shape
carat
color
clarity

Snakes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
In honor of Halloween, here''s my latest creepy purchase: A Victorian hair bracelet with a snake clasp.

I''m also showing several of my other Victorian snake-themed pieces.

snakesgl1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This latest snake combines two of my favorite strains of Victorian jewelry--jewelry made from the hair of a loved one and the snake, which symbolizes eternity or eternal love. These can be mourning pieces or sentimental tokens of friendship or love.

This bracelet isn't in great shape, and it's unwearable because the elastic that allows it to slip over the wrist is shot. But I loved the snake clasp combined with the hair. The clasp is gold filled, set with turquoises and garnets. The colors make me think it may have been a sentimental rather than a mourning piece.

snakesgl4.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Close up of one of the pins. I believe this is vermeil (gilt silver) with garnet eyes.

snakesgl3.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The back. The T-hinge, C-clasp, and long pin stem are typical Victorian construction.

snakesgl7.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Snake ring, I believe from the turn of the century (1900s). Shown on my scary hand for extra Halloween chills; also visible is my tsavorite ring.

snakesgl5.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Old timers may remember my very best snake, an early Victorian (or perhaps Georgian) cravat pin with a pearl, ruby or garnet eyes, and a lock of hair under glass. I just love this piece. Wish I knew whose hair!

snakesgl2.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The back, showing the hair.

snakesgl6.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I have another nice snake pin, a lot like the bracelet clasp, but it seems to be in the bank at the moment.

Meanwhile, my jet snake bracelet from another recent thread:

jetsnake6.jpg

More views of my best snake:

snakeside1.JPG

snakeback1.JPG

snake2.JPG

And a link to more of my hair jewelry.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
You have the most amazing pieces.

Ohh fun. I cannot believe that is made out of hair!!! How old is that piece??? That''s amazing.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, odd one and bean!

The bracelet is probably from the mid-19th century. I would say no earlier than the 1850s and no later than the 1890s, but probably around the 1860s (that''s a guess).

If anybody else has any nice snakes, feel free to post them!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Glitterata,
I mean this question in all seriousness - do you not get even a lil bit
creeped out wearing long dead people''s hair..?
40.gif

I respect your passion and your collection, don''t get me wrong - I am just curious on your take on the above? Maybe ''creeped out'' is not the right words - perhaps you could tell me your feelings on it, if you don''t mind?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
every piece a winner!You made my holiday weekend!I would take these treats over candy any day!The snake clasp with turq. and garnets is GREAT!I agree that is a sentimental piece that is victorian!It would look very cool on a wide ribbon and worn as a choker!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I want this ring!Cool!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here's how I think about it, AJ:

These pieces were made with love. Someone cared so much about the person that they had their hair turned into a piece of precious jewelry. So if there are vibes or energy associated with the pieces (which I don't actually believe in, but still), they would be happy vibes, loving energy.

It just doesn't feel creepy to me. But I can certainly understand how it could feel creepy to somebody else.

Actually, I have more hesitations about my diamond and colored stone jewelry, because I know that the miners often live in poverty and suffer hardships. I think on the whole my buying the stones probably helps people make a living and is a good thing, but I don't know for sure how much suffering is associated with my stones. So that sometimes makes me feel a little creepy. Not the hair, though. That's just associated with love and deep connections between people.

Lots of people wear strangers' hair even today. Wigs, hair extensions, etc. They just don't have the emotional associations, now that we have photographs to put in our lockets instead.

Jewelerman, so glad you like them!

fogdancer

Shiny_Rock
Dear Glitterata

I saw this piece and that reminds me your avatar, please don't mind if I post it here
Cheers
Monica

3f4b6dabcc842.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool pieces as usual! I adore snakes myself, as a kid I always wanted a pet snake, but my mom was terrified of them. Personally, I thought they'd be a great way to "recycle" the mice she worked with in her labs, but she didn't share my eco-friendly sentiment, haha.

And OMG how have I never seen that tsavorite ring!?! So jealous!!

I think the hair bracelet is cool. And no weirder than people wearing leather or fur (dead skin and hair of animals). Haha, my mom kept all my baby teeth in a little jewelery box, and gave it to me recently. I'm sure if I incorporated them into a bracelet or pendant, she would just love it.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Monica, I love that cameo. The Judgment of Paris, right? A really nice one.

MTG, I think teeth earrings would be so sweet! I''ve actually seen human teeth set in rings from the 19th century. Probably baby teeth. I''ve bid on them but never won. I do have a pin with a row of little animal teeth from that period. I think they''re probably from somebody''s beloved pet dog or cat, though I guess they could be from some wild animal that the owner hunted. I''ll post a photo when the sun''s out.

So funny that your mom worked in a lab with mice but was afraid of snakes.

One of my neighbors rigged up a spider in our elevator today so that when the door opens the spider goes zipping up the wall. Really realistic-looking--it made me scream, and I''m not even scared of spiders.

Happy Halloween!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have such a beautiful collection, thanks for sharing!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool collection. Thank you for sharing all of your information on antique jewelry!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2009 11:30:22 AM
Author: glitterata
Here''s how I think about it, AJ:

These pieces were made with love. Someone cared so much about the person that they had their hair turned into a piece of precious jewelry. So if there are vibes or energy associated with the pieces (which I don''t actually believe in, but still), they would be happy vibes, loving energy.

It just doesn''t feel creepy to me. But I can certainly understand how it could feel creepy to somebody else.

Actually, I have more hesitations about my diamond and colored stone jewelry, because I know that the miners often live in poverty and suffer hardships. I think on the whole my buying the stones probably helps people make a living and is a good thing, but I don''t know for sure how much suffering is associated with my stones. So that sometimes makes me feel a little creepy. Not the hair, though. That''s just associated with love and deep connections between people.

Lots of people wear strangers'' hair even today. Wigs, hair extensions, etc. They just don''t have the emotional associations, now that we have photographs to put in our lockets instead.

Jewelerman, so glad you like them!

Hi G,
thankyou very much for explaining to me how you feel about the topic, I appreciate you taking the time and can definitely understand your POV and what you are saying.

I also know what you mean about the gemstones thing, those thoughts do cross my mind quite often too. I have watched a couple short documentaries about mining practices in small African towns and the issues that surround the workers (speaking coloured gems here, not diamonds), and it for sure gets you thinking..
7.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It''s one reason I mostly buy antiques.

I wish there were a Kimberly Process for colored stones.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2009 10:17:58 AM
It''s one reason I mostly buy antiques.

I wish there were a Kimberly Process for colored stones.

hrrmm..yes that would be one mean feat me thinks!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oops, how did I forget this one? It''s one of my favorite snakes. It''s now a ring, but I''m pretty sure it was once a stick pin. The snake is curled around a tiny ruby, very nice quality but with a chip, alas. It has a tiny pendant pearl that tickles my knuckle when I wear the ring. I love the snake''s teeny tiny face. Mid 19th century, maybe? Earlier? Later? Definitely sometime in the 19th century. I think it''s French, for absolutely no reason.

snakesgl8.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Another shot. Those are my Pearl Paradise metallic freshwaters in the background.

snakesgl9.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/5/2009 5:08:15 PM
Another shot. Those are my Pearl Paradise metallic freshwaters in the background.
Glitterata - has anyone checked the prongs and setting of the ruby? It seems like it might be loose and it would be a pity to lose it. (I know you most likely did, but I decided to err on the safe side)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sweet ring!

cheers--Sharon

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2009 5:25:35 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

Date: 12/5/2009 5:08:15 PM
Glitterata - has anyone checked the prongs and setting of the ruby? It seems like it might be loose and it would be a pity to lose it. (I know you most likely did, but I decided to err on the safe side)
I think one set of prongs might be broken and the other set of prongs no longer touching the ruby?
Wow, the weaving of the hair bracelet is amazing. It is so incredibly well done. While I am not fond of snakes, the detail of your pieces catch my eye and I am unable to stop looking at them.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the compliments.

The prongs are broken, but the ruby is in there tightly. I don''t think the prongs were what''s holding it in. I think the setting is acting as a bezel. It doesn''t budge when prodded with a toothpick. But you''re right, I should take it to a jeweler and make sure it''s safe.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results