shape
carat
color
clarity

Small solitaire pendant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jerbop

Rough_Rock
I am looking to purchase a small (.25-.33 carat) solitaire pendant for my girlfriend. I have a few questions: 1) Will it be too small? 2) Is purchasing a solitaire that size a waste of money? 3) Do any of you have pictures of solitaire pendants that size that you can post?

I am also torn between a traditional basket setting, a full bezel setting, and a half bezel setting for a diamond that small. Here are a few of the pendants I am considering:

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=5075&x=20&y=9

https://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WFP-hlfbzl&CategID=7

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=4854&x=25&y=10

I would buy the whiteflash half-bezel pendant with a .25 carat ACA round diamond. The last one is a princess-cut pendant. What are your thoughts on princess vs. round for a pendant that small? Bezel vs. half-bezel? Price is definitely a concern for me and I''m probably not looking to spend more than $500-$600. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey jerbop! welcome to ps!
35.gif

i''m probably in the minority here, but i don''t think that size pendant is too small. it is simple and understated. very nice, imo.
as far as which shape, i would go with a round. it''s harder to get a princess with great sparkle.

here is a thread with lots of very nice pendants of varying sizes and settings.

best of luck to you!!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here is mine, which is close to the size you''re looking at. It''s .36ct, H, SI2 H&A as modeled by my sister.

Pendant%20on%20neck.jpg

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
hey there,

Here is a picture of my .30 bezel set dia pendant. I think it''s a pretty size, not too large. I''m not sure if you noticed, but the semi bezel from WF is $380 and does not include a diamond. That eats up more than half of your budget, you may have a very hard time finding a diamond for $220. I bet you could find a nice diamond in the $450 - $500 range and then get a white gold setting instead of the platinum setting from WF.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you get!

I wish you well,

Bridget

Neck shot dia pendant.jpeg

jerbop

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I should have noted that my girlfriend is extremely petite (5''0'''', 100 pounds). I recently purchased a pair of whiteflash 0.3 total carat weight (.15 each) expert selection diamond studs for her and they engulf her ear lobes -- and I thought they would be too small. :) So, I think a smaller diamond would look okay given her frame size.

As for the half bezel from whiteflash, I spoke to Bob and I could get the setting in white gold for $245 and a .25 carat ACA round would be $300 for a total of $545. Not too bad.

Also, I have seen posts with concerns over the pendant flipping. Is this a big problem? Are there specific settings that cut down on the flipping? Thanks again!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a .38c H VS Regent set into a 4 prong pendant and adore it...I wear it daily. It is the only piece of jewelry that gets as much wear as my w/e-ring. I am 5'8" so decently tall with wide shoulders and I still think this is a nice size for my neck.

It's a great size for subtle IMO...I want a bigger pendant eventually but this is great for daily wear and I would still wear it even if I had a bigger one.

Re: the flipping, there was a post in the past re: preventing this...have to say that my Regent rarely flips...I don't know why it happens more or less, but I think Garry noted in the past that it had something to do with how the basket was set onto the pendant? Anyhow...mention this as a concern to whoever you use for the pendant. GOG set my pendant for me...I would probably use either them or WF for something like this.

Oh and re: pendants...what about considering a small Regent instead of a round? My pendant actually almost appears round but it is so slightly cushion shaped, and it throws off alot of fire and sparkles on the neck...maybe more than a regular round brilliant. Or maybe I am biased.
2.gif

Good luck and have fun!!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Jerbop- my sister, who''s modeling my pendant in my posts above, is close to your girlfriend''s size, just to give you perspective. She''s 5''4" and 110.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2005 1:23:44 PM
Author:jerbop
I am looking to purchase a small (.25-.33 carat) solitaire pendant for my girlfriend. I have a few questions: 1) Will it be too small?

I don''t think so either - I have a girlfriend who received a .10ct diamond pendant from her bf - it''s lovely, and looks great on her. She is about 5''1", 115.

Date: 5/18/2005 1:23:44 PM
Author:jerbop
2) Is purchasing a solitaire that size a waste of money?

Any gift given in love is a good use of your effort/money. It''s the thought that counts.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2005 2:00:57 PM
Author: jerbop

As for the half bezel from whiteflash, I spoke to Bob and I could get the setting in white gold for $245 and a .25 carat ACA round would be $300 for a total of $545. Not too bad.

Also, I have seen posts with concerns over the pendant flipping. Is this a big problem? Are there specific settings that cut down on the flipping? Thanks again!
The pendant would be great ! And definitely not "small" - even half that weight and the look of a sparkling point of light looks great even from a distance, IMO.

If the bezel is attached to the chain about half way above the diameter it should not flip... And that''s what the bezel settings at WF look like anyway.

jerbop

Rough_Rock
Good to hear that the Whiteflash settings don''t flip. Thats the most likely direction I''ll end up going. Thanks to everyone for the help!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
best of luck to you! be sure and let us know what you decide!
36.gif

jerbop

Rough_Rock
I decided to go with the half bezel pendant from WF with a .25 ct ACA diamond. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will post pictures as soon as Bob sends them my way.

Laralooblue

Shiny_Rock
FWIW, I already *chose* the Whiteflash one as my favorite before I read your final selection. Love it!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What about one of these two? The round is .38 and set in (si1/g) white gold and is 395$ and the princess (si1/g) .35 wg and is 425$. Both are within your price range.

roundvsprincess.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Just saw that you had gone with Whiteflash! Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results