shape
carat
color
clarity

So confused!! Round, Cushion, or Asscher?????

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
Just when I thought I made up my mind about my upgrade to a RB in a solitaire.....I am still so tempted by these Asschers and also Cushions. These rings are from David Birnbaum. I think they are TDF!!!

I had wanted more POP and spread from the RB.....but these Asschers are just so drool-worthy, and I love so many of the cushions on here too......I love fashion, I am 36, I want a modern looking ring that is versatile and classic.....please tell me whether I should get:

1. 4 to 5 carat RB solitaire
2. Asscher 1 in attached photo
3. Asscher 2 in attached photo
4. Asscher 3 in attached photo
5. Cushion in attached photo

HELP!!! Thank you so much!!!

birnbaum.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tenyearanniversary|1316586968|3021985 said:
I had wanted more POP and spread from the RB.....but these Asschers are just so drool-worthy

While it is true that (if they are both the same weight) a round will face up larger than an asscher, that round will cost around 40% more than that asscher.

For the same BUDGET (not weight) an asscher and a round will face up similarly.
I think comparing stones of the same price makes more sense than comparing stones of equal weight.

There was a thread about this recently where a chart of data from Bluenile confirmed this.

You are comparing very very different looking cuts.
Take your time to be sure of your choice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an asscher and KNOW I am a fancy girl hands down. So for me... it's no question I'd pick the Asscher with traps.

BUT there is another option... not to confuse you (and don't kill me) but... how about an Old European Diamonds in 4 carats or so? It's round, spready depending on the individual stone but also has chunkier facets than a RB and more 'personality'?

But if you are asking about the above... no contest asscher for me. In a three stone. Preferably like the old Cartier ones, but the trap setting above is lovely as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I think I would go down to I / SI 1 in a RB. How about for Asschers? Would I have to go up to G or H, VS2 or VS1? That would affect the budget.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a stunning Old European although it is ONLY *hehehe* two carats

30_1314491908_1.jpg

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Gypsy! I love the square shape on the Asscher, but thanks for showing me the round Old European cut!

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Just an observation - looking at your post from a neutral position - it sounds to me like the Asscher is the one you are zeroing in on. You list three of the in your first post, it is in your title, you ask a question about color/clarity of an Asscher and you mentioned in your next relply. If you read between the lines I think it is very plain to see that this is the cut you are really drawn to. You said you want it to be modern yet versatile and classic - to me I think a beautiful asscher set with traps would fit that bill perfectly!

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
One more thing - I started out looking for a round brilliant for my upgrade. I was convinced that is what I wanted. Then I found PriceScope and started seeing all of the beautiful antique cushions, OMC, and OEC's. I couldn't decide, then I looked at all of the stones and rings I bookmarked and it was clear to me that an antique cushion was the way to go. ROughly 70 percent of my bookmarks were antique cushions or AVC's. I ultimately fell in love with a warm colored AVC that is waiting to be set. Good luck.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No one can make this decision for you, but I agree with Kenny's advice to take your time in making a decision. I believe that you already have an asscher? Am I wrong?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would go visit some larger stones in person in different cuts to see what appeals to you...that is the best way to decide!

kurtwoodfork

Rough_Rock
i think the asscher w/ traps (#1) is most modern looking! and it's BEAUTIFUL :) i also really like the emerald cut ring in the picture, and the oval with 2 half moons...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results