shape
carat
color
clarity

So Disappointed! (But I Got New Stones!)

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well this is kind of an update on the 'setting stones yourself' thread that I made.

Basiclly I was dragging this poor stone and mount all over Cambridge trying to get it set with no luck, and LD had made a suggestion of a good jeweller she knew.

So anyway... I rang them up and their staff were very friendly, I was chuffed to bits that there were actually jewellers who would talk to me on the same level. I sent the ring and mount off a couple of weeks ago and they rang me the other day saying that they too, could not set the ring!

Apparently, the size of the gem wasn't 'what it said on the tin' as they put it. It was actually .5mm bigger, and because the claws on the setting were quite thick, there was no way it would go in without taking drastic measures.

I'm a bit gutted really, I feel like I'm never going to get anything set, and when it's for reasons that are beyond my control, (like the seller sending me the wrong size mount, that happend too!) I just feel like it's pot luck whether it will work or not, and I just feel like I'm wasting my time and money!

SO!!!

I decided to get a couple of stones that will not be set! They are for eye-candy only! :bigsmile:
Plus, I wanted to try out GemSelect, I think it was a success.

12.3ct Kunzite ~14mm and 7.17 Ametrine ~12mm. (I know it's a bit windowed, but it was cheap, and I do like it!)

IMG_1439_0.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

Cheers for the suggestion LD, next time I feel like getting something set, (which might not be for a while!) I'll definatly use Stanleys again!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
"If your down and out and your stone can't be set
keep your chin up and don't fret
be like Deathspi.. head on out
by some new stones so you don't scream and shout"
:amguy :read:

Nice stones, Deathspi! Kunzite looks pretty nice.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amguy's a poet and he knows it!!! :lol:

Deathspi - so sorry to hear your news. Seriously if it could have been done safely, Stanleys would have done it. They have one of the best benchmen in Birmingham I believe and I've seen them work some minor miracles. I'm gutted for you. On the plus side, you've got some pretty new stones to play with. Don't give up though will you? We all made errors when we started collecting but it does become easier. If you have a stone and see a few settings you like why don't you post them up and get people's opinion on what might work/fit? That way, at least you don't spend money and have a disappointment later.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Haha, nice reply amethystguy! ;-)

LD, thanks, but to be honest I'm not that dissapointed (despite the title!) I just don't know what else I could of done. If I had posted the stone on here I doubt that anyone would of known the slight size difference as I had no idea. Maybe I should get the calipers out and measure myself beforehand but other than that I don't know what I could have done. Anyway, the stones and settings arn't going anywhere and I will try again soon. I think in the mean time I'm going to expand my gem collection a bit, and I bought a 'ready-made ring a couple of days ago too to cheer myself up! Anyway, I'm rambling, time to shut up! :rodent:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results