shape
carat
color
clarity

Snap! Zap! Have you tried avoidance therapy?? Does it work?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big article in the NYT today about a personal shock device for the wrist. :errrr:
Posters there say a rubberband snapped on the wrist is just as good
AND it actually curbs bad habits, mind loops...everything from smoking to repetitive thoughts.

Any success stories here? I just put a big rubberband on my wrist and am going to snap myself everytime I worry about my adult kid's life today LOL

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Snap! Zap! Have you tried avoidance therapy?? Does it wo

Does avoidance therapy include just avoiding what you are afraid of and/or don't like?
Cause if so then in my case it works. 8-) :lol:

OK sorry about being tongue in cheek there. Didn't realize you were talking about worrying about your DD. Thought it was more about fear of flying/bugs etc.

I am a big fan of talk therapy. As in talk with the person who is the source of stress and anxiety for you. Talk it out and then hug it out. That's my first action after venting about it for hours that is. :cheeky:

And then after talking with the source of the stress I am more at peace knowing I said my mind and shared my feelings and have done the best I can do. You can only do so much Jimmianne. Sometimes our loved ones have to go through some stuff to get to where you are coming from and acquire the wisdom and perspective you already have. Some of that only comes from experience and time. I'm sorry you are dealing with this and I know it will eventually work out. Though right now it is tortuous.

Good luck Jimmianne and hang in there. (((HUGS))).

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I didn't dare mention that it could be used for Bling Addiction! LOL
who would want to be cured of that?!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The article looks more like an advertisement for the shock devices.

I wouldnt call this avoidance therapy. They called it "Counterconditioning" or behavior modification.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/a-shocking-way-really-to-break-bad-habits/

I am skeptical about how it would work for the long-term. We aren't dogs who can be easily conditioned. I can see the human mind pushing through a negative association in order to get back to something that used to supply itself with a very big reward (alcohol, drugs, chocolate!!!) The reward center of the brain is very powerful.

All that being said, I will follow this with great interest!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did it using a rubber band and it worked.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

azstonie|1462287454|4026546 said:
I did it using a rubber band and it worked.

Were you trying to avoid ice cream? As far as I am concerned, this is the biggest question of all!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock

I was in rehab with people who had done it at previous rehabs... Obviously it didn't work for them or they wouldn't have ended up back in rehab! :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Will this work for my addiction ... which is snapping my wrist with a rubber band?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My friend used this about 15 years ago, with a hair band around her wrist. She snapped it everytime she felt like emotional eating or grabbing unhealthy food, and went on to lose 2 stone. She has kept the weight off ever since. I think it's to do with mindset. If you BELIEVE it will work for you, then give it a go! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1462436300|4027514 said:
Will this work for my addiction ... which is snapping my wrist with a rubber band?

No for that addiction you need to snap the rubber band on your face and that will cure your rubber band snapping wrist addiction. And when you have done that I will tell you the next step for breaking your rubber band face snapping addiction. :devil:

Happy snapping.
:lol:

6-rubber-band.jpg

1297593195521_original.jpg

qtation41110.png

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1462436300|4027514 said:

Kenny, how many bands a day are you going through?
that is so sad.
We will help you get back on your feet and win over this affliction!

Missy, you crack me up almost as much as Kenny!

AZ - YESSS!

I believe the actual mechanic of the technique is to immediately distract from an unwanted thought. Basically you are re-wiring around an addiction "loop" in your brain.
You have to want to stop - and have to be motivated to zap yourself.

Kenny, I am thinking that every time you want to zap yourself you should either smoke a cigarette or buy a diamond.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Almost as much?

crying-child.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Reminds me of the punishment that is sometimes done to children to break bad habits such as coating the thumb in a bitter tasting solution to discourage thumb sucking.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well played, Missy. That was hilarious! Kenny, you have met your match. :lol:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol: :lol: :lol: Missy and Kenny!!!

Housie, I feel ya re the ice cream. It was suggested to me when I was over-focused on my soon-to-be-ex husband during our divorce. I was ready to try anything to get it all out of my head.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results