funished. Anyway, the jeweler FI used was in DE and I knew that so I was expecting the proposal that weekend. Anyway, he offers to take me on a tour of the house (Huge freaking house) and we end up in this room with this old MOOSE HEAD on the wall. And I'm not pro-hunting and it was just staring at me, accusingly, and so FI takes my hand and looks into my eyes and pulls me close and I say, "Is a balcony? Lets go out on the balcony NOW."

He says, "But it's raining...."

And I'm desperate cause I don't want to have that moose looming overhead so I drag him toward the french doors and outside and exclaim (as the sky is POURING)... It's just a drizzle, and it's so beautiful here (I have no idea what the view was but as long as it was a moose free view I didn't care)."

So he didn't get down on bended knee in the rain, and I got a moose free proposal.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
You know, your proposal stores are just a testament to how little men pay attention to their surroundings. lol

by the way..... was this supposed to be reassuring?!
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results