shape
carat
color
clarity

Smokey Quartz?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Couture

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have opinions on smokey quartz stones???

I saw a white gold or platinum ring with a solitaire smokey quartz, it was a very pillowish cushion cut if I remember correctly, that was probably the size of a 3 ct. It would be a right hand ring.
Brown is my favorite color and I really like smokey quartz, but I just wanted to hear other opinions on it.

Thanks
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think smoky quartz is beautiful! I am also a big fan of browns/earth tones. I have seen some gorgeous smoky quartz rings set in yellow and white gold in the past... but I was in my very early twenties and everything I saw was a larger (3+carat) stone, and I felt like they were too "big" for me. I don''t know what I was thinking!!! I''m almost 30 now, and my tastes have certainly changed, size-wise. I think the 3 c. cushion cut you''re describing sounds lovely for a right hand ring! So WHEN you get it, please post pictures, lol!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks a bit green on my monitor.....

movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2006 11:11:00 AM
Author: movie zombie
looks a bit green on my monitor.....

movie zombie

Golden on mine! (more like dravite tourmaline - never seen a sapphire quite like the picture) ... that''s funny (or not)
9.gif

Couture

Rough_Rock
Oooh, Beautiful. I love the dark brown on the Nordstrom website, the NM one is really pretty too. If I get one, I know I want it to be really dark, basic brown. No tints of orange or green.

I was also thinking it would be pretty with Morganite, but I don''t know what I would do with that...
Maybe a big cushion Morganite with Smokey quarts traps on the sides??? (Traps are the ones that look like half of a hectagon right?)

Thanks everyone!! If I do get one, I will post pictures for sure!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couture, I love smokey quartz! I have a pair of smokey quartz dangle earrings that a friend of mine made while we were in college[that means many, many years ago!]. They still look great to this day. I say go for it!! I really love the NM rings.
emlove.gif
I think a 3 ct RHR would be great.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you like those earth tones, but want to move up from a smokey quartz, you may consider a sunset tourmaline, or a zircon. Zircons are available in from browns, to golden browns and grayish. The zircon will have a lot more flash than the smokey quartz too.

Here''s a picture of a sunset tourmaline on the left, and a brown zircon on the right.

Earthtones.JPG

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like smoky quartz too! One of my favorite earrings was a pair of smoky quartz rounds, lighter shade so could see the color. I don''t like it when it is too dark. The stone itself is not expensive, so you shouldn''t spend alot of money for the stone.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh MZ... this one from the Reeds site is GORGEOUS! Great find!

smokyqrtz.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
why thank you LizzieC!

i like the sparkle of zircon but the color of smoky quartz w/o the red/orange overtones is something i really like. rather than zircon, i''d go with a garnet to get those red/orange overtones....i''d be giving up ''sparkle'' but i''d be getting a more durable stone without any type of enhancements.

i do hope if anyone buys something that pictures will be posted immediately!

movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2006 10:14:40 PM
Author: movie zombie
why thank you LizzieC!

i do hope if anyone buys something that pictures will be posted immediately!

movie zombie
Here is a picture of my smokey quartz earrings that a college buddy made many years ago. She loved to tumble stones in her garage and I was always a willing recipient! I wish we had some sun here so you could see the color better. They are a very nice brown.

cmssmoqurtz.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If building something around a fancy stone is out of the question,

... and designerish things are ''in''...

you may want to check out these guys:

http://www.kanemarie.com

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
very nice, Catmom!

movie zombie

gemnut

Shiny_Rock
Smokey Quartz is a little too drab for me in a ring, but I absolutely LOVE this necklace & earrings set I picked up last year.

SM0298.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results