shape
carat
color
clarity

Small minty gem evades search party...

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions made on my previous post. I know the size range I'm considering now - 4.5 - 5.5mm. I just wanted to post the things that have been suggested so far, and a few others I've found. They're all garnets, although I'd consider other types. I'm waiting for replies to several inquiries regarding rough or unlisted items. Honestly, none of these cut gems really ring my bell. I do like the very first one somewhat, but I'm not sure if it can be purchased outside the pair. Overall, I prefer chunky facets and color wise, I prefer greenish to bluish. Of the two pieces of rough, I like the first better although I think the second is considered closer to top color? I'm assuming that once you start looking for something so specific, patience is king... =) Yet, sometimes it can be hard to wait. :(sad

4.9%20&%205.5.jpg 4.9mm.jpg 5.3mm.jpg merelani_mint_garnet_4.5mm.jpg tsav_0.jpg Rough%201.jpg Rough%202.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I've always liked this one.

312a_large.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you just want a light toned green stone, or maybe yellowish green? Mint is more of a light toned slightly bluish green.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
herekittykitty, that acorn is beautiful. It would take a unique setting to show it off I think. :naughty:

TL, you could be right I'm not sure. Are any of those stones I posted actually mint? :?: I can't be the only one confused by the color since all of them were described as mint even though they're very different.

By now, I've gotten some replies back. Some negative but others with great potential! It's possible I won't have to search too much longer :bigsmile:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Mint can mean lots of different things to different people, just as 'cornflower blue' can. Can you post an 'inspiration pic' of the color you're looking for? That would be a good jumping off point.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Here would be my choice....6 mm, sorry not in your size range but oooooo ~ baby !!!! . :sun:
Yes, TL, we NEED to go to Tanzania.....

Lg-GarnetMintGrossular_88ct.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
ooo~Shiney!|1305546704|2922900 said:

I'm coming too! NEEEED to go!

On my monitor, I'd describe only the 3rd & 4th pics & the 2nd piece of rough as "mint," but it is subjective. I've looked at that acorn for ages but it would be awkward to set, which is probably why it's been slower to sell, although he's sold several other acorns.

BB, if you can put up an example of the color you're looking for, it would be great.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluebirrrd|1305519155|2922802 said:
herekittykitty, that acorn is beautiful. It would take a unique setting to show it off I think. :naughty:

TL, you could be right I'm not sure. Are any of those stones I posted actually mint? :?: I can't be the only one confused by the color since all of them were described as mint even though they're very different.

By now, I've gotten some replies back. Some negative but others with great potential! It's possible I won't have to search too much longer :bigsmile:

Some times it takes a long time to find the right stone. It took me almost two years to find a stone to fit my 8x8 legacy LOGR setting. I hope it doesn't take that long, and I suspect it won't, but patience is a virtue when it comes to colored gems. I have a 10x10mm cushion setting that I'm still waiting to find a gem stone for (it's going on three years :-o ).

Good luck!!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1305548265|2922911 said:
ooo~Shiney!|1305546704|2922900 said:

I'm coming too! NEEEED to go!

I would totally host a GTG. Somehow I don't think anyone would show up. :|

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Okay, lol, you guys are KILLING me with all the different definitions of mint. I've been collecting pictures and here's a collage to illustrate my confusion. :???: Most of it has been called mint, the greener ones that is. Those in the bottom row were called sea foam, and although C4 and C5 might seem to fit in that category, they were actually called mint too. Many of the ones around the middle, though called mint by some are actually not. So as far as what's mint, what's seafoam and what's something else I guess it's open for debate.

But as for my own ideal, I'd be very happy with something like B3. :love: I wouldn't kick the rest out of bed either, but the most blue and most yellow probably wouldn't be getting return phone calls.

Collage2.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Whoa, nice chart! I love your dedication to finding the 'perfect' stone for you (I, too, enjoy the search of looking high and low).

What does your heart tell you? What stone draws you in? In this one you keep returning to? If there is, would you be sad if it sold?

Is the descriptor 'mint' important? Go for the stone that appeals to you. We may not share the same definition of mint, just as we may not share the same definition of cornflower blue.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluebirrrd|1305610951|2923749 said:
Okay, lol, you guys are KILLING me with all the different definitions of mint. I've been collecting pictures and here's a collage to illustrate my confusion. :???: Most of it has been called mint, the greener ones that is. Those in the bottom row were called sea foam, and although C4 and C5 might seem to fit in that category, they were actually called mint too. Many of the ones around the middle, though called mint by some are actually not. So as far as what's mint, what's seafoam and what's something else I guess it's open for debate.

But as for my own ideal, I'd be very happy with something like B3. :love: I wouldn't kick the rest out of bed either, but the most blue and most yellow probably wouldn't be getting return phone calls.

Collage2.jpg

So you want a medium light tone green if you want B3. That's what you should ask vendors for. Tell them no blue or yellow.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
B3 shows minor hints of blue, so I disagree that is a straight green (at least that's what it looks like on my monitor).

Minty brings up connotations of having hints of blue to me. When yellow comes into play, it becomes light grass green. Strangely enough, the actual mint leaves do not show any blue, I don't think. The underside and stem might show hints of blue and red, if my memory serves me well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1305648050|2923954 said:
TL,
B3 shows minor hints of blue, so I disagree that is a straight green (at least that's what it looks like on my monitor).

Minty brings up connotations of having hints of blue to me. When yellow comes into play, it becomes light grass green. Strangely enough, the actual mint leaves do not show any blue, I don't think. The underside and stem might show hints of blue and red, if my memory serves me well.

True, maybe very slightly bluish green with medium light tone.

When I think of mint, I don't think of the leaves, but the coating on mint meltaways. :lickout:

4110936399_71a2e05fda.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
What IS that thing? I've never seen such a candy.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I've never seen that candy either.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, you two need to get out and enjoy yourselves more!!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
TL, I've never seen that candy either but I'd gladly give it a try. It's a very pretty color, kind of like these candies that I definitely know and love:

27_L_melty-mints.jpg

pillowmints_651_general.jpg

Here's some Thai mint. I do think it has a little bit of blue too.

mint.jpg

I've made some progress. The rose gold mounting arrived yesterday :bigsmile: It's very pretty and delicate. I dropped a 5mm sapphire into it and it pretty much got lost. It's cut with a really flat crown though...maybe that makes a difference? Anyway, I think closer to 5.5mm would be a better fit, definitely not smaller.

John at GemRite was extremely helpful and even cut a small piece of rough for me. It came out nearly colorless though and sadly is going in the discard pile. I'm sorry that didn't work out but he was a pleasure to communicate with. I've had bad luck with R2R twice now. Both times I've gotten an initial response and a promise for follow up that never comes. Funny enough, those two pieces of rough I posted had been listed for quite a while. I'd inquired about them before. Then, after I put up the pics, they both mysteriously became reserved. Coincidence, or did someone actually snatch them up after I posted them? :nono: That's okay though, those just weren't meant to be mine.

I sent out a few more inquiries that didn't pan out, except one... I'm on pins and needles trying to be very patient and not get my hopes too high. First, I was told there was nothing - then contact with an old friend resulted in 3 small pieces - finally they arrived - initial inspection indicates amazing potential - rough photos pending - I'm scheduled for cutting next week! Sigh...if it doesn't work out again, it'll be okay, but wish me luck!

I've decided I'm fairly open as far as the color. I love looking at my minty collage and seeing the entire spectrum. I can rule out the most yellow and the least green and it leaves many shades in between that I'd be very happy with as long as they're bright and well cut.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I apologize if you've already considered this, I haven't kept track of every post on this thread recently, but...have you contacted Jeff White? He sent me a photo of a truly beautiful mint garnet Asscher he had cut, surrounded by garnet rough, that sounds as though it might be exactly what you have in mind. I don't want to post the photo without his permission, but you might want to contact him to see if what he has would suit you.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Aoife I've contacted a handful of people and am now patiently waiting while a second person graciously cuts some rough. All suggestions are still welcome and if this falls through I'll be back on the hunt.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results