shape
carat
color
clarity

sneaky peak

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
the waiting is driving me nuts!!!!! ahhhh!!! at least I have one picture to hold me over.... thought I would share
1.gif

its going in a Heart of Water lotus setting, 14k yellow gold... I''m trying to picture it, but I know its going to turn out better than my mind can manage to create

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
wow... it would be awesome if I actually attached the pic... lol, I''m tired and haven''t had any coffee
37.gif

sallys unique ruby.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow!! I love that pad. color. What kind of a stone is it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kas,
Is the star stone provided by Sally? If so, I’d recommend asking her to get a better stone. From the angle shown, the stone is very asymmetrical. While the star is strong, a wavy outline will bother me.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I know its funky
37.gif
, and definately not a desired shape or anything, but I like it and I think it fits me and what I was looking for in this project. I know I could find something in a ''better'' shape for about the same price, but, I really wanted something neat and a little odd, but not a peice of junk. I told her when I contacted her that I was looking for a unique stone, with some character. This really fits the bill in my opinion. I know its not going to be everyone''s taste, but then again ''everyone else'' won''t be wearing it- I will
2.gif
This will probably be my only ''weird'' shaped stone though.

I really do appreciate your advice though, and certainly hold it in high esteem. Sometimes we get too close to something to see its flaws, and I thank you for being nice enough to point them out if you think they are there.

cheers! ~Kara

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand. As long as you are aware of it and it’s exactly what you are looking for, I’m happy and satisfied as well. I am aware that not everyone likes or wants a top stone (as evidenced by my choice of a lighter toned tsavorite) and sometimes the “strange” ones speak to us in words that cannot be described.
2.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chrono, and I really do mean it. I came to this forum as a way to educate myself, and going through stones and seeing their quirks, what''s to like, what''s not to like, is one of those learning tools. Since it seems most of us are here to learn it only seems natural to suggest ''you might want a better shape.'' I''m actually kind of glad you pointed out its weirdness- that''s part of the reason I was drawn to it...

lol, I know what you mean by a gem ''talking'' to you... Sally had shown me a few others, and had actually picked up some others with this one, but when I saw the pic I heard "pppssst! Kara! I''m PERFECT! ok, well not *perfect*perfect,* but still, its me! I''m the ONE!!!"

lol, someone has a signature that says something like "it doesn''t matter if she''s perfect, or even if he''s perfect. As long as they are perfect together." I think that''s what this little guy was trying to tell me, lol

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That’s a really neat story. LOL! And thank you for the compliment.

I am reminded by the bias thread in RT not to push personal preference onto others. It’s a good reminder for us old timers to be reminded that not everyone want a super duper top diamond or gemstone. It’s best to be impartial and as factual as possible. State the flaws and plusses, then step back to let the purchaser decide, as long as the price is commensurate to the quality offered.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
well, with all the junk that''s out there, I think its good to put people in the right direction. so many people just don''t know what good quality is in gemstones... that''s why I''m here,
9.gif
I didn''t want to be another mislead consumer

I think being in the colored stones section in general has a different perspective, especially with so many non-traditional colored e-rings ''round these parts. I know with just my sapphire band I got a lot of "ohmygosh Kara let''s see your ring!!!! oh
33.gif
... well thats, pretty..." HA! I just beam and go "I know!!!
9.gif
Isn''t Jonathon just the best???
30.gif
He didn''t even know I wanted natural sapphires and not diamonds!
41.gif
and so thoughtful of him to get me a cute little band so we can pick out the other one together!!!"

I figure as long as I''m happy with it and paid a reasonable price for what I got, that''s all that matters. I really owe all of my gemstone knowledge to PS and links people post... its been great and I certainly plan to stick around and learn some more

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the lesson on personal preference. I sometimes forget the subjective aspect of color and other qualities in stone selection.

Someone posted on PS a few weeks ago how B.Gavin explained this, and it was quite eloquent. This is out of context, but the gist was that he considered all diamonds beautiful, and respected their uniqueness.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad you''re getting something that YOU like. That''s what it''s all about! Cool star and cool color!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Pink Tower, I would have to agree with so many in colored stones: color is king!! I''ve read countless articles by the experts listed on this site, and when they talk about color, well, its almost like reading a dairy entry. there is so much emotion connected to color, even to play of light. a suncatcher made out of broken glass can even catch my attention if the light hits it at just the right angle.

I''ll have to hunt down that article... it really is poetry when people talk about something dear to them...

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I do like the color on that and odd and unique things are right up my alley...it''s not the same star as the person up the street..it''s got individuallity
1.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
thank you to everyone who looked/commented!
1.gif

szh07: it looks like it has great color, i can''t wait to see it set! it is a corundum... i don''t know if you want to call it a ruby or a sapphire... I''m going to call it pretty
chrono: thank you for all your help and advice
Pink tower: i still haven''t found that article.. do remember the thread or know where I can find it?
stone hunter: thanks for the compliments!
amethystguy: thanks! it''ll be a great little funky gem... totally me :)

I can''t wait to get the ring done!! ahhh!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats for following your heart. You made a superb choice.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
thanks kribbie!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
That''s a really eye-catching color, and the star is so bright. Don''t forget handpics when the piece comes!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
thanks litebrite! I loooove the color! my picture taking skills have been craptastic in the past, but I shall do my best to get some lucky ones, even with my not-so-good-at-macro-hand-me-down-digital...lol

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
How are you going to set it? A lotus?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
It is a very pretty color and a cool looking star on a rugged little stone. I think a hammered style of setting would fit it well. It isn''t meant for a refined halo, IMHO. I like it.
1.gif
36.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a funky cool stone! Has she started it or will it be a while yet?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
szh07: yes it will be set in a lotus, although modified to however will best show off the stone and the setting... I basically told Sally I loved the lotus, the gem, and occasionally suprises, lol
fly gil: i definately agree that its not a halo kind of stone!
packrat: once I paid the deposit Sally said okie dokie and that she''d convo me with good news when it came, 10- 14 days ish but with all the PS action she seems to be getting, I don''t know how busy they are...

so here i sit, twiddling my thumbs and pressing refresh every so often, lol! thanks for hanging in here with me guys!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Cool stone! Can''t wait to see what Sally comes up with for you.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
It is different, but the color is nice, and the stone does have character. I can''t wait to see it set!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool! love the color. How exciting, can''t wait for the IRL pictures once you get it all done!
36.gif

hughsie

Rough_Rock
What a great colour! Looking forward to seeing the pics!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to see the lotus pics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results