shape
carat
color
clarity

So, about this coming Tuesday in the U.S...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who are you all anticipating will do what? I don’t know one person In my life who is riling up to stir chaos. And l know a lot people from both political parties.

There are a ton of radicals where I live, on opposite sides of the spectrum. Lots of protests take place here and the crazy has really come out in these people already, especially on socials. I was lambasted for posting an opinion on my FB page this week, by two people I considered friends, who resorted to name calling, threatening violence and murder, etc. talking about “revolutionaries” and whatever other nonsense. Our Farmers Market disintegrated over differences of opinion last year and certain vendors were “cancelled” due to their personal beliefs which they’d never used for profit. It’s been nuts. No peace, no resolution, nothing. So yeahhhhh, I’m a little concerned.

:((

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think 90 million people have already voted. Those votes will be legally counted. The possible problems come from the date the last ballot will be counted. Most states recognize as legal a ballot that is postmarked election day, but may have up to a week to arrive. This has been true for all elections. Fed/ judges decided in Minn. to only allow a ballot to be counted if it is in a polling place or election headquarter on or before election day. So, even if a ballot is postmarked election day it cannot arrive later . Only military ballots will be allowed to come late.

I do not foresee a violent outcome. It will be settled by the courts. The states are responsible for election laws. However the Fed. Gov. is beginning to overturn some of these.

In conclusion, I wish to point out that we have had a long election process, not a one day process, and all people who wanted to vote had ample opportunity to do so. The mail has been slow, so people should have counted on that. Whether one went to an early voting place or got an absentee ballot, all had a chance. There is still time. People can vote in person on election day. There is no cause for violence. You may have some intimidation at some polls on election day , but most ballots are in.

I don't see the violence. I plan to watch. Florida is already counting ballots. We may get Florida returns early. They are important returns. Thats a tight race.

Thumbs up
Annette

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
There are a ton of radicals where I live, on opposite sides of the spectrum. Lots of protests take place here and the crazy has really come out in these people already, especially on socials. I was lambasted for posting an opinion on my FB page this week, by two people I considered friends, who resorted to name calling, threatening violence and murder, etc. talking about “revolutionaries” and whatever other nonsense. Our Farmers Market disintegrated over differences of opinion last year and certain vendors were “cancelled” due to their personal beliefs which they’d never used for profit. It’s been nuts. No peace, no resolution, nothing. So yeahhhhh, I’m a little concerned.

Wow, sorry to hear this, @monarch64. With friends like these, who needs enemies?!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I think 90 million people have already voted. Those votes will be legally counted. The possible problems come from the date the last ballot will be counted. Most states recognize as legal a ballot that is postmarked election day, but may have up to a week to arrive. This has been true for all elections. Fed/ judges decided in Minn. to only allow a ballot to be counted if it is in a polling place or election headquarter on or before election day. So, even if a ballot is postmarked election day it cannot arrive later . Only military ballots will be allowed to come late.

I do not foresee a violent outcome. It will be settled by the courts. The states are responsible for election laws. However the Fed. Gov. is beginning to overturn some of these.

In conclusion, I wish to point out that we have had a long election process, not a one day process, and all people who wanted to vote had ample opportunity to do so. The mail has been slow, so people should have counted on that. Whether one went to an early voting place or got an absentee ballot, all had a chance. There is still time. People can vote in person on election day. There is no cause for violence. You may have some intimidation at some polls on election day , but most ballots are in.

I don't see the violence. I plan to watch. Florida is already counting ballots. We may get Florida returns early. They are important returns. Thats a tight race.

Thumbs up
Annette

I hope there is not. We are all in this together. Hoping for more love in 2021

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, sorry to hear this, @monarch64. With friends like these, who needs enemies?!

I was sorry to read the hateful comments! Very strange experience and personal attacks abounded. At first it was painful, but then I chalked it up to people being absolutely brainwashed. One person just kept going and wouldn’t stop so I had to block them. Ugh!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:blackeye: i'm sorry @monarch64 it's wrong no matter who does it.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Thumbs up
Annette

Our ballots have to be received at the election office by election day. No additional time afterwards. I agree there is plenty of time to plan to vote by election day whether in person or get your absentee ballot in the mail early. I think there will be pockets of violence because some people have a taste for it whether it's warranted or not.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I live in a city where people have been lining up for ammo outside sporting goods stores for the past couple of months, and people even hold protests over stands selling political paraphernalia like hats and T-shirts. I’m definitely not going out. I plan to do my weekly grocery shopping and hunkering down at home!

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Hubs and I plan to be at the polls before they open on e-day since some folks like us don't want to do early voting, so we expect crazy lines day of. After we'll go about our daily. I'll be headed to my home office since I work at home while hubs will likely stay with eyes and ears glued to the news like he has for the past 4 yrs! If anything crazy happens he generally barges into the office to alert me! At some point after work I planned on making a batch of brownies and eating away my anxieties about the results!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hubs and I plan to be at the polls before they open on e-day since some folks like us don't want to do early voting, so we expect crazy lines day of. After we'll go about our daily. I'll be headed to my home office since I work at home while hubs will likely stay with eyes and ears glued to the news like he has for the past 4 yrs! If anything crazy happens he generally barges into the office to alert me! At some point after work I planned on making a batch of brownies and eating away my anxieties about the results!

Hopefully your polling day vote will be as eaay as ours
so many people voted early we were the only ones there when we went to vote on election day (lunch time)

Enjoy the brownies

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever happened to
I live in a city where people have been lining up for ammo outside sporting goods stores for the past couple of months, and people even hold protests over stands selling political paraphernalia like hats and T-shirts. I’m definitely not going out. I plan to do my weekly grocery shopping and hunkering down at home!

people have been lining up for guns and ammo since the pandemic began. This is nothing new. Hopefully that eases your concern.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Whatever happened to

people have been lining up for guns and ammo since the pandemic began. This is nothing new. Hopefully that eases your concern.

Very scary!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Business as usual for us. We voted weeks ago. So weather permitting we will go cycling though right now Monday and Tuesday don't look to be good cycling weather. The meteorologists often cannot predict accurately the weather the day of so we shall see. If we cannot cycle we shall walk.

I am (actively) working on living in the moment. Lots of challenges personally and of course world wide and I feel calmer if I live in the moment and do not focus too far ahead in the future. We can only control what we can control and most things we have zero or little control over so stressing about it does no good for anyone.

Live in the moment.
One day at a time.
Enjoy each day, each hour.
Be grateful for all the good one does have in life.
Focus on the positive.
Get through the hard times.
Always being thankful we are still here to enjoy the good and survive the challenging.

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 6.51.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 6.51.50 AM.png

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Business as usual for us. We voted weeks ago. So weather permitting we will go cycling though right now Monday and Tuesday don't look to be good cycling weather. The meteorologists often cannot predict accurately the weather the day of so we shall see. If we cannot cycle we shall walk.

I am (actively) working on living in the moment. Lots of challenges personally and of course world wide and I feel calmer if I live in the moment and do not focus too far ahead in the future. We can only control what we can control and most things we have zero or little control over so stressing about it does no good for anyone.

Live in the moment.
One day at a time.
Focus on the positive.
Always being thankful we are still here to enjoy the good and survive the challenging.

Thank you Missy. I needed the wise words to live in the moment, for more than one reason. It's a good reminder to not focus too far ahead in the future, again, for more than one reason.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock

Live in the moment.
One day at a time.
Focus on the positive.

Missy, as usual you are the voice of reason. positivity, and encouragement. You are the real gem of PS! =)2

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be cooking/baking, knitting, Netflixing, snuggling with our kitty, and hoping for the best for all of us. No TV, Facebook, or NPR. I've been Covid-furloughed, so I can't bury myself in work, but I'm determined to do everything I can to keep my mind off what is out of my control. I'm certainly looking forward to the end of the incessant political texts, emails, and calls. I'm just hoping we can return to a kinder place when this is all over.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to vote in person and hope for the best.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be cooking/baking, knitting, Netflixing, snuggling with our kitty, and hoping for the best for all of us. No TV, Facebook, or NPR. I've been Covid-furloughed, so I can't bury myself in work, but I'm determined to do everything I can to keep my mind off what is out of my control. I'm certainly looking forward to the end of the incessant political texts, emails, and calls. I'm just hoping we can return to a kinder place when this is all over.

Similar plans for me. I did my part by voting early and will do my best to make it a tea-and-cookies kind of day.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@monarch64 you have my sympathies. I understand. I am 11 miles from what some of them fools down here are calling "The Kingdom" :roll: and btw, every time he comes in here, he messes up the traffic. Not gonna lie, I'm very sick of that. However, In between here and there, from both sides, the effery ensues and it does get crazier by the day. I can't post that type of stuff here so y'all will have to just imagine having a 4 corner major intersection with 6 lanes with the people and the signs and the police, and the fighting. And its been raining a ton here, which maybe is keeping it to a much duller roar.... Its unfortunately NOT the only corner like that.

The only plus is that many are wearing masks.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
This sounds awful, but Tuesday is going to be like the Super Bowl here.

Some people are buying snacks and drinks, I’ve been invited to multiple zoom watching parties. It’s voyeurism.

There’s a belief among many here that a vote for a particular politician means that you share their morals and opinions on social issues. Yesterday everyone I know denounced Bobby Orr, a national hero. During the last Canadian election, the political party who was expected to win lost by a landslide after their leader expressed his personal beliefs. Here, for the most part, it’s not considered radicalism to tell someone you know that their political opinion is wrong.

All that to say that the rest of the world is going to be watched with interest.

Disclaimer since Canada is very diverse as was just noted in another thread. In my particular social and work group these things are the norm. I’m sure people vary!

Last edited:

inne

Shiny_Rock
I am not in the US, but everyone I know is dying of anxiety about this. I will be working, probably going for a hike, watching something mindless on tv, and telling myself to avoid the news because there's nothing I can do at this point anyway. But I'll actually be reloading the NY Times website and texting my sister about it every 2 minutes.

One outcome will probably have people cheering in the streets here. I was walking through Toronto on election night in 2008 and could hear people all over the city celebrating.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I wholeheartedly agree with @missy post about living in the moment. That's honestly what I've been trying to do now more than ever. That and live my best life. Covid has made me realize (again) that tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. Although we can plan as well as we want to no one knows what tomorrow will bring. Every so often I need to be reminded about the frailty of life and Covid has done that. I joined PS because I love jewelry. Hubs thought I was wacky (in a loving way, of course) because I could spend all day on the internet looking at jewelry, jewelry designs, gemstones, diamonds etc. But at the end of the day, it's what I want to do because jewelry is something that brings me joy. Some people can Netflix all day (believe me I can do that, too), and others can sew or paint or whatever. I can only talk to hubs about jewelry for so long before his eyes start to roll in the back of his head!!! And my BFF isn't as into jewelry as I am, so that conversation only goes but so far. I have found a wonderful outlet in PS. I primarily enjoy looking at and learning about jewelry (but do also enjoy some knitting, sewing, cooking and baking thrown in). I hope everyone lives their best life by doing what they love no matter what people think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results