shape
carat
color
clarity

Small lab grown stones not worth it? (Lightbox)

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
I have been thinking about getting small 0.25 ctw diamond studs to wear with my HPD studs (I have multiple piercings). I have been considering lightbox because I decided I didn’t need to spend that much on these small studs and I assumed lab grown diamonds would be cheaper than mined diamonds. In fact, when I compared lightbox prices to Nordstrom, lightbox was way cheaper. The lightbox studs are around $400.

However, I looked on blue nile and 0.25 ctw studs are only $290 and Costco has studs that only cost $280. What gives?!! It’s not like we even know the color or clarity of the lightbox studs so it’s hard to say that they are higher in color and/or clarity. Does anyone have insight as to this price difference??

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking about getting small 0.25 ctw diamond studs to wear with my HPD studs (I have multiple piercings). I have been considering lightbox because I decided I didn’t need to spend that much on these small studs and I assumed lab grown diamonds would be cheaper than mined diamonds. In fact, when I compared lightbox prices to Nordstrom, lightbox was way cheaper. The lightbox studs are around $400.

However, I looked on blue nile and 0.25 ctw studs are only $290 and Costco has studs that only cost $280. What gives?!! It’s not like we even know the color or clarity of the lightbox studs so it’s hard to say that they are higher in color and/or clarity. Does anyone have insight as to this price difference??
MMD prices are all over the shop at the moment - one can find vast differences for similar stone specs, and there are considerations with regards to CVD vs HPHT options and potential issues that don't always seem to reflect pricing.

At this moment in time it seems that if one can find the quality one wants at the price one is happy with, and is comfortable with writing off the total cost as irrecoverable (because future market demand and new/secondhand prices are anyone's guess right now, so it may be that stones become much cheaper in time) then one should purchase and enjoy and not think about future sale prices!

FWIW, and IIRC, the Lightbox offerings have been assessed as Colourless (in the non-coloured stones, obviously... lol) and VS+ clarity (which would be VVS if they didn't laser their internal identifier logo into the stones), and there appears to be no issues with regards to Stria that can be seen in some CVD diamonds, so it's just the cut being a bit leaky that lets them down.

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
MMD prices are all over the shop at the moment - one can find vast differences for similar stone specs, and there are considerations with regards to CVD vs HPHT options and potential issues that don't always seem to reflect pricing.

At this moment in time it seems that if one can find the quality one wants at the price one is happy with, and is comfortable with writing off the total cost as irrecoverable (because future market demand and new/secondhand prices are anyone's guess right now, so it may be that stones become much cheaper in time) then one should purchase and enjoy and not think about future sale prices!

FWIW, and IIRC, the Lightbox offerings have been assessed as Colourless (in the non-coloured stones, obviously... lol) and VS+ clarity (which would be VVS if they didn't laser their internal identifier logo into the stones), and there appears to be no issues with regards to Stria that can be seen in some CVD diamonds, so it's just the cut being a bit leaky that lets them down.

Thank you for this! I should mention the blue nile and the Costco studs are all natural mined diamonds and around I color. That is why I was surprised that they were so much cheaper than the lightbox diamonds. I guess it probably is the clarity thought because the blue Nile and Costco studs have lower clarity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results