shape
carat
color
clarity

Snubbed by Whiteflash or just paranoid? Which other vendors to consider?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
NCL - regretfully, we've had a few folks out sick during the end of this week.

Is your question something I could help with?

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 6:36:32 PM
Author: Allison D.
NCL - regretfully, we''ve had a few folks out sick during the end of this week.

First, sorry about the threadjack.

Ali, thank you so much. I apologize that I didn''t see this earlier in the evening! I was wondering what the inner diameter of the halo earrring jackets for 0.3 carat stones is (so I can get an idea of what size stones I would like). Also, can WF make me bezel settings that are different from the ones shown on the website?

Thank you so much again.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 8:36:32 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 10/19/2008 5:30:44 AM
Author: MishB

Date: 10/18/2008 11:30:40 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
CarlyB, have you tried Jogia Diamonds? They are based in Perth, might save you something significant in import tax.

I''d love to be wrong here, but I have always assumed someone always pays the import tax/GST whether it is a person purchasing the stone directly from a OS vendor, or the Australian retailer? So you are saying that Jogia don''t pay import tax/GST on the diamonds they import and sell in Australia, and hence pass this cost on to their customers?
Mish, SC is correct - with most diamond (and other) retailers in Aust, the 10% GST is already built into the price. But when buying from O/S, you need to calculate it and add it on yourself to your budget - with a large purchase like a diamond 10% can = quite a bit, hence why we always like to remind people of it.
There is also 5% import duty, and usually processing fees from the customs agent.
Jogia and other retailers definately do pay GST and duty, which is why they have to pass it onto customers. Like other costs, it will already be built into their pricing structure.

I hope that answers your question..
5.gif
Not really, I''m aware that it is already built into the price, but I am not sure how buying in Australia versus buying directly from a wholesaler OS, ''saves'' import tax, as per Stone-colds post? Built in, or added on, you still pay it right?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 11:14:04 PM

CarlyB, have you tried Jogia Diamonds? They are based in Perth, might save you something significant in import tax.

I''d love to be wrong here, but I have always assumed someone always pays the import tax/GST whether it is a person purchasing the stone directly from a OS vendor, or the Australian retailer? So you are saying that Jogia don''t pay import tax/GST on the diamonds they import and sell in Australia, and hence pass this cost on to their customers?

Mish, SC is correct - with most diamond (and other) retailers in Aust, the 10% GST is already built into the price. But when buying from O/S, you need to calculate it and add it on yourself to your budget - with a large purchase like a diamond 10% can = quite a bit, hence why we always like to remind people of it.

There is also 5% import duty, and usually processing fees from the customs agent.

Jogia and other retailers definately do pay GST and duty, which is why they have to pass it onto customers. Like other costs, it will already be built into their pricing structure.

5.gif

Not really, I''m aware that it is already built into the price, but I am not sure how buying in Australia versus buying directly from a wholesaler OS, ''saves'' import tax, as per Stone-colds post? Built in, or added on, you still pay it right?

Very true...and *usually* once some research is done it seems like vendors in Australia and the UK still can''t compete with the US vendors even considering that you still need to add tax to the price.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 11:14:04 PM

5.gif
Oh sorry Mish, I didn''t quite get that earlier.
I *think* what SC was saying, is due to the current exchange rate, once you add on import/GST etc after converting from US to AUSD$, it doesn''t really work out cheaper at the moment..
Usually, when the xchange rate isn''t so weak, it will work out cheaper buying from a US vendor, as their starting prices are quite a bit cheaper, hence even after adding import, shipping etc its still cheaper to get a stone from a US internet vendor than an Australian B&M or even internet vendor.

But yes, either way you still pay it.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For most people, telephone is a much more efficient way to communicate simply because the exchanges back and forth go so much faster and because both sides know immediately if their communication has been received. A lot of sales people prefer to go in that direction for these reasons and a remarkable number of the consumer complaints that make it onto Pricescope could have been solved by a simple phone call. Obviously yours is something of a special case. I think it’s very unlikely that you are being snubbed, you’re just outside of the normal pattern so they’re not quite so organized at it.

Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of the diamond vendors have been closed off and on for the last 2 weeks because of the Jewish holidays. Even if the people you are talking to are working, it’s very possible that their suppliers are not, and this can cause things to move more slowly than they might normally. Again, this isn't evidence of a snubbing.

As far as taxes go, you are definitely paying them. Customs gets their cut from whoever imports the merchandise. They don’t care if it’s you, a dealer or some sort of middleman. If you buy there, you can bet it’s part of the price. The Queen gets her money and, one way or the other, it’s coming from you.

The question of exchange rates is a more difficult one and it depends on where your jeweler is getting that particular stone. A stone in stock in the US will be sold in USD and a stone in stock in Australia will be priced in AUD and they are likely to stay fixed for at least a short time, say a few weeks while the currencies fluctuate continuously. Beyond that, the prices tend to adjust to be based on what it will cost the dealer to REPLACE it with a new one to be sold to the next buyer. This is really the bottom line for sensible dealers and, for ones who are buying expensive goods like this and selling them with thin margins they ignore it at their peril. Even if your dealer doesn’t own the stone (which is likely), their supplier is watching this and a serious change in the relative value of the currency will translate into a change in the prices.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 10:51:26 PM
Author: nclrgirl

NCL - regretfully, we've had a few folks out sick during the end of this week.

Ali, thank you so much. I apologize that I didn't see this earlier in the evening! I was wondering what the inner diameter of the halo earrring jackets for 0.3 carat stones is (so I can get an idea of what size stones I would like). Also, can WF make me bezel settings that are different from the ones shown on the website?

Thank you so much again.
Hi, NCL: I actually can help with this because I own the small jackets and I had a pair of bezel set sapphires made to wear with them.
1.gif

My bezel sapphires measure 4.5mm, and they set up a touch higher than the halo. If you wanted them totally flush, I think you'd want to go to 4.2-4.3mm.

I believe we can make different bezels as well.

I believe you may have been working with Traci (who was out sick late last week); she's back in today if you'd like to call her.

ETA: I found this thread that might help: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-baby-bezels-in-jackets.75622/
This person has .38 stones bezel set and put into the smaller jackets.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 11:11:39 AM

Date: 10/19/2008 10:51:26 PM
Author: nclrgirl

NCL - regretfully, we''ve had a few folks out sick during the end of this week.

Ali, thank you so much. I apologize that I didn''t see this earlier in the evening! I was wondering what the inner diameter of the halo earrring jackets for 0.3 carat stones is (so I can get an idea of what size stones I would like). Also, can WF make me bezel settings that are different from the ones shown on the website?

Thank you so much again.
Hi, NCL: I actually can help with this because I own the small jackets and I had a pair of bezel set sapphires made to wear with them.
1.gif

My bezel sapphires measure 4.5mm, and they set up a touch higher than the halo. If you wanted them totally flush, I think you''d want to go to 4.2-4.3mm.

I believe we can make different bezels as well.

I believe you may have been working with Traci (who was out sick late last week); she''s back in today if you''d like to call her.

ETA: I found this thread that might help: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-baby-bezels-in-jackets.75622/
This person has .38 stones bezel set and put into the smaller jackets.
Ali, THANK YOU! :D That is exactly what I needed to know!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Ncrl, this might help - this is a 4.5mm bezel stud in the small jackets.

You can see that the rim of the bezel is slightly higher than the plane of the jackets, but it still looks fairly integrated.

Hope that helps.

Bezel stud in jacket.jpg

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Allison, The look that you have for your sapphires is exactly what I''m going for! Thank you so much for all of your help! Thanks to you and Traci, I ordered my bezel diamond studs today!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
WF is generally great by email. With anyone, things can happen with email, but I''m sure WF will be able to give you great service. If you don''t back in 24 hours, it''s fine in my opinion to write another friendly email. I prefer to work over email as well and I made a custom purchase with only one phone call and everything turned out beautifully.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CarlyB.

I worked at buying a stone with Whiteflash about one year ago (haven't bought yet due to my finances and choice). I am writing to tell you that Whiteflash have no problem with working with you, I know because I am a bit hard of hearing and in the UK and Lesley called me back after my first communication and told me it was no problem for me to work through e-mail with them. I know you know it now, but thought I would just back up what they are saying. I also worked with GoodoldGold by email who were great too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results