shape
carat
color
clarity

So a funny thing happend on the way to my upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KD, I don''t know if you would want to be me -- I''m driving myself CRAZY!!!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Since you like the halo-impact type of setting, I would stick with the stone you have. It''s gorgeous and it''s what you like in a stone. Putting any bigger stone in those types of settings would be way to much, IMO. As it is, you won''t be able to see much of the shank anyway. I think your "temp" stone is stunning and in a halo...wow!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2006 10:34:55 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
KD, I don''t know if you would want to be me -- I''m driving myself CRAZY!!!
Yeah but it''s a happy-crazy isn''t it?!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may have seen this before but since it''s my all-time favorite non-solitaire round setting, I just had to post it here. Plus you said you liked squarish halos. And it could definitely stand alone, without a w-band. With your 3.37 carat round, the effect will be a lot different, i.e. not much shank will be showing, but it could be totally gorgeous.

It''s SweetVioletBlue''s ring.
SwBpic1abc.jpg

Here''s the side view:
SwBpic3abc.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous ring! BTW, my husband referred to my project last night as trying to put a round stone in a square halo, LOL!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

okay so first off. i don't like the idea of halo'ing a 3c stone. it's just not my thing, i think almost no matter what you do, it looks cocktaily and 'too much' unless you are like a 65 year old granny and can pull it off. so i won't even tell you if i like any of the settings i posted because i just don't think you should do it.

for me i think halo's can get a little out of control. i like the idea of halos to enhance smaller stones, but some of the larger stuff we see, i just don't like it. it's a little too much for me. for the most part, anything i see over 2.5c halo'd never really quite works visually for me.

i guess the question for me is WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE WHEN YOU LOOK DOWN AT YOUR HAND?

because you said you could get bigger like 4.5 and at some point it would start to cover your whole finger but you don't sound like even that would make you super happy. so what is your ultimate goal? chances are very good you will never be 10000% satisfied with the size of a diamond on your hand. i have learned this, and accepted it for myself....i just love big rocks and until i own that 7c ACA, i probably will always think 'it's lookin' just a little small'. however, what goes along with it for me is 'what is realistic'. you made a good point re: wearing your ring. i wouldn't want to wear a 5c or 7c just out anywhere because quite frankly, i think it looks really silly at that point. like fake. the guy at whole foods was telling me this the other day. he sees a lot of big rings and he's like at some point it just seems silly and looks fake. now is that what people want to spend $100k for? so that 80% of everyone else thinks you are silly and fake? maybe some wouldn't care if others thought that, but if you wear your ring out and about on a daily basis, many people would be thinking that at those sizes. i'd just start to feel weirded out by stares. hahaa.

i honestly think that before you do anything else, YOU need to have a heart to heart with yourself on what you want to do. i don't think you really know and unfortunately all of us can tell you what WE think but in reality i think you need to kind of commune with yourself and figure it out. i personally think if you an can afford it, jump to 4c+ and make it count and then put it in a custom solitaire or something like KD's ring where it's a custom ring, made to fit your stone, but it's $2k or $3k rather than $10k or whatever. Then you can still wear it in everyday life without the fear of it being 'over the top' and you have the new bigger size etc.

here is how i will end... on here many of us are sick, diamond obsessed size whores. i have been slowly realizing since getting my upgrade, that the larger you go....even though it eventually shrinks a bit and looks smaller....the rest of the world views it as '*#&! friggin huge'. i think anytime you get past the 3c range on a smallish hand you are really understimating just how large the stone can look on your hand to everyone else. i try to remember this sometimes because when a friend tries my ring on, same size 6 i am, i am like damn that thing is a monster. on my hand it looks 'normal'. but in any case, that's part of the nature of shrinkage. there really is no END to it because you visually get used to seeing whatever you wear on a daily basis. so i'd just keep in the back of your mind, how crazy do i really want everyone around me to think i am?? for me there's a limit personally. haha. i could probably go 3.5c but from that point on, unless we have some super special fancy lifestyle, i think i'd feel like a dork wearing a larger ring or more elaborate piece. it's not like we live in NYC in a penthouse...we are pretty simple in general. diamonds are a fun, expensive hobby. but at some point for me i'm like okay where does the madness end realistically.

just think about it.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I say go to the larger carat size. You are enjoying your current stone and it is lovely but if you find a larger one that meets your specs you''ll want to bounce the current one right out of there. So unless you have a big emotional attachment to the current one, keep looking.

If you want a halo ring I''d say put it on your right hand, maybe with a colored stone. Halo w/ huge stone on wedding hand just doesn''t look as fresh and youthful to me. But on your right hand it has a place, maybe as a favored heirloom looking idea. If you do this you''ll want the bigger ring on left hand so it doesn''t get overwhelmed by the RHR.

Hey, Mara, I don''t mind if some people think the big ring looks fake. It might be better if some people think it is fake, if you get my drift. But I do agree, at some point enuf is enuf and it doesn''t look as pretty as it can.

That said, I used to live in NY and saw unreal stones quite frequently. One time I went into a restaurant and from across the room I could not take my eyes off this lady''s emerald cut. Had to be 10ct. I only ever saw one other 10C on a woman in NY and it didn''t totally turn me on, but somehow this one was a total showstopper. It would be fun (but maybe scary) to wear this kind of thing around from time to time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, you said very well exactly what I was thinking. You should be the PS Dr. Phil, Mara!
2.gif

Dee Jay, a 3 ct. stone is very huge if you go to the grocery store, Home Depot, Walmart, the mall, and other places regular people go. Like Mara said, if you live in the penthouse, a larger stone would be more "normal" for that lifestyle.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m starting to give *myself* a headache, so I can only imagine what I''m doing to the rest of you.

Over the weekend I will spend some time looking at other settings (living by jewelers row is a *good* thing and a *bad* thing!) and see if I come to any conclusions. Really, I don''t want an engagement ringy looking ring, so it''s either got to be more substantial side stones (in which case I probably will get a bigger center stone) or just a more substntial setting over all.

Oh well, now at least I have something to do this weekend to take my mind off the heat!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2006 1:39:57 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Mara, you said very well exactly what I was thinking. You should be the PS Dr. Phil, Mara!
2.gif

Dee Jay, a 3 ct. stone is very huge if you go to the grocery store, Home Depot, Walmart, the mall, and other places regular people go. Like Mara said, if you live in the penthouse, a larger stone would be more ''normal'' for that lifestyle.

This is an interesting point. But I am not sure about the "no pentouse = no big stone" idea. After all, we are buying the ring for our own enjoyment (at least I think). So if you have no price sensitivity then it can be all about what you want and what gives you the most satisfaction.

Another example might be a car. One doesn''t need a Mercedes or whatever to go to Home Depot, Safeway etc, but I sure see a lot of fancy cars at these places! The toyota camry (my car of choice!) provides the same service as a Lexus, but some people just want that Lexus, even if they are basically driving to the same locations.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehee beacon well i don''t know that i''d care if anyone thought it was fake if that 5c just fell into my lap, hell yeah i''d wear it.

but when we are all here agonizing over our purchases, sometimes it helps to get a dose of reality aka what the ''real world'' thinks, not the microcosm of PS. we are all soooooo bling obsessed here which is fab because it''s like minds and people feel good about talking about their madness, but i have been trying to remember that there is a world outside of PS and guess what? we all live in it!! 99% of the time. anyway...just bears thinking about IMO. hearing this whole foods guy talk about the diamonds kind of cracked me up. he said one chick had like a 10c ring on and he said man that''s huge and she goes ''oh this thing, he can afford it''
6.gif
and the whole foods guy was telling me it was just silly to have something like that. i just kind of smirked and thought oh if only you knew buddy!!!!!
9.gif

also recently i have started thinking more about the whole lifestyle thing. i mean sure it''s fun to wear the 5c ring at home, but will you feel wonky going out with it? anyway in the end DJ i think you should do what makes you happiest, but just really keep thinking about it. i don''t think you HAVE to do anything right now, so yes go try on more stuff, get a better feel for what you really like, and think about it more ''long term''...aka if i do this can i see myself with it in 5 years? on PS we all tend to get such ADD about our diamonds and our settings, we always want the next best thing or someone else''s style. there really needs to be some sort of PS diamond swapping program!!!!

lol ds...re dr diamond phil....i just have been having these small epiphanies lately about stuff like this and it''s interesting because i think for me it took me getting my 2.32, a stone that i know is very large to 99% of the people out there, and so it has kind of made me stop and think hmm well of course it could always be bigger, but when does it start to get silly for me to continue with that??? maybe that point is now even! who knows. until then i will just live vicariously through everyone else. and DJ i''d LOVE for you to get that 4.5c stone. mmmmm good.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2006 1:56:49 PM
Author: Beacon

Date: 7/28/2006 1:39:57 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
2.gif

Dee Jay, a 3 ct. stone is very huge if you go to the grocery store, Home Depot, Walmart, the mall, and other places regular people go. Like Mara said, if you live in the penthouse, a larger stone would be more 'normal' for that lifestyle.

This is an interesting point. But I am not sure about the 'no pentouse = no big stone' idea. After all, we are buying the ring for our own enjoyment (at least I think). So if you have no price sensitivity then it can be all about what you want and what gives you the most satisfaction.

Another example might be a car. One doesn't need a Mercedes or whatever to go to Home Depot, Safeway etc, but I sure see a lot of fancy cars at these places! The toyota camry (my car of choice!) provides the same service as a Lexus, but some people just want that Lexus, even if they are basically driving to the same locations.
Let's not use a Mercedes or a Lexus as an example because to me, honestly, those are more upscale yet somewhat mainstream cars now. Like a 2c diamond maybe for a metropolitan area. I'm just talking in general, for purposes of my example.

What about a Ferrari? Or a Lamborghini? Wouldn't it be kinda weird to own one of those cars and renting a $500 a month 1b apartment in the bad side of town, and wearing torn jeans with flip flops? Maybe NOT...because everyone has their own sense of priorities. And I drive my old car with my 2c+ diamond and I don't care because it make me happy. But honestly, if I got the 5c diamond, I'd MAKE myself get a new car first, because at some point stuff starts to look skewed.
9.gif

So for me...something like a big honking stone or whatever in a NYC penthouse just FITS. I think you can still have a big honking stone in a non NYC penthouse and this is not really related to DJ at all but in general for me I kind of feel like at some point you and what you wear should 'fit' what your lifestyle is like. That is what I just mean by a 'realistic' approach aka taking into account what your life is like and how your 'bling' may or may not fit in.

Though maybe PS'ers aren't realistic so it doesn't matter! hehee. As evidenced by my not-new car and my biggie diamond!
5.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2006 1:58:08 PM
Author: Mara

and DJ i''d LOVE for you to get that 4.5c stone. mmmmm good.

Yah, you and my *jeweler* both, LOL!

As for the world I live in; very interesting point. In my financial office I have by far the largest of the stones (but I''m providing some inspiration for a few of my colleagues
28.gif
). As for my real estate life, I have much larger stones than my typical clients, but there are some agents that I work with who make my 3.37 look like a side stone
30.gif

All that being said, however, I''m buying his for me and not for anyone else, so I guess I''ll just have to see this weekend what comes up. I''ll look at some different settings and some 4-5 ct stones next to mine and maybe the lightbulb will go off in one way or another.

(Won''t it be nice to have this DONE? I''m getting a bit weary and I''m sure you all are too... )

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
DeeJay, I do think you have some thinking to do!

None of the settings really wows me (I do like the pear sidestones though!) - I think they start to get so elaborate they can compete with the stone. That''s a lot considering this stone is about 3.5 ct!!!

Only you can decide whether this stone is big enough for you. I personally adore all of these large stones on PS and do my fair share of drooling. But at the end of the day, I don''t want to look down at my hand and know that I''m looking at $80K or whatever that could have been spent elsewhere. Some independently wealthy people who don''t need to consider things like that can and do choose to go and put $100K on a finger and that''s cool, but for me I look down and think okay, $15K or $20K is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than enough already and there are other things I need/want!!! I''m rambling but my other point is that it is true - at some point stones start to just come off as so big they''re fake. Now, who cares what other people think? If you like it, go for it...but make sure you know what you really want, and want to spend the $$ on!!!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I guess it is all about perception. Truth is, in many parts of the country a Mercedes is definitely *not* mainstream. In fact Mercedes ships something like 80% of it''s North American production to California, so I guess it shows how accustomed we are to seeing those cars.

Clearly I agree that the person who has the Ferrari while they are starving to death has an unusual preference set.

I personally wouldn''t feel very comfortable wearing a really huge diamond around all the time. I find myself rolling my 2.27 over so it is on the palm side of my hand quite often. Certainly I don''t need to try and impress strangers in the street - and my stone isn''t even very big in the scheme of things.

I could see (and do contemplate) having my daily wear stone and then a really big fancy one for certain times.

Yup, the PS world is certainly a departure from the "norm". But heck, if you like the stuff (whatever your hobby may be) and you can indulge your interest, why not just do it. Ya don''t live forever.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was talking about lifestyle and size of stone, I was referring back to earlier statements about people feeling "funny" wearing big bling to Home Depot. I think Dee Jay herself said that she might be uncomfortable doing so and included her 5 ct. diamond band in that thought.

I understand it because where I live, my new 1.6 ct. will be large...but not too large to wear to WalMart or Home Depot. ;-)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i totally agree that i buy the diamonds for myself and not anyone else...which is probably why one day i may be sporting the 5c!! hah i wish.

but in reality....at that point i will probably just feel a little weird indulging my diamond obsession. it''s that whole when does it start to just be silly??

kind of like FG said....i don''t know if i ever want to look down at my hand and think ''oh there''s 80k right there''. yikes!!! i don''t even know if i ever want to look down and think ''oh there''s 30k!''. hehee. but maybe one day i will.

i just think that it is important to take into consideration not just what you want to see, but the surroundings and situation around you. of course we all buy for ourselves, to make ourselves happy because we love the sparkly baubles. but the outside world DOES come into play in your real, regular life as well. so i think that us diamond size crazies could do well to consider all the ''facets'' of the potential transaction. that''s all.
9.gif
of course i really need to take my own advice. haaaa.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree about being somewhat reasonable in relation to your surroundings. If I didn''t live in a major metropolitan area and live a lifestyle where it''s not completely *uncommon* to big stones like this I would never even consider it.

Maybe I should move to Podunk, USA. I wouldn''t even have to work, I could just live off the $ I would get by selling all my current jewelry.

Mara, want to be my neighbor?
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HA HA it's an option.
31.gif

we have been kicking around the idea of maybe moving away from here at some point in the next few years, and to a place maybe like austin TX or similar, where we could actually buy a brand new 2500sq ft house (all we really need) straight out, after selling our overpriced california townhouse....can you imagine what you could do if you did not have a mortgage payment every month? oh trust me, i have been imagining it quite a lot. even if we took a pay cut of 1/2 our income, we'd still have a rockin' life with our house paid off and much less 'stress' in our lives from the higher paying job kinda thing. we're just thinking about long-term, what sort of family life and quality of life do we want to have, is staying in the california rat race where we want to be?

plus i have to admit, i keep thinking, wow just imagine the baubles i could buy if we didn't spend a sick amount every month on the mortgage.
9.gif
oh it's tempting. it's VERY tempting.

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
"All that being said, however, I''m buying his for me and not for anyone else"

DeeJay,

I totally agree, get what you want and don''t worry about what anyone else thinks, because in the end, you''re THE ONE that has to be happy
face23.gif

and when you get it, please post pics ASAP
2.gif

lyn

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
All the "facets", yup, got that. I even do this: I look at what this stone is costing me in opportunity cost. Then I consider getting a bigger one and it I hate it! So, if I got something like 37K stone, which would be the next stop, at 5.5% after tax, it "costs" me $2000 per year just to own the stone. Before compounding. Arggh.

Econ major, it really messed me up for buying lux goods.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2006 3:12:13 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Maybe I should move to Podunk, USA.
Is that near Hick-town? Left at Doofusville ... just beyond Peonsburgh?
3.gif
Don''t think all the bling is in the boroughs! When the rest of us crawl out of our mud huts and attempt to walk upright - we head straight to Zales.
2.gif
11.gif

Who doesn''t fantasize about lower-cost-of-living though! And bigger bling! I''d wait it out with the fab stand-in unless a show-stopper makes the choice to trade it in obvious.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the upside of living where I live is that we have 2700 sq. ft. 4 br houses with hardwood floors for $250,000. And you''d have the top 1% of diamond size at 2 cts.
9.gif
Lol!

Mara, our house is paid for (like the example above) and I can''t even imagine CA prices! It is really amazing that anyone can afford to live out there! (It''s a fun place to vacation, though!)

Dee Jay, of course you should get what is right for YOU!!! That''s what a forum is for, though...a place for everyone to express their own opinion!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra - thanks for thinking of me and posting that! I've spent an *inordinate* amount of time on Solomon's site recently and I must have missed that setting.

I went to Steve Quick, which is a boutique jewelry store in Chicago, on Friday because they carry the Beverly K line. They're having the setting that I think I like brought in (although probably not in a big enough size, but at least I'll be able to see what it looks like in person. If I like it I'll have them make it in the right size. If I don't like it I will *explore* the possiblity of upgrading to 4.5 cts or so, or I might just let this one be since I've become oddly fond of it. (There should be some rule about not becoming overly attached to a "temporary" stone, LOL!). And if I do go with a solitare I think I'll reuse my current pears. I saw a round with large side pears (ala KirstyDarling) in Tiffany's on Saturday and I just felt like I needed more size variance (if that makes any sense) between the center and the side stone on my hand. Plus, with the smaller pears I think I could still wear it with my current w-ring and it wouldn't look out of scale.

So at least there is some (although SLOW) progress being made. I don't know how long it will take to get the Beverly K setting in, but I'm hoping not toooooo long becuase I would love to get this whole thing OVER WITH at some point!

BTW, had a funny conversation yesterday with a close friend of mine. She has a drawer full of big jewelry but I think she's bored with it right now. I told her about the idea of going to a bigger stone and she said, "Why? You know you *can*." Translation: What's the point? What are you trying to prove and who are you trying to prove it to? I just love her--she always cuts right to the chase of whatever the issue is! So that was some interesting food for thought... !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results