shape
carat
color
clarity

smallest prongs? pics?

hann

Rough_Rock
I'm wanting as small prong tips as possible so that the diamond can be displayed in all its glory.

I read briefly about cartier having one of the tiniest around, but i'm not able to get solid pics to show my jeweler..
would cartier happen to have the smallest now? or are there even smaller ones, that of course, do not compromise security of the stone?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smaller prongs are less safe... (all other things being equal, like workmanship, metal alloy, treatments etc.)
Even Cartier can't argue with physics.

Prongs can get caught and get bent by just putting on a sweater.
Often the owner does not know what even bent the prongs or when they bent.
All she knows is her diamond is gone.
Just because they make something, or it is in style, does not mean it is safe enough for every day wear and tear.

Before some sensitive insecure poster accuses me of hatred for what she has, let me say that what I really hate is lost diamonds.

If you want a diamond to be as exposed as possible in all its glory set in metal that is not going to bend consider a tension setting.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You for sure don't want to go too small w/prongs. As Kenny said, too small of prongs cause more risk of loosing the stone. The option would be to get a setting with more prongs to make up for the tiny size of all the prongs, I suppose??? That would create a delicate look.

I was looking at your other post...You're looking at a diamond of .47? My .42 looks great with four solid prongs and still shows "all its glory." Also, I have a .38 that is bezel and even in a bezel it dazzles. FWIW, I had a diamond that was a .404 that was set with delicate prongs, but it was a pendant. I would never have had those size of prongs for a ring as I'm a bit clumsy...

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know about Cartier, but my ring has the tiniest prongs I've ever seen in my life. It was custom made in Russia.
I believe the prongs are platinum and the stone is about 5mm.
Pics to illustrate:

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think most prongs very rarely look that big in person anyway. In extreme close up photos they look big but in real life they aren't.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon Mege makes the smallest I know of, and the basket setting probably helps make them safer. I don't think just any jeweler can do these, though. I'd probably have Leon, Steven Kirsch, or Victor Canera make the ring if I wanted tiny prongs.

IMG_2158.JPG

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1323889020|3081534 said:
Leon Mege makes the smallest I know of, and the basket setting probably helps make them safer. I don't think just any jeweler can do these, though. I'd probably have Leon, Steven Kirsch, or Victor Canera make the ring if I wanted tiny prongs.

VC's prongs aren't small at all actually - they're very nicely and precisely shaped, and symmetric, but they have some bulk to them. Which I prefer anyway personally, for safety.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
perhaps you want 'claw' prongs vs. 'bead' or 'tab' prongs?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a very interesting discussion from my perspective.
A lot of folks have asked us to make smaller prongs- but of course that would be a terrible idea as Kenny mentions.
Close up photography emphasizes things we can't notice in real life with our eyes.

But as SLG mentioned, there are different types of prongs.
On hand forged pieces "claw" prongs are possible- and these are generally smaller than prongs on cast rings.
There is no "one" maker who's prongs are smaller than all others- but this is one areas where the skill of the shop really does come into play. Only the best shops can do proper claw prongs

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1323890723|3081552 said:
It is a very interesting discussion from my perspective.
A lot of folks have asked us to make smaller prongs- but of course that would be a terrible idea as Kenny mentions.
Close up photography emphasizes things we can't notice in real life with our eyes.

But as SLG mentioned, there are different types of prongs.
On hand forged pieces "claw" prongs are possible- and these are generally smaller than prongs on cast rings.
There is no "one" maker who's prongs are smaller than all others- but this is one areas where the skill of the shop really does come into play. Only the best shops can do proper claw prongs

Why would it not be possible to hand-finish cast prongs to be as clawed and dainty as handforged prongs? Is this a metal density issue or something?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Claw prongs are actual wires that are hand finished.
As discussed in the other thread, a cast wire will never have the same properties as an extruded wire.
So, in my experience, no, cast prongs will never look like true "claw" pongs

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1323891640|3081564 said:
Claw prongs are actual wires that are hand finished.
As discussed in the other thread, a cast wire will never have the same properties as an extruded wire.
So, in my experience, no, cast prongs will never look like true "claw" pongs

I don't follow, why couldn't you force molten metal into a claw-like shape and then file/finish it further to be equally "clawed"?

Can you not do it, or can you do it but the result wouldn't be as sturdy?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The problem is that you'd need to cast quite massive prong to be able to have enough metal to shave it down to get the result- and it's far more difficult to work the metal that way. It's likely to crack at the base
So, it might work for a very large stone.....but it's problematic
Even then, you'll never get a cast prong polished like an extruded wire.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay. And polish I understand - that is a metal density issue.
Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually did not request small prong tips. That is just the way he made them. And I never had any trouble maybe because he sets the stones so low. That said, I am changing my setting to this, which I prefer for many reasons, but I believe it will be more secure. It is a repro of the real Tiffany setting:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/images/classicjewelry/Vatche/U113/collage.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Leon's prongs are my favourite. They are not small but I find them sharp and delicate like a claw. Love it.

hann

Rough_Rock
slg47|1323889646|3081542 said:

I should find out more about these prongs u talk about... any leads?

thanks for all the advice guys.. perhaps i'm a lil too sensitive about the prongs =)

I must have left out such observation when I was at the shop yesterday, but i do know i wasn't bothered at all by the size of the prongs, so that should pretty well speak for itself.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
hann|1323913252|3081806 said:
slg47|1323889646|3081542 said:

I should find out more about these prongs u talk about... any leads?

thanks for all the advice guys.. perhaps i'm a lil too sensitive about the prongs =)

I must have left out such observation when I was at the shop yesterday, but i do know i wasn't bothered at all by the size of the prongs, so that should pretty well speak for itself.

if you use google image search you should find lots of pictures! if you weren't bothered by the size of prongs in the store then I think you are fine.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need to seek a balance between small prongs and safety.

hann

Rough_Rock
yeah my jeweler just reminded me today too haha. better a slightly bigger prong than a lost diamond!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We're looking at the wrong ball here- it's not the size of the prong nearly as much as other factors.
A smaller prong made ( claw prong) from an extruded wire may very well be more secure as compared to a much larger prong which is cast.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results