shape
carat
color
clarity

small rant and What do you think BF will get you for Christmas ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Small rant

My Bf has been bugging me as to what I want for christmas and my birthday - both of which are around the same time. Soon my family will pester me too.

I'm a simple woman and have basicaly all my worldly needs met, so it's realy hard for me to come up with anything I want (except an e-ring which I refuse to ask for).

Idealy I'd opt out of the whole gift-recieving thing. My problem is that all the cheap things I want (under $15 dollars - food cosmetics etc.) I buy for myself, and all the expensive things that I want ($100 plus - jewellery, clothing, consumer electronics) I also buy for myself because I don't feel comfortable with asking friends and family for something so expensive (especialy because I'm super picky and don't want folks to shell out for something I don't LOVE).

All the gift price range items ($20-$75) I don't realy need.

I could open the pandoras box that is ETSY to look for gift ideas, but that gives rise to infinite wants, which I don't like the feeling of either.

I've struggled with this problem my whole life.

Bah consumerism! Why is asking for no gifts harder than asking for gifts?

What do you think your BF will get you for Christmas?

I think mine might get me a new digital camera with a good macro for jewel shots
9.gif

He hinted that he's getting me "something awesome" and I don't think he means a hotdog.

(BF already bought me a fancy watch as an early birthday present. BF is getting a kindle for his birthday and a quick swap harddrive enclosure and some computer cables for christmas)

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Um, we seem to have a problem with early gift shopping and giving.

My boyfriend already got me a sterling silver byzantine bracelet that I wanted (and gave it to me). Also, just today we ordered (2) 1/4ctw channel-set diamond bands (for my right hand). Those should be delivered in the beginning of December, and I will get to wear them as soon as they arrive. I know he''s also getting me a perfume I want, and I don''t know what else.

I''m a lucky girl, he spoils me. Luckily for him, I spoil him right back
2.gif

Parsley

Shiny_Rock
Gift giving between us has always been kinda odd. I love giving gifts, especially to him, any time of the year. I see something and think it will make him smile, and I get it. Every occasion I''ll ask if there''s anything he specifically wants, and when (never if) he says no, then I''ll get my thinking cap on and browse and browse and browse till I can find something he''d really like that I''ve put thought into.

He on the other hand doesn''t seem to have the idea of thinking of something I''d love, rather go with the easiest simplest option. Last Christmas I needed some new trainers, and was out shopping for them. He seized this opportunity, and bought them for me instead. Stuff like this happens a lot. It''s not that I don''t appreciate that he got me something, not at all, I''d just like to know he sat and thought for a minute or two at least. Even if it was just something extra for a quid that he thought might make me smile. It''s not something I can blame him for, it''s the way he is! I was a bit hurt at my 21st birthday though...he bought me perfume (with me there) for £25. Which is fine, he couldn''t afford anything massive. But then, the week before and the week of my birthday he went out with his friends and spend £40 each night. Like I said, it''s not that I''m not appreciative, I just feel like he could have got me a little surprise, it being my 21st and all...even flowers would have suited me down to the ground, I''ve got them once in the 2.5 years we''ve been together! *sigh*

So this year...I think I''ve got a purse (purse in the english sense of the word). We were going to do a £5 limit, but then I saw a dvd he really wanted, and got him a little pocket watch as well, nothing expensive, just under £30 altogher. I wasn''t going to tell him, but he got it out of me that it wasn''t £5. I mentioned a week or two ago that my purse was falling apart, so I''m sure he''ll grab hold of that! He went to the outlet centre yesterday to get it, so he got a bargain too.

P
xxx

(Wow I sound bitter in that post. I''m not, just long day *yawn*)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
We''re pretty bad at getting gifts for each other. Well, not bad....just....well, okay, kind of bad. Luckily we do no-guilt gift giving, so if we don''t like it, we take it back and shop together! I''m hoping to get him a Dutch national football jersey when I''m in the Netherlands next month (he collects jerseys from different countries), so that should be good. I''m just nervous because I can''t return it if he doesn''t like it!

He''ll get me.....I have no clue. We''ll just see, I guess. We didn''t set a price limit this year, but we''re still pretty broke so it won''t be anything extravagant. Probably nothing over $100.

caribari

Rough_Rock
SO is incredibly generous and spoils me rotten. To make matters worse for him, my birthday is right around the holidays, so he has to think of two things =) He knows I need a new bag, and that I always love jewelry, so I think that’s what I’ll be getting.

Buying things for him is difficult. Mostly because whenever he wants something, he just goes out and buys it. This year I made him write a list of about 10 presents he would like, with the idea of choosing a couple of gifts. Unfortunately they are mostly THRILLING things like “new nalgene,” “picture frame for diploma.” He actually put "Cholula" on his list. Most likely I’ll go wander around Best Buy for awhile and try to find something!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure what I will be getting this Christmas. The budget is tight as he hasn''t had a job since April. So I kind of feel like I can''t much ask for anything either. He gave me a lovely RHR for my July birthday so I can''t complain too much. Thus far I haven''t asked for anything. However, that isn''t to say when we are out, I point out all sorts of things I like...

MrsHToBe

Shiny_Rock
I''ll admit it.. Mr. H spoils me rotten. I''ve never asked for anything in particular from him, which to him means buy as much as I can, lol. He takes Christmas really seriously, I guess (he goes all-out for everyone, really).
3.gif

This year, the only thing on ''my list'' would be an e-ring, although I''d never tell him that. I''m actually sort of hoping it''ll happen before Christmas, anyway. As for what he''ll get me, I assume it''ll be perfume (he''s gotten me a bottle, or 2 the past 9 years we''ve been together). As bad as it sounds, as long as I get the ring (before the end of the year, even--our timeline), I''ll be over the moon. Christmas is more about getting our family together, to me.
I''m still not sure what I''ll be getting him, TBH.. he says he doesn''t want anything, which gives me nothing to go on, lol. Maybe a gift card so he can get some books, some cologne, and I found a cute sock monkey on etsy I''d love to get him (I call him my sexy Monkey
31.gif
). We shall see!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I think he''ll get me Sperry''s .... or the Coach purse I want.... or both.
11.gif

4ever

Ideal_Rock
We usually shop together for each others Christmas presents and buy what the other asks for. I don''t know yet what I''ll be getting him (there is some aftershave he want''s but it''s not cheap) and I have yet to request somthing off him but I''m thinking a nice new bag or shoes or dress or somthing.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I honestly have NO idea what FF will be getting me for Christmas. It''s not big in his family, so last year was the first year he''d bought a Christmas present for anyone, really, and he bought me a lovely necklace...and neither of us really need anything, nor do we really have the space for anything else in the house!

If he asks for ideas, I think I''m going to ask for a Gift Certificate to a Spa...I''d really like to go for a full day of pampering...or at least a few hours...and it''s something I would never buy for myself. I''m very in to spoiling other people and competely ignoring myself.
3.gif
He *did* offer to buy me this one dress I tried on and loved, but didn''t really have an occasion for, but I turned him down b/c it also had beading under arms and I think that would have driven me nuts after awhile.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Well we kind of already gave each other our gifts...which were our kittens. We said no other gifts this Christmas (or really, anniversary, and birthday, since they''re expensive little stinkers, lol). Though I''m looking for something small that I can get him anyway, since I like to buy things
1.gif

I do know that for graduation, I''m probably going to get him a Kindle. Since he''ll be doing a lot of traveling, I''m hoping it''ll be useful, and if I link it to my account, he can get access to all the books I already have on mine.

ChocolateLover

Rough_Rock
I''ll likely get my BF some sort of tool he drools over in the hardware catalogue that I''d have no idea what to do with. My BF isn''t very good at organized gift-giving, but he''s very generous to me at other random times in the year! Its better for him to buy me things he knows I want or need (at the time) that I''d never buy for myself.

He''s also recently (in the past several months) taken up buying me flowers at random times which I LOVE!

The more difficult question is - what do we get for our parents?!!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Do you like wine? I''m getting a vinturi for my birthday.

Vinturi

Its seriously amazing if you like red wine. The thing works wonders!!! I''m so excited to have one soon. Its a good mid level gift price too and very unique.

For xmas he''s taking me clothes shopping for a few items since i''m in desperate need of a wardrobe update. I''m pretty frugal about clothes anyway, but I won''t let him spend more than $60-$70 on me.

NCSUchick27

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea what SO is getting me for Christmas.

I got him a watch from REI that he has been wanting. He is so easy to shop for because I can pick pretty much anything at REI and he will be happy.

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Hopedream,

If your bf is insistent on getting you something, what about a gift certificate for Kiva.org? If you''re not familiar with the website, the money the gifter puts down for the GC can be used for micro-loans to small businesses around the world. Once the business owner is able to pay you back, I think you can re-invest in another small business and so on. I had a friend who got one as a gift and he really liked it.

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
One of my hobbies is tap dancing, but I''ve had the same shoes for about 8 years and they''re pretty worn. So I''m pretty sure he''s taking me to get some new ones!

I''m buying him a bike trainer, so he can set his bicycle on it and exercise when it gets too cold to ride outside!

Maybe you could consider asking for some kind of ''experience'' gift, like group gourmet cooking lessons for the two of you (or something else to do together!). That would probably be in the intermediate price range and isn''t materialistic. Two birds, one stone.

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/24/2009 10:07:05 PM
Author: rierie26
Hopedream,

If your bf is insistent on getting you something, what about a gift certificate for Kiva.org? If you''re not familiar with the website, the money the gifter puts down for the GC can be used for micro-loans to small businesses around the world. Once the business owner is able to pay you back, I think you can re-invest in another small business and so on. I had a friend who got one as a gift and he really liked it.

Ok, that is way less materialistic than my idea. What a generous gift!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies, it soind like you''re going to give and recieve a wide range of exciting gifts.

Calliso that Vinturi sounds cool - I should get one for my dad - he loves red wine!

RieRie26 - I love the idea of microloans - I''ll have to mention it to my family and se if they''d be willing to make a donation on my behalf
1.gif

Babycush - an experience could be awsome - lately I''ve been toying with the idea of asking the chef of my favorite Japanese restaurant to do a custom meal of a whole bunch of tiny courses (gourmet style) for my BF and I and just have him surprise us with a series of fun creations for $50/ plate or so.

Hmmm... so many great ideas! Thanks!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Happy almost thanksgiving!

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure what he''ll get me, but he spoils me, as well. My birthday is in December as well, so he always buys me a bunch of presents. Not anything too expensive, but very thoughtful things that he knows I''m interested in, like books, movies, etc. He also likes to surprise me, so I don''t really know...which drives me nuts, but it''s awesome at the same time!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 12:53:23 AM
Author: HopeDream
Hi ladies, it soind like you''re going to give and recieve a wide range of exciting gifts.

Calliso that Vinturi sounds cool - I should get one for my dad - he loves red wine!

Definitely do! I bought one for my SUPER PICKY dad for his birthday last year. And its one of maybe 5 gifts I''ve given him in his life (that he didn''t pick out himself) that he really genuinely liked. He takes it everywhere now, anytime we go to a party or anything.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i''m pretty positive i''m getting a jacket and a helmet for riding on the back of his motorcycle
5.gif

other than that i don''t know what he''ll come up with this year.
and i need to go shopping soon for him
9.gif

hellosydney

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend is taking me to the Bahamas third week in January so I don''t expect I''ll be getting anything extravagant for the holidays. He usually asks what I want and I was *considering* a Kindle 2 but I haven''t decided for sure yet. I''ll probably get him clothing; he always asks for my opinion and likes when I dress him.
9.gif

Also, sorry to ask this here but can someone tell me how to send a PM? I looked quickly but didn''t see a button or anything. I''ll be embarrassed if it''s super obvious!!
3.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 1:56:57 PM
Author: hellosydney
My boyfriend is taking me to the Bahamas third week in January so I don''t expect I''ll be getting anything extravagant for the holidays. He usually asks what I want and I was *considering* a Kindle 2 but I haven''t decided for sure yet. I''ll probably get him clothing; he always asks for my opinion and likes when I dress him.
9.gif

Also, sorry to ask this here but can someone tell me how to send a PM? I looked quickly but didn''t see a button or anything. I''ll be embarrassed if it''s super obvious!!
3.gif
We actually don''t have them on PS, so no worries, you didn''t miss anything. If you have any questions on why we don''t have them, feel free to contact the Mods and ask.

HTH!

hellosydney

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 2:09:56 PM
Author: princesss
Date: 11/25/2009 1:56:57 PM

Author: hellosydney

9.gif

3.gif

We actually don''t have them on PS, so no worries, you didn''t miss anything. If you have any questions on why we don''t have them, feel free to contact the Mods and ask.

HTH!

Ah, okay! I saw a custom setting I liked and the OP said to PM him if I wanted the jeweler''s information so I figured I was just a lousy navigator around the website! Thanks for the quick reply.
1.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Gift idea for your guys (or you even) if he likes coffee. I just bought myself a Dolce-Gusto pod coffee machine and love it. Kuerig is also a great brand. They run around $100-$180. They''re fool proof, easy to use and taste better than Starbucks. Coffee in less than 60 seconds.
1.gif

MermaidKelly

Shiny_Rock
I''m really not sure what my guy is getting me, but we don''t have very much money, so we agreed to 150 max to spend on eachother. He usually gets me something big, and a bunch of little things!
1.gif

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Two things I think...

1. New MAC cosmetic brushes

Our 5 year anniversary is on the 12th so I suspect this Christmas will be a bit more frugal than normal - which I prefer anyway.

fuzzers

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been slowly adding to my Bluenile charm bracelet (check it out on their website!). They have ~100 charms to choose from now, and I picked out my top 12 for BF, so he can pick out one, or however many. I like Christmas to be sort of a surprise, so at least I don''t know which one I''ll be getting this way. I''m assuming he''ll ask for something computer related, or something non-romantic like a gift card! I''ve given up on romantic gifts for him.
20.gif

RoxEHeart

Rough_Rock
I am getting a necklace for Christmas....and now I feel kind of dumb because I have been hoping and praying for a Christmas engagment and I of course asked for something that comes in a small box so the suspense is going to kill me...wondering if it''s a necklace or THE ring! I should have asked for something big, bulky and heavy! LOL

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I got two of my presents early...a new pair of very cool (and very durable!) muck boots to replace the ones I had (they''re shot), and a cute baby pink mini-notebook (looks like a shrunken laptop)! This way I''ll be able to answer emails while I''m at the park with the kids.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results