shape
carat
color
clarity

So, any consensus re: durable eternity band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hiya!
I know there has been a LOT of talk about different styles of eternity bands, different vendors, and the possible problems that can occur. So, is there any consensus on an eternity band that you can wear without (too much) worry? Seems like with shared prong, you can run into the exposed girdles eating your e-ring, difficult to get it made perfectly even, possible loose stones, and the prongs can be ouchy. Plus, I don''t care for the side view on many of them - I prefer smooth sides and they rarely have that. The channel set bands might have their own set of problems - my original channel set e-ring had problems with loose stones, uneven-ness, and space between the rb''s (which I know some space is necessary due to their shape). So, what''s the best style for durability (and looks, of course?)

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Why go with something you''ve heard so many terrible things about?!
2.gif

Seriously though, the sides of my shared prong band are hardly noticeable at all! Unless you get really close you can''t even see them. I love the sparkly look of all diamnds and very little metal. I haven''t had the problem with overhang or injured fingers. My ring has been durable so far (knock on wood) for the past 8 months. Maybe it''s not the look for everyone, but all I see is beautiful bling and I love it!
36.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I will be following this thread closely. I have just decided on a princess e-band for my wedding band. I obviously won''t have the space issue but uneveness could be a problem....

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
JulieN, I love that style! Someone in the thread called it fishtail pave. It looks like a variation on shared prong but with solid metal sides?

I should probably have said, I am already happily married and have a plain plat band which I adore, but am hoping for an eternity band for our anniversary. I''d like to be able to wear it with my e-ring on blingy days, or as a RHR.

I think my favorite look is the channel set when the diamonds are set right up against eachother (not with space between.) But I do not want to be constantly running to my jeweler with loose stones as happened with my previous channel set ring! I wonder if bead set would be a good happy medium! I''d also be interested to see the 4 prong like Mara''s, never seen one in person, but I''m not sure if it would look right with my e-ring.

My friend has a beautiful channel set eternity band that is so thin, must be only 2 mm if even that. I just love how delicate and sparkly it is. She has not had any problems with it in 5 years. Of course she got it from a B&M in another state and I have not seen anything quite like it in stores or online (except maybe the Ritani endless love eternity band, but I''m not sure I can stomach their prices compared with signed pieces!)

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2006 12:27:05 AM
Author: Jelly
Why go with something you''ve heard so many terrible things about?!
2.gif

36.gif
Cuz I love the look :) Glad your set is working out - it''s beautiful!

By the way didn''t you have a clarinet in your avatar for a while? Do you play?

familystone

Shiny_Rock
I am not sure if this is true but I heard full eternity bans are tough to resize but if you go 3/4 it can be sized. I don''t know if that is a factor for your durability test

-Dave

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Yep, I play the clarinet! I''m a music teacher. Do you play too?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Neat! Yes, I do. I started college as a clarinet major in fact. I ended up pursuing a career in a non-musical direction but still really enjoy playing recreationally!
That''s wonderful that you teach! What grade(s) do you teach? Many of my best memories of high school and college were from music experiences.
Date: 5/7/2006 12:56:48 AM
Author: Jelly
Yep, I play the clarinet! I''m a music teacher. Do you play too?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2006 12:55:35 AM
Author: familystone
I am not sure if this is true but I heard full eternity bans are tough to resize but if you go 3/4 it can be sized. I don''t know if that is a factor for your durability test

-Dave
Yes, it is very difficult to size eternity bands. But I really, really love the look so I figured I''d chance it :)

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I teach middle schoolers. It''s a great job and it helps me keep my mind off diamonds, although I admittedly check PS while in my office at school! Just horrible! haha

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gail just get a plain solitaire....tee hee. too much trouble with those shared prong rings!!
31.gif

that said, i know about the love of eternity. i still adore my rings. my style is definitely the 'most durable' if not the most dainty or pretty....it just depends on how hard you are with your hands and the like. i'm a clumsy girl and needed something to really work with my lifestyle. also just be sure to have reasonable expectations set from the vendor and also for you as a consumer on what to expect with the ring, wearing the ring, cleaning the ring, etc. so many sets are beautiful but they just don't work in the daily life scenario, depending on how you are. others can wear the daintiest of sets with no problems. but me, i need metal around my stones!!

oh and for sizing, you can upsize an eternity about 1/4 of a size depending on the setting...i had mine done at my local jeweler and all they did was shave out a bit of the blank metal inside the ring to make it a tiny bit larger for me. so the stones weren't affected, it was not as though they 'stretched' the ring or anything. so possibly if you ask for a bit of additional metal (a tiny amount really around the whole ring) then you could have them resized in the future in the same manner without disturbing the stones.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hey Gail!!!

How are ya? If you like a eternity that has dainty, thin look, would you consider the band that I am interested in for myself (the one I told you from Tiffany''s). It is so pretty and delicate- I think 2 mm...it looks really nice...sorry I couldnt get a closer up pic, but its called the Tiffany Legacy band...

tiffanyband.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara''s set is the more durable and safe so if that''s what you''re wanting, get something made like hers. I think there is the potential for problems with any ring, nothing is 100%, so get what you love and don''t worry about it too much. if you hand around here long enough you''ll probably change your mind in a few years before any real wear and tear set in
31.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
tACORI,
My band is onl 3/4 eternity princess, and I have worn it for 3 yrs. I have only recently had trouble with unevenness, but that was bc I had it sized. If the stones are square and set well, it shouldn''t be a problem.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that pave, and prong set stones are accidents waiting to happen. I am very hard on rings .........i have an eternity band of channel set square cut diamondsthat is from the 20'' or 30''s and i wear it for everything...............its impervious to damage ----so far

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2006 7:27:07 AM
Author: mrssalvo
Mara''s set is the more durable and safe so if that''s what you''re wanting, get something made like hers. I think there is the potential for problems with any ring, nothing is 100%, so get what you love and don''t worry about it too much. if you hand around here long enough you''ll probably change your mind in a few years before any real wear and tear set in
31.gif
Sad, but probably true!

Thanks everyone this is very interesting.

Dani, I really like the one you posted! Are you thinking of it to go with your lovely e-ring? I could totally see that together. I''d like to try on that style. I don''t live near a Tiffany''s currently, but last time I went in one I tried on a channel set round eternity band at about .4 carat. I thought I would want bigger than that, but the size really suited me. I''m very tempted to get one similar from Signed Pieces. I really want to be sure I can wear it all the time and not have to replace it in a few years.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gail-

Yes, I am definitely thinking about this band with my e-ring- I have tried it on and it looks great! I know its Tiffany''s, but I dont care- I think its gorgeous!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I just checked out that Tiff band on their site. It''s weird, but they describe it as "channel set." It''s really not. It''s got two tiny prongs between each diamond (not sure if that''s called bead-set or shared prong). I just thought it odd that Tiffany''s, of all places, would incorrectly describe a band ring.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I am considering the fishtail pave style for a re-set. I think it is gorgeous, and according to WF it is actually more of a "pave-plus", meaning it should be as durable and wear-able as the shared prong style (which I currently have and have never had any problems with).

Another consideration is the WF Aramis setting - which I also think is lovely. It gives you totally smooth sides if that is your preference.

ARAMIS3byWF.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i LURVE the aramis....i think that would be my choice if i was doing something kind of like that but with less metal. i love the smooth sides thing big time.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I love that Aramis by WF! Is that something they do custom or can you buy it ready made?
I agree that you wouldn''t think Tiffany would misclassify something. However, that band does seem to be channel set in addition to having the extra prong, so they may still technically be right - but I would have called it bead setting.
Dani, if you love the ring go for it! I don''t know about you, but for me, the Tiffany name does hold a lot of mystique and value to me. The only things I have bought there are silver, and they are things that are unique to Tiffany. Other styles that I see replicated elsewhere (and well!) I probably would not buy there. However, I can say that I enjoy my Tiffany silver more than any of my other silver jewelry.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2006 9:24:47 AM
Author: Sophie
tACORI,

My band is onl 3/4 eternity princess, and I have worn it for 3 yrs. I have only recently had trouble with unevenness, but that was bc I had it sized. If the stones are square and set well, it shouldn''t be a problem.

Good to know! Thanks Sophie
9.gif

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to join this thread late, but I''m driving myself nuts trying to talk myself out of an eternity type setting, and the comments here and elsewhere are helpful to try to balance my paranoia with other folks real world experience.

With the Aramis above, is it more secure than just pave set stones? I cant seem to find it on WF''s site - is it a custom order?

TIA - M

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 1:17:26 PM
Author: piccolascimmia
Sorry to join this thread late, but I''m driving myself nuts trying to talk myself out of an eternity type setting, and the comments here and elsewhere are helpful to try to balance my paranoia with other folks real world experience.

With the Aramis above, is it more secure than just pave set stones? I cant seem to find it on WF''s site - is it a custom order?

TIA - M

piccolascimmia, you can do a search on pave and a whole bunch of threads will pop up. much has to do with how it''s made. If the rings are handmade verses cast, and even then it is always possible for a stone to come out or get loose. I love the look and have done my research and will be getting a pave ring myself, but it will be handmade from a designer who makes them day in and day out with a reputation for quality. that''s the only way i''d chance it.

The aramis setting is in the Wf gallery. you can find it
here

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks mrssalvo - I''ve been reading everything I can on this forum, and this thread was nice to summarize and introduce me to the aramis. Its so easy to get jumbled when looking between all the options at WF, Signed Pieces, Wink, etc. Y''all are an invaluable resource, even if there''s a bit of drama now and then
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results