shape
carat
color
clarity

Smoky Quartz has arrived….

T

talamasca

Yay, I'm really pleased with my eBay purchase. I have no idea if it's a nice stone or OK cut, etc., but I love it and it's exactly what I wanted!

I started looking for a dark brown gem as I wanted to make a piece of jewellery that reminded me of my precious ikkle poopalah (little puppy), Logan and whilst staring into his lovely big eyes it suddenly occurred to me that that's the colour stone I should get.

Below are the vendors pics and it's not quite as dark as the pics in real life - I'll take some pics tomorrow. It's meant to be a smoky quartz from Madagascar, 10.86 carats and 18 x 13 mm (and from my very rough measuring 5-6 mm deep) octagon shape.

When it arrived it came with a "certificate of authenticity" which states it was removed from some scrap 9k yellow gold pendant!

Anyway, I've decided I definitely want to set it in a white gold ring, but I can't decide whether to go with a bezel setting or diamond halo or other??? Bearing in mind I'd like to keep the stone quite dark and I'm not keen on chunky rings.

I attach a pic of a ring I quite like, but I think the setting would let in too much light?

Any ideas gratefully received :D

Quartz 1.jpg

Quartz 3.jpg

Ring 1.jpg

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Talamasca - I actually think that allowing light in might help emphasize the step cuts in the stone. It looks like a pretty chocolate color!

T

talamasca

Hi dragonfly, it's not as dark as the vendor pic. Here's a couple I took:

4.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What a cute idea to do a ring in the same chocolate color as your dear dog :) This stone could be more lively though.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
That's a sweet idea. :))

I have a smoky quartz ring. My dad bought the stone for me when I was about twelve and I had it set by Julia Kay Taylor. It's not a really pretty stone but it's sentimental.

JKT Picture of Smoky Quartz Ring.jpg

Smoky Quartz JKT Ring.jpg

robinow

Rough_Rock
Talamasca,

Did you ever set this stone? I have a stone that is almost identical and have been struggling with finding the perfect ring setting.

Best,
Wendy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results