shape
carat
color
clarity

Smaller Diamond Solitaires

LunaStar

Rough_Rock
Sometimes it seems to me that smaller diamonds that are in a solitaire setting look more genuine and have a prettier shimmer in the light. Have any of you ever noticed this or have I just been lucky enough to see many beautiful small diamond rings?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe you haven't seen very many well-cut larger diamonds (whatever "larger" is in your realm.) Cut is king. It might be that the smaller solitaires have better-cut diamonds that perform better than the larger diamonds that you've encountered. There are lots of poor, fair, and good cut stones out there that were cut to maximize weight and profit, not for performance.
The larger diamonds that savvy Priscope people have chosen may change your mind about size.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sort of understand what the OP is trying to say.
Diamonds of different carat sizes show different optical characteristics.

Regardless of the carat weight. all MRB has 57~58 facets. Therefore larger diamond have larger facets and therefore produce larger fire and flashes and reflections. A smaller diamond may give an optical illusion that it produces more concentrated light reflection on a solitaire setting. They are just perceived differently. What pleases the most is upto the wearer's preference.

A good diamond shows nice balance between brightness and contract, which affects brilliance.
Using the same principle for an entire ring, I do agree that a smaller diamond may create a better balance between brightness (diamond) and contrast (setting), therefore it "shimmers" more as the OP said

I adore a Tiffany solitaire with a 0.25~0.5c stone

What is more noticeable and lively? the Sun during daytime or tiny candle light at night?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LunaStar|1479583249|4100591 said:
Sometimes it seems to me that smaller diamonds that are in a solitaire setting look more genuine and have a prettier shimmer in the light. Have any of you ever noticed this or have I just been lucky enough to see many beautiful small diamond rings?

People in the UK prefer them and make fun of big diamonds. Like 'who does she think she is? The Queen of England?'

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
I know what you mean. I have the highest quality 2ct money can buy, it is the best of cut, Clarity and colour so I know what a good diamond looks like. One of my closest friends has a smaller solitare, about 0.8-1ct if I was to guess and it is obviously very high quality. There is something so elegant and beautiful about it. The metal looks really shiney too and I find myself staring at her hand. She has long slender fingers (unlike my short little fingers) and is conservative in her taste of jewelry, she never wears costume jewelry or anything big or chunky and her clothing style is very sleek and understated but polished. She also wears her wedding ring (a slim gold band) ring on her right hand so her solitare is alone.
Every time I see her I think what class and taste she has. I am British and she is from LA. I am going to tell her next time how nice it looks :).

Aurora43

Rough_Rock
I have seen solitaires that were a little less than a carat that looked much more beautiful than diamonds of 3 or 4 carats sold by the same retailer. I think sometimes it just depends on where you are purchasing the ring from that determines how beautiful the stone looks. Some retailers who are just starting out may have larger diamonds that are not of as great a quality as their smaller diamonds because they simply cannot afford to purchase high quality large diamonds until their business has become more successful.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I gave the answer I did because that was my own personal experience. I saw many large bland and lifeless diamonds, and never saw superb large diamonds until I joined Pricescope. When I got engaged in the 1990s, I told the man "I don't like large diamonds." :lol: One woman in my workplace had at least a 1.5 ct marquise, big white, and ... dead. One had about a 7.5mm RB that looked large, cloudy, and dead. I always thought it might be a cz. One received about a 2ct RB from her husband for an anniversary, and it was large and white but bland. There are lots of so-so large stones out there, and the Pricescope quality is still quite rare.

There is still snob appeal in hitting the 1ct, or 1.5ct, or 2ct, etc. weight, and to some, that is more important than getting a top performer.

LunaStar

Rough_Rock
Pyramid|1479671141|4100837 said:
LunaStar|1479583249|4100591 said:

People in the UK prefer them and make fun of big diamonds. Like 'who does she think she is? The Queen of England?'

Really? I did not know this. I have never made fun of big diamonds. However, I do admit that some of them look a bit flashy depending on how big and what style they are. I guess I am just one who prefers a more subtle look when it comes to jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results